03 Cobra smoking issue

one5oh2nv

Established Member
Hey guys! Have a new to me 03 cobra I picked up about a month ago. Going to be kind of long but ill do my best to shorten it up!

Got the car home and drove it for a few days took it out and did a couple wot pulls mainly 2-3 with one 2-4 pull the last pull I heard some detonation and verified it went lean via wide band, so I let out as soon as i heard/saw this. Well drove a few more days just putting around and noticed a miss so I pulled the plugs. One plug was missing half of the ground strap. So I replaced the plugs and did an oil change since it was unknown to me when the last one was done. Put in 6qts of Mobil 1 5w30. Now fast forward a couple days and started to notice smoke on start up. Did a search on here and found that to be normal.

Few more days later noticed the "puff" was now a cloud. Now last week I've been noticing a cloud every time I start the car, when I leave a light, and in between every shift. This has me kind of worried. So car started with a little miss again so I checked the plugs and decided to do a compression check since I was noticing more and more smoke. Came up wth decent results and nothing that would worry me except that #7 plug is covered in oil. So once again put a new plug in and drove 60 miles pulled the plug and it is oil fouled again.

So with that being said what should I look at and check? I have a feeling it could be valve seals and according to a friend of mine he is thinking the same, but just want to see what others opinions are and other things to check out. Im going to try to do a leakdown on that cylinder in the morning if I can get a tester from a friend!

Also have read about guys switching to mobil 1 and having smoking problems could this be all that is going on or is it something bigger!!??

svtshadow

Banned
What color of smoke?

Blue at Start up only........ Bad valve seals

Blue at Start up, driving, after stop..... Piston rings are done

White smoke---- Burning coolant, like headgasket

Black Smoke----Running a tad rich or a lot rich.

I suspect you destroyed the ringlands or chipped the piston crown

So, without spend a lot of little money here and there trying to figure out the problem, get a leakdown test down. I am afraid your engine is tossed and time for a rebuilt. Been here before.

Good luck!

hotcobra03

Established Member
What about outside of plug..

There is a seal in valve cover to seal spark plug well..

Oil will leak past and burn

one5oh2nv

Established Member
Sorry never got a notification that anyone replied! Ya I going to do a leakdown tomorrow morning. ordered new valve seals. to give it a try and hopefully my buddy can come by with a borescope to peak inside to see what we can see!

It is blue smoke and car runs great but fouls out the plug after 50-60 miles. Im hoping to find out more tomorrow!

Will update then. Had a buddy of mine check it out a little and he seems to think its just the valve seals!

one5oh2nv

Established Member
Also wouldnt rings show their dark side on a compression test? there was no change from dry to wet on #7 thats the only one I did wet because its the only one Im questioning!

Users who are viewing this thread