03 cobra shortblock local only NJ

svt_cobra_03

Established Member
Just pulled my engine out to swap to a 5.3. Has around 85000mi. passenger side compression was good all were between 205-220. drivers side both front cylinders were at 215 3rd cylinder back was at 175 and rear was only 100 after pulling the head off looks like an exhaust valve was burnt up. You can still see the crosshatch on the cylinder walls. Pistons only have carbon on them right now i can see no damage to them. shortblock will not be disassemblied. i would recommend changing the rings or at least checking them. looking to sell locally im located in NJ. I would like to get just a few 100 for it not sure what good price on this is so i will also take offers. Just found out this is an aluminum block part number rf-1L2E. Pretty much a mach 1 engine. Also it is a 6bolt crank il let the flywheel go with it also want this out of the garage. pm me and lets get a deal done! pics will be up later on today. note that everything i need to transfer over to the new shortblock will not be included.
image_zps1ebe044d.jpg
image_zpsd4b3043b.jpg
image_zpsa2ea277d.jpg
image_zps409b3cd9.jpg

image_zps78415d1a.jpg

image_zpsff1ee5f4.jpg

image_zps6e19f23f.jpg

image_zps94ddc9e8.jpg

image_zps7a0cd84e.jpg

image_zpsd1ea21f9.jpg
image_zps749e4e1e.jpg

Last edited:

sc4.6

Established Member
Just a heads up, that isn't an 03 short block, 03's have dished pistons and an iron block, yours is a wap aluminum block with flat top pistons. That's most likely a Mach 1 or 01 cobra short block.

cj428mach

Established Member
Just a heads up, that isn't an 03 short block, 03's have dished pistons and an iron block, yours is a wap aluminum block with flat top pistons. That's most likely a Mach 1 or 01 cobra short block.

Yeah those don't look like terminator connecting rods. The owner got lucky he didn't spit the guts out of the bottom by cranking up the power.

Last edited:

svt_cobra_03

Established Member
damn imma have to search the part numbers.. thanks for the info this was my first time pulling engine out i guess the place i got the car from failed to mention it was not an 03 block and rotating assembly smh

svt_cobra_03

Established Member
yea.. iv been searching the part numbers. Cant believe this place (dealer) sold me a cobra with a different shortblock.. i guess now i know why the compression dropped after changing to a 2.76 upper.

nycarpenter

Established Member
yea.. iv been searching the part numbers. Cant believe this place (dealer) sold me a cobra with a different shortblock.. i guess now i know why the compression dropped after changing to a 2.76 upper.
It happens. Dealers know very little about the cars so they get screwed all the time and pass it along to you the buyer. I think the Mach was a 10:1 engine so most doing a eaton swap on an 01 or Mach etc most run the biggest upper they can find as the pressure will crack pistons and or twist the rods. A 2.76 upper on a non forged engine was a time bomb...

svt_cobra_03

Established Member
i ran maybe 12000 miles on the smaller pulley and i cant tell if any rods were damaged by looking at it. it def sucks but good news is i have a 5.3 stroker shortblock on the way

Users who are viewing this thread