'03 Cobra runnning rich cold/fouling plugs

boss351cj

Established Member
Hello -Has anyone had trouble of hard starts with their '03 Cobra after sitting overnight for example. The car had been blowing blue/black smoke and running rough when accelerating for first 2-3 minutes after overnight starting. I took car back to dealer, and they re-programmed computer with the latest downloaded program from Ford. Now car has loaded plugs up so bad after a couple of days, the car would not start until I changed plugs. I put Motorcraft '32's back in , and car started ok, but runs bad rich until warmup cycle is done(can't hardly make it out of the garage-running on about 4 cylinders). All plugs were dripping wet of gas. The car has no chip it it presently. The dealer has a new ECM ordered for it now, but are unsure if this is the problem. Also, fuel pump and module to regulate pump pressure in trunk were replaced with no help before. The car has 2300 miles on it. Any one else had any similar issues? The car was build in June '02. Thanks-Dave C.

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Haven't heard of that one before, hope someone else can chime in and help. Good luck and please keep us posted! Welcome to the board!

03DOHC

Established Member
There is a SSM about fouled plugs and bad cats. 16126-Plug fouling and plugged cat's. Sounds like they should've changed your plugs and cats too.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
My plugs and cats were changed at 3500 miles for this problem as well.
The service director read the actual memo from Ford to me over the phone.
Take it back and get it fixed.

boss351cj

Established Member
'03 Cobra running rich-loading up /no power until warm

Thank you for responding, but H-pipe/Cats /plugs were already replaced.The latest problem will barely allow you to drive the car in any gear until it warms up(5-10 min later). When warm , it seems to run , but has a miss under load , and performance isn't what it was.(Plugs are probably now bad due to the intense rich condition ) This problem seemed to really get worse with the second factory program download./It appears that excess fuel flow to injectors in cold/start up condition is happening , and it is on all 8 cylinders.

IcebourgGT500

Established Member
Sounds to me the computer needs to be reflashed again. What is the weather like there? Tell the dealer if he can't fix it a chip can and see if they will allow you to do this to help the problem. I had the same problem on a 1996 Cobra.....the computer was telling the injectors to dump twice as much gas as needed......fouled plugs (alot).

Users who are viewing this thread