03 cobra questions KB 2.2

jbentley

Established Member
Im looking at a mustang right now that im prolly going to get. It is a 03 cobra with 19,000 miles. I have some saftey questions for the drive back to Kansas from Indiana. He put the Kenne Bell 2.2 on it with 60# injectors then used a handheld tuner and put a tune on it. There is no mafia, kennebell boosta pump, or CAI on the car. I was wondering if it would be safe to drive from indiana to kansas if i dont WOT?

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
he must only be running the 13lbs(or lowest that the 2.2 will push, whatever it is) of boost then... no smaller pulley, if so it would have gone boom by now... it should be ok to drive home, just dont get ino the boost AT ALL ..... getting into the boost will be when the extra fuel is needed and a mafia to read the rush of air ... baby it home and you should be ok, (if his tune is even worthy of that) handhelds are not the way to go for most ppl on a twin screw setup

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
I would say yes, but I don't want to give you some bad advice. If you stay off the boost(not the easiest thing to do) I don't see where there would be a problem.

You are saying he's running a factory MAF, pumps, and air intake? I might be scared to buy that if he's been driving that car like that. JMO.

jbentley

Established Member
I left some info out so here it is. He just put the KB on it for me. It had the eaton on it up to last weekend. He was going to sale the eaton and put the KB on it. Now he is giving me the eaton to cause he wants my quad lol. The guy tells me he put the KB on and drove it down the block and that was it. He said he is keeping it in a garage tell i get back from iraq to pick it up. I planned on driving it the speed limit all the way home which yes will be hard but i have rebuilt a cobra motor once I WILL NOT DO IT AGAIN.

I have another post for the parts i want to get. I need to find out if im starting off in the right direction. When i get it home im putting a JLP CAI, Mafia, KB boosta pump on it. Im also putting SLP LM2's on it, then heading straight to the dyno to get a dyno tune. If you think that is a good start let me know. I need to figure out a pulley system to?

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
down the block and back is not enough for me ... there aint no telling what type of a/f ratio that motor is seeing from a canned tune. its unsafe, thats something youd have to really trust this guy on, personally... i wouldnt hand over 20k and then the motor pop 25 miles from the guys house, you are now stranded and the car is now your problem once he signs the bill of sale ... id have the a/f checked before driving it home

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
id recommend if this is really the car you want, have him get the a/f checked and pay him for it... that little peace of mind might save you from having to do that second engine rebuild

jbentley

Established Member
Im going to email the guy back and ask him to either get the air/fuel ratio checked or just put the eaton back on ther car. Do you thing that would be a good idea?

jbentley

Established Member
okay i just emailed the guy we will see what he says. This is the car i want cause it has low miles and only 2 owners. The only aftermarket parts was the exhaust up to last weekend. I hope the guy kept the factory injectors.

Jroc

Established Member
Im going to email the guy back and ask him to either get the air/fuel ratio checked or just put the eaton back on ther car. Do you thing that would be a good idea?

Do you still get to keep the KB?

KB 2.2's are a highly sought after commodity. I would never choose a Eaton M112 over a TS.

If he will let you keep the KB then yes I would rather have him put the Eaton back on as the factory MAF, and pumps can hand the power it will make, and it sounds like thats what he had it tuned for. Then after you get the car you buy all the supporting mods you will need, and throw the KB on it, and get it tuned.

jbentley

Established Member
Well the deal was i get the KB cause i have a straight up racing quad he wanted so we were trading. I plan on ordering all the mods once we figure this situation out. I still need some advice on how big of pulleys i should get?

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
Do you still get to keep the KB?

KB 2.2's are a highly sought after commodity. I would never choose a Eaton M112 over a TS.

If he will let you keep the KB then yes I would rather have him put the Eaton back on as the factory MAF, and pumps can hand the power it will make, and it sounds like thats what he had it tuned for. Then after you get the car you buy all the supporting mods you will need, and throw the KB on it, and get it tuned.

x2 better safe than sorry, plus the eaton drive home will still be fun:beer:

ps what color is the cobra?

jbentley

Established Member
I just hope this guy works with me, i guess we will find out. I didnt even want him to put the KB on, but he just wanted to sale the eaton.

The car is black, it reminds me of my 99 cobra that i built. Here are a couple picks of the car. I guess the car has the 95? style cobra rims im not to sure on that though. I do know there not the 03-04.

03cobra007.jpg

03cobra017.jpg

jbentley

Established Member
its not going to blow the motor my buddy ran the same tune with his car for a year and his was fine. if you are worried about it we have aftermarket warranties that will cover the motor for 3 months for 99$. and even that your have 30 days after you buy the car to buy a warranty so if you decide you want a warranty you can buy one. it has damn good coverage too. you can buy a 4 year warranty that covers basically everything for 700 or 800 i cant remember. but if something happens which it wont i can get you a warranty.

This is what the guy had to tell me when i asked him to put the eaton back on LOL

03 svtvenom

Repent!!!
Established Member
I'm a little scared for you bro. I say trade the quad for the KB and thats it. He can keep the car. You can put the KB on another car or sell it to me.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I had a friend throw a 2.2 on my 04 Cobra and he didnt install my boostapump and when I picked the car up from him the head gaskets were blown! You need to ask him what pulley is on the car rite now. Can you afford another car or another engine and this car? I cant believe he installed the 2.2 with out the MAF, BAP, injectors and then no dyno tune. :shrug:

BIGV

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
The OP stated that the guy only drove up and down the street after installing the KB. As long as he is telling the truth I say buy it. Do you know the mileage before the install so you can be positive he didn't drive it?

jbentley

Established Member
Well to answer all of the above. He put 250 miles on the car since putting the KB on it. I have decided to buy the car but im not driving it back. I have a friend that has a trailor and a dodge cummins. Im paying for the fuel and food and we are going to head up there to pick it up. Im also getting a 3 month warranty on the motor so that is a plus.

Users who are viewing this thread