03 cobra paint questions

5_0coyote

Established Member
Well i have a 03 termi zinc yellow it has 50k on it and has quit a bit of rock chips in the front pumper and some marks on rear bumper and side skirt.. Just wondering if i get the front pumper repainted you thing the paint will look a bit darker cause the car is a bit faded then how it was new?

Bigggy

Established Member
A good painter should be able to predict the way the paint will show, but its hard...being plastic is even harder.

Zemedici

Established Member
As stated above, a good painter/body shop will be able to match fading on a car's paint without much problem. Yellow is a rather difficult color, but it can be done by anyone that's worth a shit. Just shop around, and look at their previous work.

5_0coyote

Established Member
As stated above, a good painter/body shop will be able to match fading on a car's paint without much problem. Yellow is a rather difficult color, but it can be done by anyone that's worth a shit. Just shop around, and look at their previous work.

Alright thanks!

5_0coyote

Established Member

You think a paint correction can bring out the color a bit more?

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Yes and no. I don't think paint correction will actually change the color, but the brilliance of the paint could be effected by the defects in the clear coat.

Clean it and apply a wax, it will hide the imperfections. If you think a paint correction is needed, I would do it anyway. That said, a paint correction is about worthless if you don't have good prevention and preservation measures. Proper washing/drying and sealing or waxing for starters.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
and look at their previous work.

This is so important. I have gone through shops that were reputable and thought their work was garbage. Take a look at what they have done and decide if you want to use them. Pictures are fine, but hopefully they have some vehicles around that you can take a look at.

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
as others have said a good painter can match it pretty well. Yellow is a tricky color to match and will be real obvious if they pick the wrong variance from their color chart. May need to pay them an extra hour or so to spray out test cards and to tint the color to get it dead on though.

5_0coyote

Established Member
as others have said a good painter can match it pretty well. Yellow is a tricky color to match and will be real obvious if they pick the wrong variance from their color chart. May need to pay them an extra hour or so to spray out test cards and to tint the color to get it dead on though.

Yeah idk if its almost the price of a repaint then ill just repaint aim just very picky about how the paint is and it had a bit to many marks for my comfort lol.. Thanks for the info tho.

5_0coyote

Established Member
Yes and no. I don't think paint correction will actually change the color, but the brilliance of the paint could be effected by the defects in the clear coat.

Clean it and apply a wax, it will hide the imperfections. If you think a paint correction is needed, I would do it anyway. That said, a paint correction is about worthless if you don't have good prevention and preservation measures. Proper washing/drying and sealing or waxing for starters.
Yeah cause the top of the trunk looks faded in certain lighting and has quit a bit of swirl marks so i have a feeling a paint correction will help but will see. Oh and i have waxed it twice and the paint inst that reflective and shiny.. And thanks for the Info.

Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
Ive had quite a bit re-done on my 04 Screaming Yellow Coupe. Hood, under hood, front bumper, roof, rear quarters and decklid. I originally took it to the Ford dealer where a guy offered to fix a roof dent from the previous owner. 3 tries later he never got it to match close enough. I took it to a custom shop and the guy used to work at Ford. He said the yellows were the toughest to match up and it didnt help that our cars have fiberglass, plastic and metal body panels. Ive had him do everything from then on and you can barely tell.

Users who are viewing this thread