'03 COBRA owners inside...

Jsears8

The Anti-Rice
Established Member
A message form the darkside.. ;)

Alright guys, I have been throwing around the idea of getting an '03 Cobra, a silver coupe to be exact. I need a couple of questions answered first.

1. Can you get an '03 for sticker or less? All the dealers around here are marking them up. Availability?

2. What is the plan for next years Cobra?

3. Do "bolt on" mods such as a pulley, exhaust, intake etc. void the warranty?

4. How much boost can the '03 motor take? How much can the fuel pump support?

I know lots of newbie type questons, but I am new to these cars. :)

Lastly, lets here what your overall opinion of the car is. Fit and Finish, reliability, etc..

Thanks!
Justin

Last edited:

kino

Established Member
Sup partner!
Wonder when you would make your rounds over here.
:beer:

here's the skinny on warranty. By law they have to show that the mods you put on caused the problem if not, your warranty is good; however, they still will give you a hard time depending on the dealer.

Fuel: Not sure here but these guys are at the 500 rwhp mark without much problem.
Boost; i bet with 8:5 CR, pump can go around 21-22psi. I base that on the autorotor installed on a Lightning wich was running that on pump gas.

Check your pm box.

Jsears8

The Anti-Rice
Established Member
LOL, I figured you would be over here too. :) I want I ride in that '03 when you get back in town!

Justin

kino

Established Member
They got alot of us louisiana guys on this board too.
So you get your bike dynoed over at my uncle's shop?

Jsears8

The Anti-Rice
Established Member
Have not had time to dyno the bike yet but will pretty soon.

COBRyan, thanks I guess. You can never have enough badass rides. :cool: My T/A is paid for so I would keep that but sell my bike and use that as a down payment. :( How about answering some of my questions since you have an '03? :)

kino

Established Member
That silver looks real good. :)

There is a thread on the bowling green shootout that has some good pics. Check it out.

BoneCrusher

Established Member
Thanks, I saw the BG Pics, they were sweet--so many nice cars.

I like the silver more and more, especially after the Zaino.

byevette

Momento Mori
Established Member
Originally posted by Jsears8

Alright guys, I have been throwing around the idea of getting an '03 Cobra, a silver coupe to be exact. I need a couple of questions answered first.

1. Can you get an '03 for sticker or less? All the dealers around here are marking them up. Availability?

Lastly, lets here what your overall opinion of the car is. Fit and Finish, reliability, etc..

Thanks!
Justin

Justin,

What's up man, nice to see another LA person.
1)Where have you checked? I called a lot of the dealers. I can give some recomendations and some to avoid.

2)Not sure the plan for the '04

3)Depends on the dealer

4)Sorry, don't know.

Love the car except for a few issues, read my posts.

Again, welcome and let me know what dealers you talked to.

Chris

Love the vid...is that thunder racing?

:beer:

Last edited:

Trader

Established Member
There is a dealer here in MD that has a 03 silver on the showroom floor. 35,400.00 A little over msrp. Plus they put pro 5.0s in all of the cobras they sell. So they guy told me. 200.00 option.

Best thing in the world to do. Have an LS1 and a 03 cobra. That way you can have your own little family races. :)

Jsears8

The Anti-Rice
Established Member
Chris, thanks for the info. Yeah that burnout was infront of Thunder. You have the red '03 that dynoed at the dyno day? I couldn't make it but watched the video on ls1.com you posted.
If you could E-mail me the dealers you recommend that would be awesome. [email protected]

Justin

byevette

Momento Mori
Established Member
Chris, I couldn't make it but watched the video on ls1.com you posted.

Justin,

Thanks for the boost of self confidence, but I did not post that vid on LS1.com, just here at SVT performance. There were quite a few people who pulled out the cameras for my run that day, so who knows.

I'll drop you a line in a few.

Chris

byevette

Momento Mori
Established Member

I can check out the 2 dealers down here if you want...let me know.

Chris

Gatorac

Established Member

Thanks!
Justin

1. Yes. shop around. I drove 200 miles for msrp. Availability is dependent on the dealer. Each dealer as a certain allotment. Ford has a pretty good dealer locator. Start with your zip and work your way out from there. Offer them msrp on the phone. If they say no...on to the next dealer.

2. Most likely no one will know until the 03's are all gone. Cobra's generally skip a production year.

3. If the mod caused the failure, you can bet they are gonna not fix it under warranty. However, they have to prove the mod caused the failure.

4. I doesn't look like anyone has hit the limit yet. There was a thread here a couple of days ago asking about the fuel pump. I'm not sure if they got any answers. Try a search on that one or maybe someone in the know will reply.

My opinion FWIW- I love driving the car. The seat was tight at first but it either stretched out or my ass got smashed in.:) Fit and finish are average for an American made car.:( The car handles and stops like a mutha. :thumbsup: The seating postion will seem too high and the shifter will seem too far foward after driving and F-body. The 03 seems to be taking simple mods very well.

After 3500 miles the only thing I've had to do was rebalance the wheels and fix some weather stip coming out from under the rear spoiler. I drive it like I stole it too.

I would buy the car again in a heartbeat! The only change would be the color. Fords metallic paints are awsome. The solid colors...well:( . It just looks so damn good in black.:-D

If you decide to get one, make sure to take if for a good test drive. Some have reported the following problems.
1. severe right hand pull. Mine pulls with the crown of the road mainly because of having 275's up front.
2. Driveline vibration over 80 mph. There is a fix for this issue and dealers are taking care of it.
3. Some of the early cars had apperently gotten "bad" gas from the factor and caused the cats to overheat and melt the guts. I haven't heard of anyone haveing that problem lately.

Mine has had none of these issues.

Jsears8

The Anti-Rice
Established Member
Thanks Gatorac, I agree with the seating position. I have driven the new GTs and it feels like driving a bus. ;)

Justin

Users who are viewing this thread