03 Cobra overheating? Why?

robs1280

Cruiser-Head
Established Member
Ok, let me start off by saying that the car is completely stock, except for an slp x and a borla cat back... I have owned my car for about a month now and I have noticed a slight leak coming from the upper radiator hose. At first I didn't know where the leak was coming from, but I would always notice a slight drip or two when the car would be turned off and cooled off. So I finally found where the leak was, the upper hose had a little rip where the coolant was leaking from.. 3 weeks went buy without me addressing this problem. I would notice a nice little puddle of coolant (about 6x6") everytime I would turn the car off and I would look underneath. Me, like a dumbass never fixed the problem and even worse, never even refilled the resorvior with the coolant that was getting lost everytime I turned off the car.. Before my almost overheating incident today, I did notice that the coolant level was well underneath the line on the resorvior, but decided I didnt have time too fill up:rolleyes: .. So today, on my way to work, immeditlay the service engine soon light came on.. Drove it all the way to work parked it, and went about my day.. after work, I started it to go home and everything was fine, except for the MIL on.. Half way home, and I notcied my car bogged down when I give it a little more throttle, and immediately thought that was kind of akward. I glance at my guages and bam, to my surprise the damn temperture guage was 3/4's down..The car was running hotter than usual. I immeditaely turned on the heater full blast, but that didn't work at all. The needle was still steady rising. I decided to pull over and turned off the car. I let it cool down and started it again since I was only like 3 mins away form my house.. I got home turned the car off and let it sit for about an hr and half.. When I finally got a chance to see where the coolant level was I noticed that there wasen't any coolant in the resorvior.. I filled it up to capacity, and started her up again and let her run for about 5 mins.. I noticed the needle rising again.. Although this time I didn't check the level, perhaps the coolant level dropped and it needed more? Or maybe it has another problem like a bad thermostat? Do you guys think the service engine MIL light has something to do with this? Maybe reading a low coolant level, or perhaps a bad part/such as thermostat.. another interesting note I forgot to mention, was that after a couple of mins of having the heater on while driving home so the car wouldn't overheat badly, the air coming from the vents got cold, like if I was almost running the AC? Why did this happen.? What's this a sign of? Low coolant level, or no coolant..? Or bad thermostat? what do you guys think? I know what I am doing next, replacing ripped rad. hose, and flushing out coolant and adding new.....Any input..?

Last edited:

03snakerush

Established Member
You absolutely need to replace the leaking hose and clamps. You MUST- bleed out the air that's now in the system. There are several good threads here with pics that show how members have done this. It's a very specific procedure and you'll be chasing your tail if you don't follow it.( more overheating) Do a search and you'll find it. Good luck- and no more turning a blind eye to obvious problems...:nonono: ....:beer:

robs1280

Cruiser-Head
Established Member
What I dumbass I am .. I pride myself in maintaning my vehicles mesticulisly and here I am neglecting a stupid little problem:nonono: So i take it you don't think it is a bad thermostat?

Oxford Snake

Established Member
Definately run a search on "burping the coolant system". You will need to let the car completely cool and then using a 1/4" drive ratchet remove the plug from the crossover tube. Remove the reservoir cap and fill the coolant system from the crossover tube. You will find the rest of the info you need thru a search.

Good luck.

robs1280

Cruiser-Head
Established Member
If I take it to my local ford dealer to do a flush on the radiator and put new coolant, that would obviuosly take care of getting all the air out of the system right?

03snakerush

Established Member
robs1280 said:
What I dumbass I am .. I pride myself in maintaning my vehicles mesticulisly and here I am neglecting a stupid little problem:nonono: So i take it you don't think it is a bad thermostat?

Based on what you described- no. But then again when you overheat the engine it's not a bad idea to replace the t-stat anyway. Since you'll want to fully drain the system before your repairs, put in a new t-stat as a good pre-vent measure and make sure you get the correct color coolant type from Ford. That is critical with Ford engines.

03snakerush

Established Member
robs1280 said:
If I take it to my local ford dealer to do a flush on the radiator and put new coolant, that would obviuosly take care of getting all the air out of the system right?
If you do that- do yourself a favor and have it towed over there to avoid you know what....

robs1280

Cruiser-Head
Established Member
03snakerush said:
If you do that- do yourself a favor and have it towed over there to avoid you know what....
Thanks 03snakerush for your help! Fortunetly, I live about a block away from my ford dealer...Any ball park figure on how much it would cost for a thermostat replacment by ford...?

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
robs1280 said:
Just do the flush yourself.... it's VERY easy.

03snakerush

Established Member
robs1280 said:
Thanks 03snakerush for your help! Fortunetly, I live about a block away from my ford dealer...Any ball park figure on how much it would cost for a thermostat replacment by ford...?
Probably about a 1 hour labor charge plus parts. Figure in the $140 to $170 range including parts. Off topic- you ever cruise over to Mountain Mikes Pizza for the get togethers during the summer with all the Cobra/Lighting owners? Lighting Larry and 03DOHC usually give a heads up when one is going to happen. Check it out this spring/summer!!:beer:

robs1280

Cruiser-Head
Established Member
03snakerush said:
Probably about a 1 hour labor charge plus parts. Figure in the $140 to $170 range including parts. Off topic- you ever cruise over to Mountain Mikes Pizza for the get togethers during the summer with all the Cobra/Lighting owners? Lighting Larry and 03DOHC usually give a heads up when one is going to happen. Check it out this spring/summer!!:beer:
Nope, never have... I think lightning larry is from redwood city though.. I would defininlty be down for that... What Mountian mikes, the one in redwood city/san carlos?

black_on_black

Got Boost?
Established Member
Please dude, DONT drive it again!!!! Wait until you get the overheating issue fixed. I am a prime example of what happens if you keep trying to drive it. I blew a head gasket!! Mine problem started off just like yours did, and I ****ed up and kept driving it and when the head gasket whent I warped the heads and thats not a cheap fix. If you do the burping method that some people have posted up on here it will more than likely fix your problem, but DO IT right. And then take it to Ford and let them do the t-stat if your not confident in doing it. Good luck

03snakerush

Established Member
Good advice from BLACKONBLACK there. To answer your last question in regards to which Mountain Mikes- it's the one closest to the whipple ave. exit.
Please post a follow up to how things went either fixing it yourself or at the dealership. :beer:

03nightmare

BRAD
Established Member
I recommend changeing those crapy spring style hose clamps to some good hose clamps those spring clamps get loose over time. good thing to change while the cooling system is already empty. if you never move them they stay but as soon as you have to replace hoses and things they could leak, any type of leaking creates air in the cooling system which in turn causes overheating. please make sure at the least you get that thing bled correctly, the cobras are really touchy when it comes to the cooling system.

robs1280

Cruiser-Head
Established Member
Thanks everyone for all the input! I really appreciate it..:beer: I am just going to tackle the job myself.. Correct me if I am wrong, but to do this job myself I plain to just drain the coolant or whatever is left of the coolant in the system by dissconnecting the bottom radiator hose and letting all that crap come out, then connecting the hose back up.. Fill up the reservoir to capacity, and turn the car on with the cap off.. Wait for the thermostat to open and then fill to capcity again untill it tops out... Does this sound right? Is the Coolant reservoir the only place to fill up the radiator with coolant or does the radiator have its own cap/ opening to fill up? I know, these are totally newbie questions, I am used to working my Land crusers, and not these newer modular engines... Thanks again...

Last edited:

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Use distilled water rather than tap water (which is usually high in minerals which will eventtually clog your radiator).

robs1280

Cruiser-Head
Established Member
U guys are awesome! Thanks a lot for all the help and advice:rockon: .. I will tackle this job on saturday, will post results.....

black_on_black

Got Boost?
Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread