'03 cobra or '02 Z06

cobra4rat

Established Member
i finally got the ok from the wife to get a '03 cobra from 1 of you guy's once our house sell's and we get settled in our new house in kentucky. but the other day she sez i've always wanted a vette. i said HA NO! the only vette you would catch me in would be a Z06 and she replied ok. (of course not a new one) i've already got plans for my soon to be cobra. and for 1 i'm NOT a chevy guy. and i don't think a Z06 can be modded like a cobra unless you've got 20K for a TT kit. what would you do???? :shrug: and before you say it i DO ware the pant's. but she does pull in some good $$ so it's only fair to atleast listen? keeps em happy. other than th extra HP whats the big diff. between a norm. C5 and the Z06?

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
cfl4rat said:
i finally got the ok from the wife to get a '03 cobra from 1 of you guy's once our house sell's and we get settled in our new house in kentucky. but the other day she sez i've always wanted a vette. i said HA NO! the only vette you would catch me in would be a Z06 and she replied ok. (of course not a new one) i've already got plans for my soon to be cobra. and for 1 i'm NOT a chevy guy. and i don't think a Z06 can be modded like a cobra unless you've got 20K for a TT kit. what would you do???? :shrug: and before you say it i DO ware the pant's. but she does pull in some good $$ so it's only fair to atleast listen? keeps em happy. other than th extra HP whats the big diff. between a norm. C5 and the Z06?

Doesn't the Z06 also have "Z06 specific thin glass" as part of its weight reduction and much larger brakes? Personally, I would not contemplate a Corvette unless it was a Z06. If I were to buy a 03/04 Cobra, I would lean toward one of the lesser seen, '03 10th anniv. or '04 Mystichromes.

R

lloyyd

Cobra-less again
Established Member
Just my opinion, the Cobra is an enthusiast's car, the Vette says "I'm old & have some money & I drive slow & stare straight ahead & have silver hair." At least thats how it is where I'm at. :D
Seriously, you'd probably be happy with either, but I 'd get the Cobra. :rockon:

SSSNAKE04

Established Member
depends on what you want out of the cars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i would not get the regular C5 it would have to be the C5 LS6...not LS1...
Cobras are more fun in my opinion a lot less money to modify, also they have a built engine that can handle a lot more hp then a stock LS6....

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
This is a tough one... Zo's are bad ass no doubt,some heads/cam/intake work and they are mean... nothing you buy will give you bolt on power like a Cobra tho... I love my Cobra and 10th anniv. are sweet...

Orange Poison

Established Member
Cobra!

and not to mention the Cobra looks WAY better IMO.

Funny thing....I have never in all the 4 years since the Terminator has been out, that I've ever heard of anyone complaining or ragging on the Terminator's looks. They're just so damn good looking!

Last edited:

cobra4rat

Established Member
so what does the Z06 have the LS1 or the LS6? what do they weigh? will a pullied cobra take a Z06? do they have a wheel hop prob. with their IRS? i'm with ya on the old guy thing w/to much $$.

redfiredroptop

Now with more GT500!
Established Member
It really depends on what you want. I think the N/A Z06 would be a much better track car. It is also much stiffer than a Mustang. Personally, I hate the styling of the C-5 Corvette, and the ride of the Z06 is too harsh. For a daily driver, I am happy with the Terminator.

If you did want to go the C-5 Z06 route, I know someone who just had a Vortech supercharger installed with an intercooler and methane injection. With exhaust, headers, and a CAI the car is running 530 RWHP.

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
C5 = Cammaro engine = LS1-LOL
Zo6 has a LS6 witch I think is the same short block but better heads- cam- intake from the factory, Im not sure I drive Cobras...
I also think C5's are damn sexy...
I think upper pulley Cobras beat stock Zo's but Im not sure...

SSSNAKE04

Established Member
My stock cobra hang with a z06 that had CB and after market rockers!!!
we had 2 races from a roll.....from 50mph till about 110mph i was there nack to nack..after that he pulled on me at least 3-4 cars till 140mph....

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
SSSNAKE04 said:
My stock cobra hang with a z06 that had CB and after market rockers!!!
we had 2 races from a roll.....from 50mph till about 110mph i was there nack to nack..after that he pulled on me at least 3-4 cars till 140mph....
There you go...
Cobra + pulley = Pimp smack a Zo6

2 SLOW

Keepin' it real
Established Member
a pulley only cobra would be a good race for a z06 with intake and catback, with the z06 taking it almost every time with good drivers

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
2 SLOW said:
a pulley only cobra would be a good race for a z06 with intake and catback, with the z06 taking it almost every time with good drivers
With a pulley, C/B and a tune that puts a Cobra at around 460RWHP, what are Zo's? With intke and exhaust? Also what do Zo's run in the 1/4? I think a Cobra with those mods is a mid to high 11 car... Im not up to date on Zo's WE NEED SOME FACTS! WHO HAS THEM! :thumbsup:

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
I'm assuming you'd mod either car, so I think it depends what your final goals are. If you just want a fast streetcar, get the Z06. It's lighter, has better traction, handles better, gets much better gas mileage (what's gas cost nowadays?), has better braking, and a better interior. It can go mid/low 11's without a whole lot of work. Think heads/cams plus supporting mods.

If you need the back seat get the cobra. Or if you want to mod the car to go 10's, do the cobra.

Also, keep in mind you can buy either car complete with the mods you want since you are buying used. So basically cost of mods might not be a factor if it comes with the car.

But if you thinking vet, I might splurge for a base C6. It's very close to the 02 Z06, but more refined.

Patisi

Established Member
lloyyd said:
Just my opinion, the Cobra is an enthusiast's car, the Vette says "I'm old & have some money & I drive slow & stare straight ahead & have silver hair." At least thats how it is where I'm at. :D
Seriously, you'd probably be happy with either, but I 'd get the Cobra. :rockon:

Oh Bull, maybe in your part of the country. A Vette says old, if you can't afford one. Give me an '06 C6 Z06 and call me old all day while you look at my rear lights. You say old, I say you wish.

lloyyd

Cobra-less again
Established Member
lloyyd said:
At least thats how it is where I'm at. :D
Don't get your feathers ruffled there buddy, It was just a joke. :poke:

Users who are viewing this thread