03 cobra oem pm valve guides still available ?

xX03COBRAXx

Established Member
Hey just wondering if anyone knows if oem 03 cobra pm valve guides are still available for purchase from a company or vendor?

oldmodman

Established Member
Yes.

If not from Rotunda (factory Ford supplier) than from any normal machine shop. They are just cast iron guides. Nothing special. As a matter of fact it's the factory sloppy guide to valve fit that causes the infamous "tick" The fit can be so poor that the valve won't even seat when closed.

It's not the guide material that caused all the problems, it was the fit from the factory. The valve to guide clearance was simply too large.

Iron is actually quite a good guide material. It will hold quite a bit of oil due to it's porosity. Many of the guide blanks actually have embedded graphite, which is a very good lubricant in itself.

Here is one iron stock guide as speced for the 2003/2004 cobra engine
http://www.sbi-e-catalog.com/PartDetail.aspx?PartNumber=140-8274&PartType=Valve Guides

SlowSVT

Established Member
Yes.

If not from Rotunda (factory Ford supplier) than from any normal machine shop. They are just cast iron guides. Nothing special. As a matter of fact it's the factory sloppy guide to valve fit that causes the infamous "tick" The fit can be so poor that the valve won't even seat when closed.

It's not the guide material that caused all the problems, it was the fit from the factory. The valve to guide clearance was simply too large.

Iron is actually quite a good guide material. It will hold quite a bit of oil due to it's porosity. Many of the guide blanks actually have embedded graphite, which is a very good lubricant in itself.

Here is one iron stock guide as speced for the 2003/2004 cobra engine
http://www.sbi-e-catalog.com/PartDetail.aspx?PartNumber=140-8274&PartType=Valve Guides

Hah?

Cast iron valve guides.

They are powdered metal just like the retainers and the cam lobes. Why on earth would Ford choose iron which is relatively soft (cast iron Rockwell harness is measured using the "B" scale not "C") which will wear faster and needs to be machined? Pressure formed powdered metal on the other hand are extremely hard to the point metal file just slides over the surface, has excellent wear characteristics, accurate because they come out of a die and are relatively inexpensive to manufacture. I don't think you can find anyone who even manufactures iron guides for a mod motor and is not something I would be eager to have in my engine anyway. I would take PM even over steel it has a very smooth surface finish having no machine marks and very low coefficient of friction.

Users who are viewing this thread