03 cobra motor in an 90 lx?

what zo6

Hi guys i have been a long time lerker around here, and now i have a question to ask you guys. Well i have a 90 lx w/the basic bolt ons and i know a guy that owns a junk yard and he just got in a wrecked cobra. I was just wondering what kind of things and how much money would i be looking at to swap the motor and all other things to make it run. I want to do it right. If u think that its a dump idea pls let me know. thanks in advanced for the help.

85FourEyedGT

I AM HOOK!
Established Member
its not a bad idea at all, but its expensive

it would probably be best to just buy the entire cobra as a donor car, its probably tough to get past the Passive anti theft, then heat exhanger mounting, exhaust, transmission, different brake system, not to mention the engine is a fairly tight fit for that engine compartment, if you have the experience, time and money then i say go for it, defenitely a huge convo piece at meets and shows

Scout238

Eaton Poweredddddd!!!
Established Member
I think it would be do-able... but pretty extensive! ... and expensive I'm sure.

Would be badass, keep us posted

Screamin_Heaton

At war with STALL issue
Established Member
Just think of it this way......

The beloved 2008 Z06 is rated at 505hp and weighs around 3200lbs.
You usually need at least 100-150 more hp in a Terminator to take it down due to it weighing around 3800lbs.

A 1990 LX weighs in at a very nice 2775lbs (4cyl coupe model)
You put a 03/04 Cobra motor in that thing, add lets say 200lbs(for motor weight diff) and pulley, exhaust and tune and your looking at a 450-500rwhp car the weighs around 300lbs less than a Z06.

Areodynamics are your only downfall.

I would say go for it. Can you use the same K-member and A-arms out of the donor cobra???

68_GT

Terminated '98
Established Member
in a fox body it's not a simple swap

that deal is pretty extensive to make it work. There is a sweet notch that did it but I saw his build webpage and all I could say was damn that guy really wanted that motor in there.

HASFANGS

Established Member
Can and has been done, search around:

P1011014.jpg

SicOne

Established Member
seen many with the termi motor. seen a few with the interior as well. I have no pointers but corral is a good start as well.

Qwk GT

Established Member
I've seen it in mags and seen a couple at some shows, although I'm not sure what is required to get it to work. I think maximum motorsports has a k-member, and I agree that you may as well buy the entire ca if you can get a good enough deal. Who knows what you would need.

Just guessing, you would need:
k-member,complete engine,computer,wiring harness, tranny (or bellhousing to adapt a 5spd), intercooler and plumbing....

I'm sure I'm missing a lot, but thats what I would guess. Sounds like it'll add up quick.

Users who are viewing this thread