"03 Cobra killer" dyno numbers ;)

Chris95SVT

Terminate THIS!
Established Member
I'm totally messing around and don't want to start a flame fest, but I'm pretty proud of my stock little shortblock so far. I was always jealous of the 03 Cobra and the numbers that you can retain with a stock block.

Well this is a testament to the good ole 5.0. Slap a turbo on it, some fuel, a good manangement system, and heads. And you got yourself a great street car.

So, on a whim, I decided to dyno the Cobra at XX tuning.

Wanted to push pump gas as far as I could with the car, though I think she had a bit more, I didn't want to push the stock block too hard. All in all the numbers on pump exceeded my best ever numbers on race gas last year, which is to be expected with DFI.

Best pull on pump gas was 513rwhp/527rwtq with pretty conservative timing, and a nice 11.2-11.5 A/F ratio. I guess we coulda pushed harder, but I just didn't feel like hurting anything this early in the game. This was at 14.5-15psi.

Then the fun begins..

We dump 5 gallons of 118 in her, and start to ease the boost up, little at a time. Each pull we do, we gain about 20-30 rwhp. The car started to smoke some, but none of us though anything of it. More boost ='s blowby and we thought it was normal. So after about 6 pulls on race gas, we made a nice 575rwhp/615rwtq @18.5psi.

Then the car started to smoke bad, just when we were about to do the 20psi pulls, which woulda been the peak boost I was planning on running. After looking over the car, we really couldn't notice anything bad. But the smoke was so bad, that I couldn't continue with the dyno pulls. We checked a plug, and it looked perfect... So we thought that maybe the oil I put in, broke down and was going past the turbo seal. Changed the oil, put some 20-50 Amsoil Race oil in it, and the smoking just got worse..

So I back the car out of the dyno to find this on the floor (thanks to Dan for the thumbs up)

1turbooil3-med.JPG

and..

1turbooil1-med.JPG

and best of all...

1turbooil2-med.JPG

Needless to say kids, that's what happens when you blow a turbo seal. Raw oil just pukes out of the downpipe. I'm happy it's not the motor, though I wish it coulda held out until we made the peak numbers. 5 hours on the dyno tuning, and tweaking. I will make my 600+ rwhp. :angry:

Huge Huge thanks to XX Tuning for the dyno time, and to SteedaJeff and TurboDan for their guidance, without them, I woulda been lost tonight. Thanks guys..

"I'll be back"

1bogartsBest1-med.JPG

Chris95SVT

Terminate THIS!
Established Member
Thanks guys..

Good news is, we think the Turbo is still under warrenty, I hope.

Even better that the oil isn't from the engine.

GixRider

Established Member
Hate to break it to you but you will split that block at that level. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow but give it a month an it will go kaboom.

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
super cool!

and who cares if it blows up in a month. Its all about pushing the envelope and having fun. Congrats and goodluck.

Chris95SVT

Terminate THIS!
Established Member
Originally posted by GixRider
Hate to break it to you but you will split that block at that level. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow but give it a month an it will go kaboom.

And your point is?

There are PLENTY of people at this power level running low 10's with Turbo's. We have a few guys on TurboMustangs.com running in the 9's with the stock shortblock.

Am I pushing the limits of the motor, sure I am, but when you go to the track with anything, built or not, isn't that the point? :shrug:

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Originally posted by Chris95SVT
And your point is?

There are PLENTY of people at this power level running low 10's with Turbo's. We have a few guys on TurboMustangs.com running in the 9's with the stock shortblock.

Am I pushing the limits of the motor, sure I am, but when you go to the track with anything, built or not, isn't that the point? :shrug:

:rockon: Awesome #'s by the way.

GixRider

Established Member
Since you brought up TurboMustangs. How long did Trents stock short block last at 550+ hp? My point is you can turn the boost up and make good numbers but how long is that going to last?

Last edited:

Chris95SVT

Terminate THIS!
Established Member
Since you brought up TurboMustangs. How long did Trents stock short block last at 550+ hp? My point is you can turn the boost up and make good numbers but how long is that going to last?

Not really sure, but I don't plan on pushing the car that hard all the time, I wanted to tune WOT on the dyno with max boost. Just so I am ready for the track. When the block decides it's had enough, then I will put this in, which is waiting in my garage. So no worries.

1R302_4-med.JPG

GixRider

Established Member
Now thats what impresses me. Nice block. Hurry up and build that sucker so you can leave the boost on overkill. Happy hunting!

Chris95SVT

Terminate THIS!
Established Member
Now thats what impresses me. Nice block. Hurry up and build that sucker so you can leave the boost on overkill. Happy hunting!

I'm prepared, I just didn't want to waste a perfectly good 302.. :-D

Users who are viewing this thread