03 Cobra IRS Swap is done! (lots of pics)

Chris95SVT

Terminate THIS!
Established Member
Well, A couple weeks ago Dave(juiced46) and I got to talking about doing a a swap, his rear for My girlfriends 2000 GT. Well this weekend it finally happened. Started pulling Sandy's Solid rear out at about 4:30 on Saturday, and by 7pm it was on the floor and ready to go in Daves car. By 11:30pm, Dave had a Solid Rear car, and we had an IRS ready to go into Sandy's car for Sunday morning. The most time consuming parts where pulling the old IRS bushings out and getting the new Maximum Motorsports bushings in. The rear end swaps over all were pretty easy (On the lift) and the hardest part was getting the rears to line up.. Over all I can honestly say that Sandy's car sounds, Rides, and feels soo much better, and Now Dave can launch his car without the worries of shattering the axles in his car.

A huge HUGE thanks goes out to XX Tuning for letting us use the lifts/tools/Shop and supplies. Also I would like to thank SteedaJeff for sticking it through with me all weekend and to Dave, TurboDan, Jack and Tom for all their help. Here are some pics of the weekend.. :)

1IRSswap01-med.JPG

1IRSswap02-med.JPG

1IRSswap03-med.JPG

1IRSswap07-med.JPG

1IRSswap08-med.JPG

1IRSswap09-med.JPG

1IRSswap11-med.JPG

1IRSswap12-med.JPG

1IRSswap17-med.JPG

1IRSswap18-med.JPG

1IRSswap22-med.JPG

1IRSswap21-med.JPG

1IRSswap30-med.JPG

1IRSswap32-med.JPG

1IRSswap41-med.JPG

KrakeN

Established Member
man, i would have been great if you could have take a side by side picture of the Solid and the IRS axle. I dont know what the difference is and I have always wanted to know.

Nice pics.

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
solid rear axle means that the axle is all one piece -
RS (independent rear suspension) means that it's basically both different, meaning instead of the whole rear going up when it hits a bump on the left, only the left side would go up.

KrakeN

Established Member
Originally posted by Vancouver83LTD
solid rear axle means that the axle is all one piece -
RS (independent rear suspension) means that it's basically both different, meaning instead of the whole rear going up when it hits a bump on the left, only the left side would go up.

That makes plenty of sense, thanks man :)

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
yeah, I hoped I explained it well enough... Basically, it means that each side is independent of each other and doesn't affect the other side. it's not quite as good for taking off during a drag though because the wheels want to hop around. Smoother ride is the advantage of IRS, as only one side is affected instead of the whole axle thmping around

That's how I understand it anyways, anyone want to prove me wrong or elaborate?

Last edited:

wannabesvtdude

Established Member
Originally posted by Vancouver83LTD
yeah, I hoped I explained it well enough... Basically, it means that each side is independent of each other and doesn't affect the other side. it's not quite as good for taking off during a drag though because the wheels want to hop around. Smoother ride is the advantage of IRS, as only one side is affected instead of the whole axle thmping around

That's how I understand it anyways, anyone want to prove me wrong or elaborate?

Enough said..........
:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread