03 Cobra Intercooler 2.1 KB

leegro1015

Established Member
Ok so i have a 2001 Cobra with the Kenne Bell 2.1 and the air charge temps are gettin up there in temps and is pulling timing, thus reducing power. Kenne Bell wants $2,000 for the intercooler upgrade. The supercharger uses the factory 03 Cobra lower manifold. so would it be safe to say that you could just get the intercooler setup from an 03 04 cobra? and wouldnt it be cheaper? Any help on this would be great.

2001 Cobra
Kenne Bell 2.1l
Kenne Bell Cold Air 90mm Mass Air
Magnaflow Cat-Back

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
Have you checked to see what an 03/04 cobra KB kit has for parts compared to yours? That may help answer your question. I would think that if your car currently has the 03 cobra lower intake on it you could run the 03/04 intercooler setup. If your alternator is still in the stock 01 location that will be an issue because thats where a coolant adapter goes on the lower intake. It takes a couple hoses from the i/c system and runs water thru the i/c and then returns it to flow thru the rest of the system. Does the KB kit run the belts and accessories just like an 03/04?

leegro1015

Established Member
The alternator is mounted reverse and out of the way. Currently there is a blocking plate there. Per the instructions for the intercooled kit no other modifications are needed except the pump, reservoir, pump lines, intercooler and heat exchanger.

blacksnake305

Established Member
Just install Methanol and never look back. I plan on the AIS 250psi pump sometime in the future... much more effective than the air/water intercooler and does not reduce boost pressure (which I would think adding the 03' intercooler might do)...

my .02

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
The alternator is mounted reverse and out of the way. Currently there is a blocking plate there. Per the instructions for the intercooled kit no other modifications are needed except the pump, reservoir, pump lines, intercooler and heat exchanger.

I agree that 2 grand is ridiculous for the KB kit. I bet you could make it work. Just find out how similar your belt route and accessory setup is to an 03 cobra and go from there.

IceMan03

Established Member
I think that you have already answered your own question about adding the 03/04 Cobra intercooler setup. The best part is that the parts needed for the swap can be bought on here pretty cheap incomparison to KB's kit. As for the intercooler, some simply reccommend just buying a used 03/04 Cobra intercooler, but I have been there and I got burned. The problem that I ran into was when I bought the used intercooler, the person that I bought it from said it had roughly 30,xxx miles on it. O bought it and sent it out to have it sonic cleaned and it came back looking brand new and extremely clean. It ran was on the car for about 5,xxx miles and split. I then pulled the Eaton off and saw the damage on the side of the intercooler, I carried it to a local radiator shop, they looked at it and said they could fix it, but they reccommend me getting a new one because if they fixed the problem with welding or brazing it, they felt that by welding it or brazing it would potentialy "weaken" the aluminum and cause a major problem. I can see where they were coming from on that so I decided to head over to the Ford dealership and that is where I decided there had to be a better intercooler for alot less money than they wanted. So I searched the web for 2-3 days and ran across this company and their products Velocity Turbo Systems, LLC I decided to buy it and man was I blown away with the quality of this unit incomparison to the stock unit. I bolted it on and then decided to see if there were any gains from this unit. I data logged it before and after, using the old data logs for comparison prior to the OEM unit failing. The IAT's dropped an average of 18-21 degrees while just daily driving to a from work with a weekly pull from 50-120mph. This was with the factory reccommend fill and no other cooling mods or tanks. I hope this helps, now I'm saving up to get a ported blower and some of these gaskets from them Velocity Turbo Systems, LLC I called Stephen over at VTS and which they will be available for us Eaton users soon. He is a great guy and easy to talk to as well and not to mention that when anyone calls he himself picks up the phone.:beer:

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Just install Methanol and never look back. I plan on the AIS 250psi pump sometime in the future... much more effective than the air/water intercooler and does not reduce boost pressure (which I would think adding the 03' intercooler might do)...

my .02

Meth injection more effective than an air to water intercooler on a PD blower? I dont think so!

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Interesting topic. I am planning on a "C" head swap and was looking at KB 2.1's Nice to know it is cheaper to pick up the parts to intercool it then a whole KB kit.

blacksnake305

Established Member
Meth injection more effective than an air to water intercooler on a PD blower? I dont think so!

Really? I don't claim to be an expert, but AIS claims their kit can pull up to 100 degrees of heat from the intake charge. Now i'm simply using logic here, but I would doubt VERY highly that the hot little radiator between the engine and intake would reduce inlet temps that much, especially when the coolant relys completely on the front mounted air/water exchanger (which is dependant on the environment. But maybe i'm wrong. If I am, I'd like to see a technical explanation as to why...

blacksnake305

IceMan03

Established Member
After doing some more research about VTS, low and behold thier intercooler and heat exchanger was used on the New Record setting Land Speed Mustang a few months back, read the comments below the article http://blogs.mustang50magazine.com/6...alt/index.html Here's a pic of the car Home 2 VTS logo is right above the Mahle logo. Here is the offical site also Home Page VTS racing is on the sponsor list at the bottom, just click on the "left" and "right" arrows to scroll. Here is some info that I was able dig up as well about the cars intercooler and heat exchanger performance yielded a consistent 72 deg F charge temp at 1200hp over a 5 mile run, that is very impressive! As far as the ECU pulling timing and decreasing the overall performance these intercoolers and heat exchangers are designed to keep that from happening some that we can beable to run "more" timing and benefit from that as well and increasing the EFFICIENCY of the engine.

IceMan03

Established Member

Meth injection works very well "IF" the nozzle location is correct and it also depends on what mix of meth/water, straight meth or windsheild washer fluid. Yes it is very effective but how many times will one have to fill the meth/water tank on a weekly bases to keep up with the same performance of an air to water intercooler on a PD application? Don't get me wrong I'm currently wroking on pre t-body and below the intercooler meth/water injection system, I do belive in it and it works.:beer:

Really? I don't claim to be an expert, but AIS claims their kit can pull up to 100 degrees of heat from the intake charge. Now i'm simply using logic here, but I would doubt VERY highly that the hot little radiator between the engine and intake would reduce inlet temps that much, especially when the coolant relys completely on the front mounted air/water exchanger (which is dependant on the environment. But maybe i'm wrong. If I am, I'd like to see a technical explanation as to why...

blacksnake305

I have had and seen dyno graphs and data logging graphs from many different meth/water injection system companys. AIS is of of the top 3 leaders in the meth/water injections industry. 100 degree's being pulled from the intake is very possible, but 2 major things must take place for this to happen, #1 is the location(s) of the nozzle(s) and the mixture of the meth.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member

blacksnake305

There was a reason I said with a PD blower. The problem is the water/meth will burn up when it hits the screws and the cooling effect is lost. Obviously the PD blowers are not like turbo or centri applications, who would see more benefit from water/meth injection.

blacksnake305

Established Member
Meth injection works very well "IF" the nozzle location is correct and it also depends on what mix of meth/water, straight meth or windsheild washer fluid. Yes it is very effective but how many times will one have to fill the meth/water tank on a weekly bases to keep up with the same performance of an air to water intercooler on a PD application? Don't get me wrong I'm currently wroking on pre t-body and below the intercooler meth/water injection system, I do belive in it and it works.:beer:

I have had and seen dyno graphs and data logging graphs from many different meth/water injection system companys. AIS is of of the top 3 leaders in the meth/water injections industry. 100 degree's being pulled from the intake is very possible, but 2 major things must take place for this to happen, #1 is the location(s) of the nozzle(s) and the mixture of the meth.

good info. So where exactly should the nozzles be located. I would think that before the IAT would be a requirment (for proper metering), but beyond that....????

blacksnake305

Established Member
There was a reason I said with a PD blower. The problem is the water/meth will burn up when it hits the screws and the cooling effect is lost. Obviously the PD blowers are not like turbo or centri applications, who would see more benefit from water/meth injection.

I agree with this, but only to a point; initially, the first wave of meth might sacrifice to cooling the rotors, but after that, the cooling will still result. I know of a buddy who ran the snow kit with a non IC KB to very good affect. And this car was used in HPDE and OT events on a regular basis...:rockon:

I'm still considering parting together a 03' cobra intercooler setup, but am also pondering the AIS kit. If I went AIS, the plan was to use the meth on a second (more agressive) SCT tune. And leave my current consertative 473rwhp non-meth tune in place for day-to-day motoring...

eh. decisions decisons... life is good...

Last edited:

IceMan03

Established Member
good info. So where exactly should the nozzles be located. I would think that before the IAT would be a requirment (for proper metering), but beyond that....????

I have my nozzles placed right in font of the t-body and the other one is located right under the intercooler. I'm experimenting with one nozzle right now and "may" possibly go to 3 inline nozzles with more testing to come.

IceMan03

Established Member
I agree with this, but only to a point; initially, the first wave of meth might sacrifice to cooling the rotors, but after that, the cooling will still result. I know of a buddy who ran the snow kit with a non IC KB to very good affect. And this car was used in HPDE and OT events on a regular basis...:rockon:

I'm still considering parting together a 03' cobra intercooler setup, but am also pondering the AIS kit. If I went AIS, the plan was to use the meth on a second (more agressive) SCT tune. And leave my current consertative 473rwhp non-meth tune in place for day-to-day motoring...

eh. decisions decisons... life is good...

If I wre you I would deff go a head and put together the 03/04 Cobra intercooler setup and run the VTS Racing Stage 2 intercooler and their heat exchanger as well. The constant "extra" cooling that will be coming from the IC system should be your main defence of heat and use the meth/water injection as a back up "incase" something were to go wrong or do like I have done incorperate it into the tune for max power under a predetermind boost reference to activate the meth/water kit.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread