03 cobra hp gains. stock headers vs lt headers.

5_0coyote

Established Member
hello people! I have been wanting to change up my setup now to MAC LT headers off road x pipe and sticking with my borla stingers.. now i have bassani catted xpipe a borla stinger catback.

iam just wondering how much hp will i be gain from the LT headers. i have heard that the dont make a diff in peak hp but make diff in power band is that true? Just wanted to know so wouldnt spent 1000-1500$ for no reason.

Ourobos

Established Member
I'd like to know myself.. My stock manifold, stock midpipe, magnaflow catback is now MAC long tubes, offroad x-pipe and magnaflow catback.. Won't have it on the dyno til 7-17 though.

72SBC

Established Member
You can go as fast as you want on stock manifolds. Not a cost effective mod IMO.

cj428mach

Established Member
I think the best reason to go with headers is for the drop in boost. Lower the boost some with headers then go with another pulley to crank the boost back up.

canadianbullitt

Established Member
With the whipple 2.9 at 18#s with bassani x and stingers I made 612rwhp and 545rwtq.
Added mac long tubes, prochamber,a retune and made 652rwh and 576rwtq.
A definite improvement but like I said thats with a whipple so gains where probably bigger there than with a pullied car.
The sound is nasty too. Kinda wishibg I would have gone with a catted x instead of the prochamber.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
With the whipple 2.9 at 18#s with bassani x and stingers I made 612rwhp and 545rwtq.
Added mac long tubes, prochamber,a retune and made 652rwh and 576rwtq.
A definite improvement but like I said thats with a whipple so gains where probably bigger there than with a pullied car.
The sound is nasty too. Kinda wishibg I would have gone with a catted x instead of the prochamber.

That's a huge difference! I'm looking into arh headers for next spring, I'd be stoked if I gained 20-30rwhp! I think I may stick with a catted midpipe or one I can change out.

Mach828

Established Member
They are worthwhile mod if you do the install yourself and don't spend 1,000 on the expensive ones. I picked up 12hp on a low 300hp NA Mach 1. I bet a Cobra would see 20hp. As mentioned the boost drop is a plus.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I can't imagine how much of a headache installing headers would be!

BLU3VN0M

SVT Addict
Established Member
I went from 522hp to 548 with my mac long tubes but lost some torque with my old ported eaton setup, can't remember the tq numbers.
Edit: they aren't hard to install yourself.. I've done 2 sets and knocked the first set on my car (by myself) out in a weekend.. the other set me and a buddy did it on his car in a day.

Last edited:

5_0coyote

Established Member
They are worthwhile mod if you do the install yourself and don't spend 1,000 on the expensive ones. I picked up 12hp on a low 300hp NA Mach 1. I bet a Cobra would see 20hp. As mentioned the boost drop is a plus.

Why is boost drop off a plus?

ctgreddy

Established Member
if you have air tools headers aren't bad to install. take an hour and drop the kmember and everything is there staring you in the face. I'd love to see a few proven hp gains with longtubes on a ported eaton car. if they pick up 10-15whp I may do some over the winter along with a tubular K.

5_0coyote

Established Member
more efficient. plus then you can pulley down and be at the same boost number but get a good hp gain out of it.

how much hp you makin? aim running a 2.9upp er with 4lb lower on a ported eaton and makin 481rwhp and 501rwtq on a mustang dyno in a hot day/.

NVM i see how much you makin lol. is that on a mustang dyno?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread