03 COBRA Heads (stock)

saleenssc1989

Established Member
I have an 03 Cobra with the notorious head tick coming from the driverside head. My car only has 36K miles with the stock heads.
I am curious if I can have these heads overhauled, then put in the head cooling mod, to fix these heads?
Is this even possible, will I still have the ticking noise?
If I cannot update them like that, what would be the next option?
What companies are selling aftermarket 4V cobra heads and do you guys have any experiences, good or bad with the aftermarket setups?

thanks in advance guys

FortLewisCobra

Established Member
They can be fixed. New valve guides will have to be installed, most do bronze but from what Ive read on here those wear faster. There are no aftermarket heads just factory heads a shop has modified. Ours were so good from the factory the aftermarket couldn't compete :p.

Im sure someone on here can reference you a good shop if you want to go that route.

GodStang

Established Member
There are no aftermarket 4V heads for our cars. Most people get the Jan 05 heads that have the oil passages fixed and water passages fixed. Cooling mod always a good thought.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
The head "tick" can happen at any mileage, from my findings if it happens it's on more low mileage cobras, but is hard for me to understand. Expensive, but your best option is probably removing the head and replacing the valve seats which seems to be the culprit for the "tick".

It hasn't been proven that the head cooling mod actually works, but it's a little extra insurance to do it. below is some info it.

http://www.terminator-cobra.com/cooling.htm#Head_cooling_mod

saleenssc1989

Established Member
Thanks for all the quick responses, I will definitely look into removing my heads and taking them to a local machine shop for some new upgrades. ill do some more searching for a company who is selling the cooling mod upgrade.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Thanks for all the quick responses, I will definitely look into removing my heads and taking them to a local machine shop for some new upgrades. ill do some more searching for a company who is selling the cooling mod upgrade.

All the companies that sell the kits are listed in the link from Post #4.

As an FYI, the '05 heads can be scored easily enough if you find a later model Aviator engine. If you are going to overhaul a set, might as well find the latest (although that may be easier said than done).

Here's all the info on the heads:

http://www.terminator-cobra.com/castings.htm

saleenssc1989

Established Member
The head "tick" can happen at any mileage, from my findings if it happens it's on more low mileage cobras, but is hard for me to understand. Expensive, but your best option is probably removing the head and replacing the valve seats which seems to be the culprit for the "tick".

It hasn't been proven that the head cooling mod actually works, but it's a little extra insurance to do it. below is some info it.

http://www.terminator-cobra.com/cooling.htm#Head_cooling_mod

Thanks for sharing this link.
This website has a ton of useful information I didn't know existed on the 2003/2004 Cobras.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Ive had 1 fixed.100k later it had issues again..

I have the newest design now just on drivers side..

im still on original 4 thread passenger with no issues..

SlowSVT

Established Member
I believe the factory Powdered Metal guides which are the best are no longer available. Aftermarket steel would be a good alternative. Bronze guides have a lower coefficient of friction and can wick away heat off the valve better but they ware faster and won't tolerate the heat on the exhaust side as well. They are better used in race car engines where longevity is not a priority.

Users who are viewing this thread