03 cobra fuel hat

Fast?notyet

Established Member
hey guys going to have to upgrade fuel pumps and can't find answer to this question anywhere and i've looked so long my eyes hurt lol, Anyway can u put ford gt supercar pumps in a factory 03-04 cobra fuel hat? I know they make specific ones for this but if it is possible with a little modification i might try it i know i would have to delete the pprv and cut some holes in the hat so it doesn't suck it dry. Any help would be appreciated

Also thought of another quick question does it make a difference in fuel mileage between running a 60 pound injector and a 80 pound injector?

Last edited:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
You can run a number of pumps in the 03/04 hat, Aviator,GT Supercar,SVT Focus, the GT twins draw the most current of those

Fast?notyet

Established Member
they draw the most current but as long as i use the upgraded wiring kit and two fpdm's it will work? would the fuel line size coming out of the fuel hat restrict flow enough to worry about?:shrug:

redfire04gt

Blown 2v
Established Member
are you running the cobra hat in a mach tank or a cobra tank? you mentioned cutting holes in the hat...why would you do that? I've never heard anything about holes in the hat only holes in the basket of non cobra hats. :shrug:

Chances50

Established Member
Last edited:

Ortiz99

Established Member
Here is how I have mine. Dont mind the zip tie, they were only used for mocking it up.

IMG_20110614_125517.jpg

IMG_20110614_125545.jpg

01yellercobra

Established Member
I ran the GT pumps with the stock FPDM and no wire upgrade for a long time. I put the wire upgrade in since my duty cycle was at 100%. If you're going to run dual FPDM's then I'd see if you can track down a Fore fuel hat. It's designed for seperate power wires for the pumps. With the stock hat you have to drill a hole for the second power wire. Something I'd prefer not to do.

As for 80's vs. 60's, I'm running 80lbers and manage 13-14 mpg around town. That's a lot of stop and go. And 20mpg on the freeway.

Fast?notyet

Established Member
are you running the cobra hat in a mach tank or a cobra tank? you mentioned cutting holes in the hat...why would you do that? I've never heard anything about holes in the hat only holes in the basket of non cobra hats. :shrug:

I have a Mach tank with 03 cobra fuel hat and pumps Suppoesedly i will see in a fe weeks when i drop the tank

01yellercobra

Established Member
When I put the 03/04 hat in my 01 tank I had to remove the piece attatched to the bottom of the tank. The pumps wouldn't fit otherwise.

Fast?notyet

Established Member
i don't know for sure but no fuel basket may be a problem if you don't have at least a quarter of a tank it might be running lean!? Fuel schlosh may be a issue. i was taking about putting holes in the basket in the original post typing error sorry:coolman:

01yellercobra

Established Member
i don't know for sure but no fuel basket may be a problem if you don't have at least a quarter of a tank it might be running lean!? Fuel schlosh may be a issue. i was taking about putting holes in the basket in the original post typing error sorry:coolman:

Yes. If you put the 03/04 pumps into a 99/01 or Mach tank you have to keep at least a quarter tank in it. Other wise you run the risk of uncovering the pick ups. I went to the 03/04 tank for the baffling.

The 03/04 doesn't have the same set up as the Mach's and earlier Cobras. It doesn't have the basket. So there's nothing to drill on the 03/04 hat.

Last edited:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I'm getting ready to put twin aviators in the 03/04 hat with 2 fpdm's and I just got the final puzzle piece an 04 tank!! And drilling the top of the hat to wire the 2nd module is no big deal tons of guys on here do it, just seal it!

Users who are viewing this thread