03 Cobra Electrical Issue

Gomitc8384

I have a 2003 cobra. Running 475rwhp. A couple months ago because the battery died and would die immediately after the car was jumped and I applied the gas or turned on the lights. Changed the battery and still wouldn't crank. So I replaced the alternator myself to find out the one in it was remanufactued already. I did some research and found theyre known for alternators going out early. My car has 73k miles so that's two alternators about every 35k. I got the 110 amp installed with a larger pulley hoping that would solve the problem. Now my car abs light came on while on the highway and the radio died which gave me some bad signs from the past. I got to where I was going and when I tried to crank it back up it wouldn't crank. When I jumped it the battery light came on but I tried to make it home, no highway driving only a 5 minute drive. As I pulled in the car died again. Any clue to what is going on? I'm getting tired of this problem. A friend told me I might need new wiring for my battery....

b_dike

Established Member
You should repost this in the engine/ tuning section. This is the wrong forum. Your not gonna get any help here.

nextime

Termi? Read Signature
Established Member
Yeah this is the How-To forum as in people posting directions for people to learn how to fix things, it is not a question forum.

kr3w239

Established Member
I had the same exact problem. Solution was the ground wire that goes into the connector (That plugs in-to the back of the alternator) came loose from the connector.

hotcobra03

Established Member
i had alot of issues caused by just the battery clamp...on oem and changed to basic parts store type...

sometimes we also crank to long and heat wires past normal.. this will add issues ontop of your oringinal issue...

start with the basics...

adding..

you can also push start these cars...ive had to many times

Last edited:

fast ford brian

Established Member
Check the nut on distribution block under the hood. Battery wire goes to a stud then another wire goes from that stud to the alternator. If its loose or has any corrosion on it you wont get a charge.

KyleSVT

Terminated
Established Member
had the exact same problem and bought a 160 amp alternator and it fixed the problem

Users who are viewing this thread