03 cobra dyno

badaz5.0

Established Member
Alright guys I put my cobra on a dyno jet today and made 4 pulls and the numbers I got were low for my mods! I have a 2.76 upper, sct x3 tuner, jlt cold air intake, and a steeda catback with Mac mufflers! The car made 429.9 rwhp and 446 rwtq! I know I should have been in the 440-450 range on power and 460-470 range on torque with these mods! What do you guess think is wrong? I've had a few suggest its the tune and a few suggest timing? I don't know I'm really new to thus tuning stuff! Lol. You input would be aporeciated! Let me know if the links don't work

e2a5471d.jpg
[
37a896c5.jpg

http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss248/sqwat05/b54d1fab.mp4
http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss248/sqwat05/11f6347e.mp4

03 silver cobra

Established Member
run it at the track and see what it does...i dont put much stock in dynos anymore. The mph will tell if its doing what its supposed to or not.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Looks like there are quite a few dips in your graph if I am reading that correctly.

What is your A/F @ and what is your Timing @?

badaz5.0

Established Member
Afr is like 11.8 - 12 and not sure about the timing but I talked to the guy that did my tune and he said it's super conservative until he sees the afr is right so I gotta data log it and send it too him and he said i probably need my timing adjusted!

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Afr is like 11.8 - 12 and not sure about the timing but I talked to the guy that did my tune and he said it's super conservative until he sees the afr is right so I gotta data log it and send it too him and he said i probably need my timing adjusted!

That could be why.

Dyno numbers per se don't mean much. However, they do play a certain role. Example here is, if they are unusually low for certain mods, something is off.

If you are pulling a small amount of timing, that could be why your car is not making the power an average Pullied/Supporting mod Cobra should be making.

The norm is the 440-450 Range, and 450-460 TQ. Some higher, but, that is pretty much the average power level.

badaz5.0

Established Member
Yeah that's what I was figuring so I'm going to get a friend to help me data log it! And we wil see what happens once the tuner gets the data log and tweaks it a little!

slvr35th

Established Member
My buddy dynoed his yesterday at gear heads on almost same mod except had a stage five steggy. It put down 467 hp and about 470 tq on 91 octane. But those number seem close I guess!

arc00ta

Established Member
My car just put down very similar numbers with the same mods. I ended up with 428/453 as the best run.

badaz5.0

Established Member
Do you have an email tune as well? If so just get them to adjust timing and it should come up where it should be! So they say

arc00ta

Established Member
Do you have an email tune as well? If so just get them to adjust timing and it should come up where it should be! So they say

I have a SCT tuner from American Muscle with the custom Bama tuning. I had to go +14.0 on fuel at WOT to get it to a safe AFR but I can't adjust the spark.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
My buddy dynoed his yesterday at gear heads on almost same mod except had a stage five steggy. It put down 467 hp and about 470 tq on 91 octane. But those number seem close I guess!

Those numbers seem low for a pullied/ported blower combo.

badaz5.0

Established Member
I agree they are low! That's why I was concerned so I asked my tuner and he said it's just the timing off!

FORD4U

Established Member
dynos should really only be used for comparison on the car it self, like when you dyno your car with a canned tune and then they tune it that day and redyno the car to see the improvements, dont get wrapped in #'s because dynos vary, does you car feel slow? wht would be important to me is that there is a safe a/f and the car drives well, numbers vary from car to car even from the factory. dont sweat it just make sure you have a good a/f and the car feels right

arc00ta

Established Member
I agree there, the dyno can read high or low no problem. For comparisons sake, Right before I made my numbers we had a 2011 GT500 on there which put down 483/471, which is on the high end for a brand new stock GT500. Using that as comparison I feel like the dyno reads high, but I also have a motor that was very abused and it might have other issues that I'm not aware of. The car maxing out there leads me to want to do compression and leakdown check just in case.

jleews6

Established Member
Go to the track! I had the same mods as you and made 431 and the same night on the same dyno my friend made a little over 480 with a ported blower and headers and X pipe.
The next day at the track I went 11.40 @121 on Nittos and he went 11.70 @122 on Nittos.
Dynos are for tuning and the track is the real world. The numbers at the end of the track are what matters.

bleedout

Established Member
i think those numbers are def. low for the pulley you have. what dyno did the tuner use? mustang dyno will read lower but i have an 04' with only a JLT RIA and a dyno tune and it put down 412rwhp...... so idk, check or change your plugs for the choppiness on the graph unless im looking wrong.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
+1 about the track. All cars and all dyno's will read diff. I have a friend that has the same mods but he has a accufab sbtb and it dyno tuned 440rwhp.

SuperRok

Established Member
I only did 420 rwhp and 493 torque with RAI, Upper/Lower Pulley, and heat exchanger. Everything else is bone stock. This was on a Mustang Dyno and not a Dynojet.

I heard that Mustang Dynos read lower, but like everyone else said, go to the track. Plus don't worry about the numbers. Nothing worse than too much power in the street and only gettin traction in 3rd gear. Gets annoying real fast!

Users who are viewing this thread