'03 Cobra - Do I Need a New Clutch?

pacnwcobra

Established Member
I had my '03 Cobra at the track a few weeks back and I began missing gears going down the 1/4 mile. This wasn't the first time I had been at the track and something didn't seem right. At the end of my last run, I had downshifted into 2nd to make my way back to the speed shack to get my time ticket, but when I attempted to shift into 3rd, my transmission locked and I could not get it out of 2nd gear.

I made my way back to the pits and turned off my ignition and was then able to get out of 2nd gear. I left the track I have not run been back since. Every shift I make on the road now seems to be notchy. That is, my shifts are not as smooth as they once were and it takes a little more effort to shift into each gear. I have 39,000 on my Cobra and while I haven't driven the crap out of it, I have jumped on it quite a bit over the years.

I had the transmission fluid changed a few weeks back. It was a little dark, but it didn't appear to be burnt and we didn't see any metal shavings in the oil.

I think it's time for a new clutch and if so, I'm not sure what to buy. The only power mod that I have is an SCT tune and I also had 3:73 gears installed. Prior to my SCT tune, I had pulled 417 hp at the rear wheels. I would like to eventually put a smaller pully on my blower and a cold air intake, but that's about as far as I plan to go with power modifications. Maybe a smaller pully and a cold air intake will add 50 - 80 hp?

I don't want to buy a straight up racing clutch as I mostly drive my Cobra on the street. But I would like a clutch that will hold up at the strip. Any thoughts on what to buy?

Thanks in advance!
Kevin

ctgreddy

Established Member
I would do a spec stage 2 or stage 2+. Im stick in the middle of either a promotion 650 or spec 2+ myself. Both are saposed to have good driveability characteristics, more than likely an easier pedal than stock clutches.

10sec89

Established Member
If the trans. stuck in gear, as in you couldn't pull the shifter out of 2nd then you have internal damage done. More than likely broken shift keys. I had the same issue only in 4th. 4th gear is most common but can happen in any gear. The notchiness is the destroyed keys and worn syncronizers more than likely.

pacnwcobra

Established Member
Damn. I was hoping that nothing was messed up internally. I should probably forget about the clutch and have my tranny looked at.

Users who are viewing this thread