03 cobra conv vs. 04 911 Turbo cabriolet

rmgtc01

Established Member
After the movies last night, :pop: me and my girl were heading home on the interstate. As I am coming off the on-ramp I see these bluish lights coming up fast. My lane was open so I punch it as I merge on to the highway, and those lights that were coming up fast seemingly get slower and slower in my rear view. So I slow down to check them out. It was some old guy with his hot 21 year old G/f in a yellow 911 turbo cabrio. He starts driving somewhat agressively when he passes me, so I am game. :banana:
I go from the left side of him all the way over to the right hand land, and drop it into 3rd at about 80 mph. I start to ease up next to him and then he floors it, so do I. Third is pulling on him good, then I go to shift into 4th all excited and all...and accidently hammer it into 2nd. :eek: Needless to say the rear goes chirrrrrp. It was only in their for a second, b/c I realized it as soon as I did it. But none the less, the porsche was getting away.
So everyhting was okay, so I decided to go punk him again to make sure he didn't think he won that one. I pull up next to him and rev up. The flows let out a mean roar, as a hint of the s/c screams a nice "come get some biotch."
He didn't look game anymore, so I just go on by him.
Well, I am now a car or 2 up from him and I see him in the rear getting closer.
So I think he will pull up next to me again and give it a go, or at least punk me too. Either way I was watching him come up closer and closer.
Suddenly he just punches it about 1 cars length behind me. I go from 6th to 3rd as quickly as I can, but he already got the jump on me by like 2 cars as we accelerate. AS we top out 3rd he is pulling in front of me waving bye-bye in a girly twiddle of the fingers fashion that any pompous rich guy would do. But alas, he is not going anywhere!! The 2 car lenght lead is all he could pull off, and now shifting into 4th is pulling on him as we are approaching 140.
He is still trying hard, but I end up pulling right on his rear.
We then both hit the brakes b/c of traffic. I pull along side for a wave, and then just keep on going. He gives the nod of respect now, and pulls off.
My g/f is creamin, saying how awsome that was.....and then we went home and I got freaking hot butt-naked action.
All in all in was a great night. yipee!! :burnout: :pepper:

Any similar stories out there with porsche encounters?? Did some research this morning and:
His car boasts a 3.8 0-60 time and a 1/4 of 12.2.
If I was a better driver the first time, there wouldn't have been a second race the way I was pulling. So ...comments....???

04TRCobra

KING
Established Member
I didnt think they made a 911 Turbo in a convertible???!!

anyway...a modern (996) 911 Turbo hits 0-60 in about 4.0 seconds and a 1/4 mile of 11.7-11.8...its neck and neck with a SRT-10 viper.

he should have walked you hard from the midrange to topend...they are fast as shit...and have a top speed of 185-190mph.

if it was a cabrio like you said...i would think it was a 911 Carrera 4 rebadged to say 911 turbo! esp if you said you were beginning to reel him back in without a pulley and tune.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Not pullied and pulled on the 911? I guess anything is possible on the streets. All I see are Boxters around here, and they never want to run.

pwnt04

Frickin' Ladies Man
Established Member
Maybe you'll get him next time (after you get some decent go-fast mods).

Last edited:

rmgtc01

Established Member
yeah, the back definitely said "turbo". I checked it out as I was coming on side by side.

But car and driver says 12.2 1/4mi. for the cabrio. Check it out:
http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=16&article_id=8415&page_number=1

and:
http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=29&article_id=7307&page_number=1

I would say that is about right. Cobras with similar small mods have been low 12's with somewhere close to 400 rwhp. The 911 has 415 engine rated hp, that is pretty close to our 390. With CAI, and exhuast vs. 911 stock....why not? If it is a weight to hp issue, I don't know. I have raced a GT3 on the normal streets and pulled on him as well, even after a crappy start. NOT pulled like "holy crap", but more like "go..come on a little more" kinda pull. But, I think the GT3 had some things done, b/c it sounded better than ones I have heard, and the "shocked" look on the guys face was priceless!

rmgtc01

Established Member
For the weight diff ot power, maybe he had a couple of circus midgets in the trunk, that's why he was driving so fast and got pulled on.

rmgtc01

Established Member
I need a freakin video camera. I don't see how this is that hard to believe. Has anyone else raced some stock porsches??? What resulted?

04TRCobra

KING
Established Member
well...okay i believe you now that i looked into it.

but for the record...the 911 turbo cabrio u raced isnt much competition to the 996 911 Turbo coupe rated at 450hp.

the one u raced only had 414hp like you stated and did the 1/4 mile in 12.2 with a 4.3 0-60. pretty close in performance to a stock Cobra let alone a modified one. he WILL have a better top end but only after about 140mph i would think.

good kill.

i was thinking it had the 996 911 Turbo engine like a 2001-2002 model. they are rated at 3.9 0-60 and 11.7 1/4 mile. u would have lost! in that case.

rmgtc01

Established Member
It's still funny though, that bastard jumping from behind to pass and waving like he's going somewhere. :loser:
He was definitely one of the old rich, "i only date girls half my age" kinda guys.
He didn't give me any respect till he realized he couldn't out accelerate, then I got a nod. but still ...Even though he has a 140k porsche or so, I think his girl wanted a real man. Porsche owners are compensating for other things, I just brought it to his attention. :D

Fadis_Z

Established Member
rmgtc01 said:
I need a freakin video camera. I don't see how this is that hard to believe. Has anyone else raced some stock porsches??? What resulted?

I believe you do. I have raced a 911 Turbo in my Z06 and i beat him. We raced a few times and i was able to edge him out everytime to about 120 where we both backed off. His best was a 12.2@116 and my best is a 12.1@116. It was a hell of a race, but i did edge him out hence believing that you can do the same in your 03 Cobra seeing that it isnt stock. :thumbsup:

04TRCobra

KING
Established Member
LOL...yea he was probably one of those nerdy rich guyz too.
too bad u messed up...it would have been cooler if u shifted perfect and had to hit the brakes for him to catch up.

that would have been classic!

rmgtc01

Established Member
Fadis_Z said:
I believe you do. I have raced a 911 Turbo in my Z06 and i beat him. We raced a few times and i was able to edge him out everytime to about 120 where we both backed off. His best was a 12.2@116 and my best is a 12.1@116. It was a hell of a race, but i did edge him out hence believing that you can do the same in your 03 Cobra seeing that it isnt stock. :thumbsup:

Thanks dude, ... I like vettes! :beer:

rmgtc01

Established Member
04TRCobra said:
LOL...yea he was probably one of those nerdy rich guyz too.
too bad u messed up...it would have been cooler if u shifted perfect and had to hit the brakes for him to catch up.

that would have been classic!

Yeah, I can't beleive I did that crap. Everything seems okay, but I hope I didn't mess anything up. I am sort of still learning and more and more starting to be harder on her, since she's my first cobra. I have always been a GT guy.
Doesn't matter, he will think twice next time before he underestimates a mustang...especially a cobra.
I am not a hater...I would love to own a 140k car, but I would have gone Ferrari.
There is just a bit of satisfaction in knowing that you can beat a guy/car like that... in a nice car (cobra/mustang) with a heritage that can go just as far back. Not too mention I can't afford that price tag, but I can win with what I have to work with. Respect. :pepper:

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
04TRCobra said:
well...okay i believe you now that i looked into it.

but for the record...the 911 turbo cabrio u raced isnt much competition to the 996 911 Turbo coupe rated at 450hp.

the one u raced only had 414hp like you stated and did the 1/4 mile in 12.2 with a 4.3 0-60. pretty close in performance to a stock Cobra let alone a modified one. he WILL have a better top end but only after about 140mph i would think.

good kill.

i was thinking it had the 996 911 Turbo engine like a 2001-2002 model. they are rated at 3.9 0-60 and 11.7 1/4 mile. u would have lost! in that case.

The 996 X50 is the Porshce with 450 hp, the reg 996 TT is around 415 I believe. The X50 is something like a $15,000 upgrade over the standart TT.

Also, those Porsches aren't as light as most people think (they are around 3400lbs w/o driver).

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
georgearnold_3 said:
porsche is def the car i would have if i was a rich bastard. i would have a cayenne turbo, a 911 turbo, and a pro 5.0 mustang to have fun in on the weekends...lol

I'm with you. We have a Boxter S, but I would love to get a 997 TT :banana:

bad360rt

slo truk
Established Member
Nice run! Had a 996TT at the track about a month ago, he was running 12.6@118. I didn't get to run him tho, cause they had me lined up with all the real race cars cause I was running slicks :( Sucked too, had an E55 and an RS6 there also, I would have loved to smoke all three of 'em, but instead I got to run with all the 8sec trailer cars LOL

Users who are viewing this thread