03 Cobra Clutch

BRIMSTONE

Quoted from June issue of C&D:

"...SVT fitted an 11-inch unit similar to that previously encountered in the Cobra, but with increased clamping force to cope with the higher torque output."

Do you guys think this will be a readily available and suitable replacement clutch for our R's?

Mike

Andy M

Established Member
Mike,

It should fit because the '03 Cobra is using the same tranny as us - the Tremec T56...and our clutch is also 11"... but why not use a real racing clutch instead.

Several of us (myself included) are running the dual Kevlar clutch (same as on the Viper) from Apex Motorsports. I have had mine on the car for 8 months and have done some pretty serious track duty and the thing bites like you would not believe!! :eek:

Only deal is it is pretty stiff, and is pretty much on/off... not much travel before it is fully engaged, so it would not lend itself well to primarily street use??...

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by BRIMSTONE
How much was it for the dual kevlar? Any modifications required?

Thanks,
Mike
The only issue we have had with this particular clutch is with the throwout bearing?? it seems that the throwout bearing that comes with the kit causes a rubbing clatter when you fully depress your clutch pedal. It must sit in a slightly incorrect position against the fork and therefore rubs on the bolts on the flywheel. I fixed mine with a small piece of rubber to make a bumper so that when I depress the clutch fully, it does not rub. Others, like JoeJ, have changed the bearing to use a stock Cobra part and that works just fine.

My recommendation is if you get one of these kits, just have your mechanic (or yourself if you are so inclined?) install a stock Ford bearing with the kit.

The parts were around $550-600 plus installation.

I have been very happy with it thus far....and I have about 3-4K miles on mine, over half of that on the track.

Users who are viewing this thread