03 cobra clunk

hack1jr

Established Member
I know this is common but every time i let my clutch out theres a clunk i feel bad if im driving and tap the gas i feel and hear the clunking sound..Is there a fix to this??thanks

forcefedcobra

Established Member
you can go check all the torque specs on everything.................that is what the dealer told me to do and gave me a print out of the specs..............also ac427cobra (bruce) irs rebuild kit is said to solve the issue also.

I'll be starting on my irs with his kit tomorrow and will see if it cures the clunk I get from time to time.

hack1jr

Established Member
thanks alot..mine does it all the damn time..plus this damn thing wheel hops like crazy..i might go to a straight axle and be done with it

SlowSVT

Established Member
I know this is common but every time i let my clutch out theres a clunk i feel bad if im driving and tap the gas i feel and hear the clunking sound..Is there a fix to this??thanks

Try installing 14mm or better yet 9/16 grade 8+ bolts in the front sub-frame mount. There is 13 mm both installed by the factory to make assembly easier which makes for a loose fit. The back torque of the engine can make the sub-frame rock back and forth in the mounting holes. This should reduce the clunck.

hack1jr

Established Member
im not going to be doing any road racing just more drag stuff so in my eyes theres no benefit of having irs..i think the solid rear would be alot stronger or am i wrong???

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member

Trust me man, this noise is not easy to get rid of. I have the upgraded 14MM front IRS sub-frame bolts, upgraded diff bushings & the MM IRS sub-frame bushings also. The play is in the transmission from what I have learned. There is a little back lash in the rear diff but this is normal for proper gear sync in a high powered car. When the transmission fully warms up the noise is gets lower but it's still there.

No one yet has found a true fix for this annoying sound yet. SORRY... :(

hack1jr

Established Member
mines always the same..i agree it seems like slack in the drivetrain...2 me it almost seems like a bad ujoint but im scared im gonna break something..feels like the irs is gonna fall out lol

BIGV

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
I took my diff apart to try and fix the clunk just to find there is more slack in the trans then the diff. Yes after about 20 miles of driving everything warms up and expands the clunk is gone for me from 1-4 5 and 6 it is still there but to a smaller degree. You have to learn how to drive around the clunk. Not that you should have to but thats the fact.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Try installing 14mm or better yet 9/16 grade 8+ bolts in the front sub-frame mount. There is 13 mm both installed by the factory to make assembly easier which makes for a loose fit. The back torque of the engine can make the sub-frame rock back and forth in the mounting holes. This should reduce the clunck.

Russ actually meant to say 12mm bolt there! ;-):poke:

Sometimes the clunk can come from the front subframe mounts but my guess would be the rear diff mount. I have a pic of what a bad one looks like in the link in my sig under the FAQ

There is a lot of good information there regarding the IRS and it may be interesting reading for you.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

hack1jr

Established Member
dumb question so im gonna try 12mm bolts up front first but what size are they???when i go to the parts dept what size of bolt do i ask for??thanks

MWR

YWSOTD
Established Member
dumb question so im gonna try 12mm bolts up front first but what size are they???when i go to the parts dept what size of bolt do i ask for??thanks

Order the 14MM bolts from Maximum Motorsports.

hack1jr

Established Member
it was the stupid bushings..replaced the bushings and put the different bolts in and no clunk whatsoever...atleast for now haha.. i want to thank everyone for there help

Cobra80

Established Member
Order the 14MM bolts from Maximum Motorsports.

Do the 03 and 04 cobras have the same problem with the bolts? I have the clunk and the rear moves under the car enough to rear stear. I checked the hub bearings and they are in good shape. I have ordered Bruces kit, i am hoping it will fix the problem. only 50k mi

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
Yes, both years have 12mm bolts. Replacing those with 14mm may help, Bruce's kit may help, getting your rearend backspacing reshimmed to the lowered end of the tolerance spectrum may help, and getting your transmission rebuilt may help. None of the above is guaranteed though...just the nature of this beast to shake, rattle, and clunk. Driving smoother helped eliminate my clunk.

Users who are viewing this thread