03 Cobra BRAKING Noise

MustangRacer310

Established Member
Hi,

I have a 03 Cobra with 2700 miles on it. Under a little hard braking, I hear something from the front Suspension. It’s not a clicking or knocking noise; it’s more like a sound a bushing or something. I think it's either the front Brakes or the Shocks and springs as they Travel down and come back up due to the brake.

Is this normal?

Thank You

Poison_S

Established Member
I have yet to experience that particular noise, but I do have a squeaking noise coming from the passenger side front rotor.

This also occurred with the drivers side last October shortly after taking delivery. The Ford technician found some sort of build-up on the rotor and was able to remove it. They thought it was related to the type of pad that comes on the car. I am tending to agree with that statement since it is now beginning on the passenger side. I may decide to switch pads this spring or summer if the drivers side begins to squeak again.

Last edited:

YoungCobra

aka BigBlackCobra
Established Member
I have the same problem. When I brake normally but come to a stop brislky there is a popping,clunk kinda noise that comes from the front passenger side. I first thought it was normal for a floating caliper brake,but it's happening more and more often nowadays.
I brought it to the dealerlast week and the tech couldn't hear it,but it is definately there. I'm going in tomorow to check it out one more time.

As for the build up in the pads, this could be very possible because my dad's S4 Audi had a similar problem and the fix was just to clean the pads.
I'll keep my progress posted.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Cobra front brakes are noisy in general. You'll get all kinda of weird sounds out of them. My 94 Cobra had some interesting noises, the 03 Cobra is quiet so far.

hockeypuck_74

Established Member
Originally posted by Poison_S
I have yet to experience that particular noise, but I do have a squeaking noise coming from the passenger side front rotor.

This also occurred with the drivers side last October shortly after taking delievery. The Ford technician found some sort of build-up on the rotor and was able to remove it. They thought it was related to the type of pad that comes on the car. I am tending to agree with that statement since it is now beginning on the passenger side. I may decide to switch pads this spring or summer if the drivers side begins to squeak again.

I have the same problem - the first time I took it in they gave me an excuse about 'glazing' and some other crap I didn't listen to, mainly because it stopped for a while. Now it's back and, while annoying, I'm not noticing it pulling or anything.

What really gets me is that I'm a grandma the way I've been driving - I've had her almost 5 months and even as my daily driver I only have 2300 miles on her. Never hit a curb, never hit a hard speed bump...you know the drill. So I don't think it's anything I've done...that I know of.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Originally posted by hockeypuck_74
I have the same problem - the first time I took it in they gave me an excuse about 'glazing' and some other crap I didn't listen to, mainly because it stopped for a while. Now it's back and, while annoying, I'm not noticing it pulling or anything.

What really gets me is that I'm a grandma the way I've been driving - I've had her almost 5 months and even as my daily driver I only have 2300 miles on her. Never hit a curb, never hit a hard speed bump...you know the drill. So I don't think it's anything I've done...that I know of.

Sounds like you need to bed in your pads. They are probably right about the glazing if you drive like a grandma. These brakes were meant to be used harder than that.

Check out Baer's website for a good run down on how to bed in a new set of brake pads.

hockeypuck_74

Established Member
Originally posted by 94SVT Coupe
Sounds like you need to bed in your pads. They are probably right about the glazing if you drive like a grandma. These brakes were meant to be used harder than that.

Check out Baer's website for a good run down on how to bed in a new set of brake pads.

Good deal - thanks for the feedback - I'll check that out.

maoun

Established Member
does it do it while going straight or while making sharp turns and braking?

m.

YoungCobra

aka BigBlackCobra
Established Member
mainly straight...but then again I never really been in a situation where I've needed to brake sharply on a turn. We'll see tomorow.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I notice a slight shudder/shake when coming to a complete stop at a light... The steering wheel bounce's a bit, could this be warped front rotors at 6000 miles? I also have an occassional squeak when using the brakes, but nothing unsettling....

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Originally posted by YoungCobra
The shudder could be the ABS?

No squeak here. Just feels like slack,unprecise.

Definately not abs turning on. The pedal does not vibrate or cavitate as if ABS was engaged... I need to clarify, its just the steering wheel that shudders.

YoungCobra

aka BigBlackCobra
Established Member
The tech and I took a ride today and we both heard it this time. His thought is that is the front swaybar bushings, or the shocks are pinching at the top, or even dirty calipers.

I have an appointment thursday at 8 so I'll let everyone know what it was exactly that caused the noise.

lebda

Established Member
I Solved This Problem On Mine!!!

I almost had mine bought back under lemon law for this problem. I had some sort of brake rubbing noise coming from the front. Kind of like a shhht...shhht...shhht...shhht as I applied the brakes. Also when I drove next to a center divider with the window open I heard a chirping almost like a wheel bearing. First time in they replaced the pads. Did not fix. Second time in they put new rotors and pads on. Did not fix. Third time I started persuing lemon law and they turned the rotors to take the high spots off. They were 12 thousanths out of round. Bingo!!! It was fixed. The rotors from Ford are not quality enough to go with the pads being so close to the rotor. Even after going through two sets, they were both out of round. Hope this helps!

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
You could try rotating the rotors on the hub as well. The tolerances stack up and it could sit flatter agaisnt the hub if rotated. The Brembo rotors I bought for my truck say to install the rotors then check them with a magnetic base dial caliper 5 mm in from the external edge of the rotor. If the oscillation is more than .1 mm for 1 complete rotation, rotate the dics on the hub and try it again. If rotating it won't help, they suggest trying the same test on the hub to make sure it's flat.

Last edited:

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
I too have had out of round / warped rotors from Ford (on my '98 SHO). They were replaced under warranty and THAT set was warped. Finally I took it to Belle Tire (Michigan) and paid for a set of aftermarket rotors and pads. Never had another brake problem!

Users who are viewing this thread