03 cobra boost issues

termynator

Established Member
Ok so I have a black 03 cobra with 50k miles..I had some issues two summers ago with it only boosting when it wanted to. I cleaned the maf and iac and reset the computer and it was back to normal so I assume it was in limp mode when it wasn't boosting. I then sold the car to a buddy who is new to the mustang and standard shift world and he literally tore the clutch up the second time he drove it. He had no where to store it so he left it at my place for over a year/yr 1/2 and finally I offered to buy it back and put a new clutch in it and I did. Figured while I was at it I would change all the fluids..changed oil, fresh trans fluid and rearend. Anyways I fired it up and it was running kinda rough and there was a loud noise almost like a pump running. It made that noise the last time it stopped making boost. You could just smell the old gas too. I put some seafoam thru it and added some fresh 93. the idle is much better but the car runs like it doesn't have a blower, runs like a 01 cobra instead. The boost gauge is working like it should,7-9 lbs and you can hear the blower whine but it literally has no boost going thru the engine. The belt is not slipping so that is not an option..anyone ever experience this or have any input?? Thanks

termynator

Established Member
Btw there is no check engine light..only things that really came to mind were maybe Intercooler pump??? Not even sure if that has anything to do with it or vac/intercooler leak?

Zemedici

Established Member
Ic pump wouldn't have anything to do with boost. Check the boost bypass valve on the back of the blower.

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
If you are seeing 7 to 9 on the boost gauge and you don't have any mods for more boost then stock then something else other then lack of boost is going on.

termynator

Established Member
Update

So I was out this evening messing with the car and noticed that the two rubber plugs on the intake between the maf and tb were all cracked up so I took them off and replaced them with some other ones I had layin around and I did the "boost by-pass" mod by switching the vac lines from the boost by-pass actuator solenoid to the boost actuator and vice versa. Started car up and immediately noticed a diff at idle. Sounded so much smoother and it doesn't shake like it did before. Took it around the block and jumped on it a little and I felt some boost. Came to a stop, pulled out and noticed a little stumble then I jumped on it again and felt boost again but it didn't feel 100% but a world of difference. It does still have old gas in it tho so that could explain why. So by me doing this does this mean my boost by-pass valve is bad?

termynator

Established Member
So even tho the check engine light is not on I decided to put a scanner on it and I got the po306 code meaning #6 misfire..I checked all the plugs on the drivers side and all looked good so I put a new cop on #6 and it seems to idle perfect now and it drives like it should until you put it down and get into boost. The boost gauge seems to work as it should but there is no seat of the pants boost. It feels like I'm driving a n/a 4 valve..I still haven't ran all the old gas out so I dunno if that has anything to do with my problem..someone please help!! I wanna drive this junk

Users who are viewing this thread