03 Cobra Autocrossing

BANDIT HPT

Established Member
We had a pretty cool even this past weekend with a bunch of pro-touring cars coming to town. They rented the local drag strip and roundtrack for some racing. The entry fee was $10 so I couldn't complain and we got 5 passes. I've watched several autocorsses at this place but never participated. I can see myself becoming a regular now : )

I just picked up this cobra in July so it's still stock as a clock.

246905565_7a1bb9b12c.jpg

246905567_9090338d02.jpg

246905564_2158439e85.jpg

246905561_692229d8ab.jpg

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
The 03 Cobra is a heavy car, but it can be very capable autocrosser when you get lots of seat time with it. I do about 13 or so autox events a year, and it's a lot of hard work muscling that car around, but it goes around pretty well. Have fun with it.. Learn it, Then go out and get some sticky tires and really kick ass!!!

etfhb

Established Member
that course doesn't look too tight, what speeds were you attaining on the straights? (the few i've been to are tight; less then 60mph.)

i have gone to my 1st events this year and have had a blast, next month i get to try out my new azenis 615's. they should help a ton.

etfhb

Established Member
TroyV said:
The 03 Cobra is a heavy car, but it can be very capable autocrosser when you get lots of seat time with it. I do about 13 or so autox events a year, and it's a lot of hard work muscling that car around, but it goes around pretty well. Have fun with it.. Learn it, Then go out and get some sticky tires and really kick ass!!!

i swear i'm having way more fun in the 03 then the other cars(sti,s2000,rx8,etc..) with slower times.

i agree with the muscling areound the track, but in a enjoyable way

i love the fact that with a blip of gas you can kick out the rearend.

BANDIT HPT

Established Member
The course wasn't very tight at all. It's a round track with a couple turns into the infield. I never looked at the speed but I was a little over 6krpms in 2nd on the back stretch. With a pulley or gears I could hit 3rd easily. The SVT cobra club has run several autocrosses here and it was basically the same course they run.

To my surprise the car hooked up very well with the BFG G-Force Sports. I never tried these tires before but I was happy with them. It pushed a little bit on the tight turns to the infield but not much.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
It keeps me braking, turning, accelerating and looking ahead until I can do a good road course. I have a blast.

etfhb

Established Member
Spider-Man76 said:
The course wasn't very tight at all. It's a round track with a couple turns into the infield. I never looked at the speed but I was a little over 6krpms in 2nd on the back stretch. With a pulley or gears I could hit 3rd easily. The SVT cobra club has run several autocrosses here and it was basically the same course they run.

To my surprise the car hooked up very well with the BFG G-Force Sports. I never tried these tires before but I was happy with them. It pushed a little bit on the tight turns to the infield but not much.

sounds like a blast, (6k rpm in 2nd is good for almost 70mph i think) the extra speed would really tide me over untill i get a roll bar someday and hit the roadcourse. i don't think i sniffed 60mph the 2 times i went this summer.

here is a pick of a one event just to show the difference in the course, check out the number of cones compared to your event. sometimes i swear my car felt like a fat pig out there, its very narrow. :beer:

BANDIT HPT

Established Member
That looked like a sea of cones… I'd like to run some local SCCA solo 2 events but I'm a little slow learning the course. Some of them are pretty complicated.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I've had a blast running mine at autocross events. I ran it for two years before buying something to flog that wasn't my daily driver. I also ran it on a road course, which was the ultimate blast. In a sport dominated by little Miata's, the Cobra is unique, which makes it much more fun to me. I enjoy the sound, and I enjoy having to wrestle the car around. It's nice to be in something 'outside the box', so to speak.

Users who are viewing this thread