'03 Cobra and FR-500 Exhaust

Status
Not open for further replies.

IRON MACHINE

Established Member
As a result of a number of posts of folks who have used the FR500 exhaust with their '03s, I purchased one for my '03. It is not installed yet. At least one poster has had some serious problems with this exhaust, and believes that there is no performance improvement. Can those of you with the exhaust comment on measurable gains, and the general sound and function of this system? Before I bolt it up, and it becomes unreturnable, I want to determine if I should wait for something else. My goals are: (1) I don't want a loud and obnoxious car when crusing through the neighborhood (my '72 Mach I drag car does that for me); (2) I want to open up the restrictive exhaust and get a measurable difference in performance; and (3) I would like more roar at open throttle. The FR500 seemed perfect, but some recent comments give me concern. Thanks!

CWCobra

Established Member
You may be referring to my post as a dissatisfied FR-500 customer. Just in case you're not, here's my take:

No change in sound or performance vs stock, except now I have an annoying drone at 1800-2000 rpms. The MM&FF story about flaps or doors opening at WOT for louder sound is hogwash. $623 down the drain. This represents my actual experience only, and may or may not be indicative of other FR-500s installed on other '03 Cobras. Caveat emptor.

Peace,
CW

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
CWCobra - so if you had it to do over, what do you think you would go with? I was considering getting an FR500, Bassani, or possibly Borla. I may wait to see what the Bassani '03 specific cat back reviews are like.

CWCobra

Established Member
If I had it to do over again, I'd sure as hell save my $600, and try an off road H pipe first, leaving stock cat-back in place. That's what I did with my '97, and I LOVE it's sound and performance gain. Only cost $129. I may do that with the '03. There's a guy in town who may want to buy my FR-500, in spite of my experiences. But like I said, my experience may or may not represent someone elses.
Later,
CW

gcawad

Established Member
You won't have " a loud and obnoxious car when crusing through the neighborhood " I think the sound is an improvement over the stock system. The sound is deeper now; however everyone that has heard my car is surprised that I have changed the exhaust since it is still so quiet. I do notice a drone in 6th gear on the highway,

I can't hear any "roar" at wide open throttle, I wondered if my flaps or doors were not stuck in one position.

The FR500 is OK but awful quiet.

Last edited:

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
I wish you guys had better news to report, I was really leaning towards the FR500 for a while. Mine is still stock.

Maybe the new 4" Bassani system will be the jewel??????:(

Cobra03

Fordrarri
Established Member
Hey CWCobra - do you have dyno results for the FR500 - or do you not like it because it is too quite? I am not flaming you, I just have read a lot of positives about the FR500, including a MMFF test which showed a lot of improvement over a stock exhaust. Also this thing is really engineered for perf. so I am a little skeptical that you did not see any improvement, although I would definately believe that you did not feel any improvement, as an additional 20 hp might be hard to feel with the butt-o-meter (less than 5% diff.)

I would like to see some dyno results before I dismiss it. For me, I am looking for the QUIETEST exhaust with the most perf. gain. On that basis, this exhaust still sounds good, depending on measured performance differences.

Again, no disrespect to you CWCobra, I am just curious.

Anyone measure this thing yet? gcawad, did you see any perf. increase with this exhaust?

Last edited:

gcawad

Established Member
I installed the FR500 the same day I brought the car home, so I can't really say if I noticed any performance improvement. I bought it based on what I had read and that the factory exhaust was all bottled up. I was expecting the roar at wide open throttle. That is the only disappointment I have with it. I did not want a “loud” car, this gives it a nice deep tone.

Last edited:

scott

Established Member
i installed the fr500 with a mac h pipe. before the exhaust and hp the exhaust was superquiet. you could not hear even a rumble. the pipe and exhaust give a big sound at throttle but not to loud. if you want loud go with the h pipe and the mac cat back. i am going to a dyno tuesday will post hp/tourque. i have the system so i am sticking with it. if i had known i would have gone with something cheaper.

eddy z

Established Member
i vote for the 03 Bassani set up, as that is what I am waiting for.. hopefully, this will free some noticeable horse and still keep that sound in tact.,..

IRON MACHINE

Established Member
Wow. Is there any difference in sound with the FR500? Say as compared to a stock '01 Cobra exhaust? Does the FR500 on the '03 sound anything like the FR500 clips on the sound board at www.mustangexhaust.com? Thanks

CWCobra

Established Member
No dyno numbers here...I won't say that I don't care what the numbers are, but the damn thing is so strong, it doesn't really matter to me whether I gained a few with the exhaust or not! It's a beast with the factory exhaust or without it! Believe it or not, but it was actually at my wife's urging that I began the search for a more "agressive sounding" exhaust that lead to the FR-500. It just doesn't do it for my wife, either. Next up is off road H.
Later,
CW

Cobra03

Fordrarri
Established Member
Thanks CWCobra.

I don't have mine yet. Great to hear you like the car so much. I hope I feel the same way after I get it and can stop obsessing over mods before I even drive the thing. I have not even seen one yet in Atlanta. :shrug:

SlvrSnke01

Established Member
For you 03 guys,

I am getting some dyno #'s tomorrow w/ the FR-500.

I have a baseline from about 6 months ago so I will let you know the results.

With my 01 I felt a big seat of the pants difference, but I'm not pushin 8-10lbs of boost in an 03.

Bill

gcawad

Established Member
SlvrSnke01 what kind of sound are you getting out of yours? Pretty much the same as factory?

IRON MACHINE

Established Member
This is a good discussion, thanks for everyone's input. I Look forward to seeing those dynos from Scott and Slvrsnke01. But any comparison on the sound versus the files referenced earlier from '01s?

TIAMAT

Established Member
I have heard a 01 with the FR500 and0 the sound is incredible and seat of the pants meter read hell yeah.

2003 Cobra

Established Member
I'm getting too old for a straight through rip roaring exhaust. I just ordered the FRP500 and a 2001 Bassani cat-X pipe. I just hope the setup bolts on the 03 without problems. I am still waiting for delivery of my 03 as VOPC tells me the car has now arrived via rail and ready for the local transporters to get the car to the dealer. LET'S ROLL!!!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread