03 Cobra Alternator

04yellowcobra

Established Member
My buddy finally ended up with one off a V-6 from a junk yard that worked, that was after poping 3 brand new Ford ones ... and that was with a stock lower!

NickF1011

Established Member
I know the V6 alternator isn't a direct fit on the 96-01 Cobras. Not sure on the 03-04 though. I'm pretty sure the V6 unit is lower amperage also.

Tims97SVT

Established Member
I'm the guy and it's a direct fit. V6 is 110 and 03/04 is 130. 99-04 v6 works on the 03/04 cars.

Now I'm not sure if the problem is fixed. It seams to be but I have not driven the car in months. I had burnt up 3 new ford units and they failed in less then 500miles. I have no apparent electrical problems. I do not have a lower, I do not have a bap, also I don't have an aftermarket stereo system. Nothing on the car electrically has be altered in anyway. Now remember just because it shows good charge voltage at idle does not mean SHIT!!! Two of the alts I got from ford showed good voltage at idle. But under a load the voltage dropped to 12.4 or less. 12.6 or less is battery discharge. No I did not have belt slip! I can not find a single problem wrong with my car. I did not replace the alt for charging issues. I replaced it because the bearings were squealing.

So with that said. It's worked for me. BUT!! just because it has worked for me does not mean it will work for you.

Please update this thread as to which alternator you use and how it's works for you.

sneeky

Established Member
I don't have a problem paying $300 for a new alternator, my problem is when it doesn't last!
I still have to verify that it is bad, but the battery light being on is a good start.
I will post up when I diagnose it.
Thx

Tims97SVT

Established Member
I don't have a problem paying $300 for a new alternator, my problem is when it doesn't last!
I still have to verify that it is bad, but the battery light being on is a good start.
I will post up when I diagnose it.
Thx

I'm right there with you bud! $300 means nothing if it last for 50k not 500mi.

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
Tousley ford will sell you one for waaaay less. I think I was quoted $170 or something like that......

DHGTerminator

aka The "Bullsnake"
Established Member
There is a long thread on mod fords. A guy makes alts for our car. The company is Start n charge. I think he has a good product. Contact him. Another PA Alternator bites the dust

I just picked one of these up, Jamie was great to talk to and very informative, and in a thread on here you can see his quality of work which is bar-none. He's sold hundreds of alternators and I've only heard of a handful of failures, and when they happen it seems he takes care of them.

Users who are viewing this thread