03 Cobra alternator burnt out, which one to get?

DocButters

shämən
Established Member
Ok, so the alternator went out on my cobra. Since my battery was installed from ford I have a 10 year warranty on it :rockon:, but which alternator should I go with? I hear really good things about StartNCharge, but I got with jamie and apparently his shop burnt down, so he'll be out of the game until fall. I've read all over that PA is crap, and thats all that Lethal sells, so do I go with OEM?

Konaboss302

Funtime!!!
Established Member
I got one from Tousley for 150 plus a 60 dollar core... speaking of which, I need to ship the old one back!

DocButters

shämən
Established Member
Does Tousley only sell remans? The dealership about 30 minutes from me can get me a new one for $225+$60 core, that's after tax and shipping, it it worth the cash to buy a new part?

mustangal

Established Member
lol i went to auto zone...lifetime warranty so every time it goes out get a new one....mine works just fine..and if it goes out...ill never have to pay for another one again.

cobracide

Established Member
Tousley OEM. That lifetime generic crap will get swapped out so many times, you'll get tired of it. Free or not.

Last edited:

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
Imo it's the diode sets and the stock and most aftermarket have these plastic ones. I got mine rebuilt w metal and glass ones w new brushes for like 65. So far w 10k mi no issues. My alt blew one diode open everything worked but my g tech pro comp didn't, that's what tipped me off. The shop rebuild guy said they were some cadillac diodes I think, been a long time now. Like double the stock amp rating.

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
Yea why I said what the fix is..... any alt shop should be able to do this if a lil shop in c.r. iowa can. The pulley will help also.

speeddemon2000

Established Member
lol i went to auto zone...lifetime warranty so every time it goes out get a new one....mine works just fine..and if it goes out...ill never have to pay for another one again.

I have gone through 5 of the autocrap alternators. At lease the replacements are free.

boostedvert

Established Member
I bought one of the ones from Eagle electric on ebay and I only got about 5000 miles on it at most. It went bad within a year of owning it and it made my battery casing melt. Seller doesn't stand behind the product as I tried to contact him multiple times with no response. Upon getting it tested at two parts store I was surprised at what I found. It was creating a peak 27.8 volts with excessive ripple. Based on my experience with the product and seller I would not recommend. By the way my car is running stock size supercharger pulley.

Users who are viewing this thread