03 Cobra 2.3 Whipple out to the track, 1st time under new mods & my ownership

mhinchley

Established Member
th_20140613_1755451_zpsa6d95a5a.jpg

th_20140613_2013181_zpsb7f660cf.jpg

11.63 @ 121 with lowly 1.84 60' (2nd video)
stock engine, 2.3 whipple 3.0 & 4lb (8.6) on e85, JLT intake, mac long tubes, pro chamber, magna flow c/b, 26 spline & MGW shifter, qa1 k member with control arms, Front coilovers with strange 10 way adjustable struts, dual pass heat exchanger, centerforce DFX clutch, maximum motorsports subframe connectors, Built sra with 31spline axles, Detroit locker 3.73, adjustable QA1 rear control arms with -2 pinion angle, eibach drag springs with air bag (1 coil cut), AGX 8 way adjustable rear shocks, MM 6 point roll bar, running on 315-17 Hoosier DOT DR.

1st time out with car and admittedly did not push things too much. Launched only at 3000rpm pedaling the clutch, shift light set at 6200, no power shifting, suspension set at mid level, 19 psi in the tires, 15lbs in the air bag. I did not have my data logger set up yet, but will have next time including afr & boost. I really was just feeling the car out, going through the motions, getting some @ss time. 3rd run of 4 I missed 3rd and went into 5th & just left it there. Somehow still managed a 12.4.........lol. Outside of that, each run got better as I pushed a bit harder.

Thoughts on suspension settings, launch rpm, shift points, etc. All welcome..........let me have it.

Last edited:

ctgreddy

Established Member
I couldn't get the vids to work, just went to a loading screen on photobucket but it might be my computer.

I'd start by putting a real wheel/tire setup on the back. Since you're on e85 I'm assuming upper 600's + whp so should be in the bottom-mid 10's when you get it all figured out. On my ported eaton car it likes to launch at around 5k rpm and then I drop the clutch. Spins just a little on the initial hit but anything lower it doesn't like it. Then I shift around 6500, yours should be similar but look at your dyno chart to see where the power lasts till.

mhinchley

Established Member
I couldn't get the vids to work, just went to a loading screen on photobucket but it might be my computer.

I'd start by putting a real wheel/tire setup on the back. Since you're on e85 I'm assuming upper 600's + whp so should be in the bottom-mid 10's when you get it all figured out. On my ported eaton car it likes to launch at around 5k rpm and then I drop the clutch. Spins just a little on the initial hit but anything lower it doesn't like it. Then I shift around 6500, yours should be similar but look at your dyno chart to see where the power lasts till.
You need a good connection with photo bucket. Direct link to the folder. http://s119.photobucket.com/user/mhinchley/profile/ I know a taller tire would work better, but keeping it as close to street trim as possible, so using the same 17" rims. I like to be able to swap out tires without it standing out too much ;) . Previous owner was into 10s with a 28" & skinnies, but no headers or adjustable rear shocks or control arms. It was tuned at that time at MPH iirc, but don't have the sheet. Brenspeed is 45 minutes from me and I will take it to them if I don't like the data logs next time out. Afr was good around 11.7 @ wot.

Last edited:

mhinchley

Established Member
Shift light at 3200?
Shift light was at 3000 for launch and 6200 for shift points. Don't know why I typed that..but I did fix it now that you pointed it out. Thanks.

Yesterday while servicing my ac & replacing a hose for the system, I did find the air filter dirty as hell, so replaced that. It is 9" k&n & I like to have a backup on the shelf ready to go on when needed, so I will clean & oil the one I removed. Suppose I should check & replace plugs now.

Last edited:

stagedz

Cobra Convert
Established Member
with the E85 if you have the fuel system you should turn up the boost to 22-23...talk to C6ZHOMBRE hes got a 2.3 whipple on E85 as well.

mhinchley

Established Member
with the E85 if you have the fuel system you should turn up the boost to 22-23...talk to C6ZHOMBRE hes got a 2.3 whipple on E85 as well.
I sent him a message and see how fast he is spinning it. Thanks.

Update: I found his 714whp (wow) dyno post: http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-2-3-whipple-makes-terrible-TQ-LOL&highlight=
& we are spinning the blower nearly identical rpms. He is using a 7.4 crank/2.6 blower x 6300 rpm = 17,930 blower rpm. I am 8.6 crank/3.0 blower x 6300 rpm = 18,060 blower rpm. I am just guessing my boost # as I did not really look at it or log it. I will check it next time I get the car on a highway.

Once I get the data log running, I will post up here & get everyone's opinion. I may then take the car to Brenspeed & see if they can tweak the tune......maybe add some timing since I did just put the long tubes on & removed stock manis. I know I need to adjust the 8 way rear shocks & possible the 10 way front struts. I don't know much about setting them, so have to do some investigating. I have the pinion set @ -2*, so that should be good. I hated to cut the coil on the drag springs, but the car looked like a jacker before I did it, so I just HAD to.

Last edited:

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
MH, I'm running factory manifolds and cats, so that probably will yield a psi of boost or more versus a free flowing setup like yours. Also, I thought the factory caged lower was 7.5" (sometimes even seen 7.6" posted) so that would calc out a bit higher rpm than 7.4". You might end up needing a 2.8" upper to see 22psi

Anyways, nice runs and look forward to seeing your results on measuring the boost :beer:

mhinchley

Established Member
MH, I'm running factory manifolds and cats, so that probably will yield a psi of boost or more versus a free flowing setup like yours. Also, I thought the factory caged lower was 7.5" (sometimes even seen 7.6" posted) so that would calc out a bit higher rpm than 7.4". You might end up needing a 2.8" upper to see 22psi

Anyways, nice runs and look forward to seeing your results on measuring the boost :beer:
Metco lists the stock crank pulley @ 7.4". http://www.metcomotorsports.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CrankPulleyRing
Thanks for your help and info......helps me out quite a bit. I just bought this car last August and is my 1st 4 valve blown Mustang. Had other 4 valves & a couple blown Mustangs, but not 4 valves or twin screws, so learning as I go here. Not sure how the Whipple takes to being over spun beyond the 18,000. Guess I have to search out that info, cuz yeah, a pulley/belt swap is simple and cheap.

mhinchley

Established Member
Couple of updates. Got into boost on the toll road and saw 21psi on the AEM Uego. Having LT headers, no cats (Pro Chamber), and MagnaFlow c/b
exhaust, I was pretty excited to see 21 PSI. This was also with my 8 rib belt being a 6 or 7 rib. Shredded a tad due to pulley swap I just did on alternator to a 3.5". Must have not had it on completely somewhere. Oh well, there goes another $40.....lol. Excited all the same.

Besides the filthy K&N filter that I replaced, I pulled the plugs & found that they had not been changed in quite some time. Pretty clean since e85. So I threw in some new TR6 & gapped to .025" to stay on the safe side of blowout.

Finally, I made a spreadsheet using the formula of gear ratio to rpm to find the lowest drop off for shift points using the data from C6ZHOMBRE dyno since we are so similarly built. With the torque these Whipples make, the spreadsheet shows the least drop off all the way out at 6700-6800 rpm. Not sure I want to shift it that high? What is the safe limit rpm on the valve train here before float becomes a problem??? Very unclear after doing a Google search. Too many people answering without actually knowing the answer. At the track run posted, I shifted around 6250-6300 with no power shifting. Next time out I will launch hard, powershift 2nd & 3rd, & quickshift 4th.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread