03 clutch/TOB help.

Silver 03 Cobra

I got my 03 in early mid-June and the TOB started sqealing about three weeks later. I took it in to report it but was not ready to have the job done yet. It got progressively worse over time. I was planning on driving my 03 fron NC to Fla for Thanksgiving so I decided to go ahead and get the TOB replaced. I set up the appointment with my Ford dealer and I asked them if they would install a Spec clutch while they had the trans out. They said no problem. I asked them to check the fly wheel and call me if it needed replaced. I got a call the same day and they said the fly wheel had been hot and the recommended replacing it. I told them I had read the 03 OEM FW was not available but asked them to check. They called back and said it was and it would be there the next day if I wanted it. I told them to do it. Long story short. This went on for a week and with each day the expected arrival of the FW and each day a no-show. After a very heated exchange with the shop manager and my giving them one more day to get the job done, I get a phone call informing the FW was not available and that Ford had a revised FW that came with a new clutch already installed and they could get it the next day. I said hell no and to put my car back together. It drove fine for about a week when I started noticing a pulsing sensation in the clutch pedal. I got my car stuck in the snow last week and had a hard time getting it out. I cranked it up and I heard a very noticeable tick with the clutch out and the parking brake on. Way louder than the normal tick with about half the frequency. I finally got my car out and the noise went away. Friday night I was coming up to a stop sign and I pushed the clutch in and I heard a pop. I put the car in neutral while I was still rolling and with a slight pressure on the clutch I would get a very loud popping noise. As I applied the clutch half way the noise would go away. You could also feel quite a bit of jerking in the pedal. It has now gotten worse. Sometimes with the car sitting still and the clutch out it will start to make a hell of a popping noise and the pedal will acutually pulse. If you work the pedal a few times it smooths out fine like normal. In fact 90 percent of the time it feels like new. But once in awhile it gets in a funk.

Anybody have any ideas what this could be? Is there any way the clutch could be broken? I don't understand how it can be fine most of the time. Maybe the pressure plate is broken. I called the same dealer and sat up an appointment for Thursday. By the way, after I got my car back from the dealer after the TOB job, my cruise control would not work. The dealer damaged the rubber strip on my front bumper when it arrived and they said they ordered a new one and would send me notification when it arrived. I have asked them five times to replace it. When I called the last time I told them this was the 6th and last time I was going to ask. The guy looked it up and said it was ordered on June 11. I asked him why it had not been replaced. He said you should have asked. I asked him what did I just say, I asked you five times in the past. I'm not sure I want these jerks to work on it again.

Last edited by a moderator:

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
This sounds exactly like the symptoms mine had.

At the top of the pedal with slight pressure the thing vibrated and kicked. Pressing it in it settled down.

There was a squeal, and a loud popping also even in neutral with the pedal out.

I took mine in almost three weeks ago, and without getting into the whole story they are replacing the whole transmission.

I've been waiting for the tranny for 2 weeks. Today they told me it should be done tomorrow. We'll see.

I actually went and looked at the tranny in the shop floor with the service advisor and the mechanic.

There is a metal sleeve that surrounds the input shaft on the T56 that the throwout bearing rides and slides on.

This sleeve is pressed into the front of the tranny and housed in the bell housing.

Apparently replacing the bellhousing doesn't include this part, so they are replacing the whole transmission.

I would not wait any longer to take it in.

You'll get a rental and it will suck, but no matter what you do it will take as long as it takes for them to get it right. You can't really rush them.

They will end up most likely having to replace the tranny and at a shop cost of $5,000 you can bet they have some procedures to follow.

Good luck.

2003 Cobra

Established Member
When I first got my car, the clutch would catch in different positions; sometimes a little off the floor, sometimes in the middle and sometimes right at the floor. I tried the lift the pedal method of adjusting the clutch but it never seemed to hold in the same position. Every time I went above 4000 rpm and shifted, I never knew where the clutch was and wether or not the next gear would grind. Usually shifting into second was o.k. but going into third was not possible as the clutch would not have enough pedal and if I forced the shift it would just grind. I solved the problem by getting the Steeda "quick release" quadrant and a UPR firewall adjuster. After the installation of the quick release quadrant and adjuster, I knew exactly where my clutch would catch and the adjustment was fine tuned to my standards. Problem solved. The quick release quadrant and the firewall adjuster cost me about $75.00. I think it was money well spent.
More recently I changed my clutch out to a Centerforce unit but that was mainly so the wife can, on very rare ocassions, drive the car.

Silver 03 Cobra

Sly, what did they say caused the problem? I wonder if it something I did that could have caused it. I haven't raced it in almost a month. I spun the tires on the road a few times. I sure wouldn't think that would have caused any problems compared to launching on ET Streets at 4k revs.

julio

Established Member
Man, I hope these thing dont have the clutch peadal pulsations that some of the earlier cars have.....Dude I hope you get your car fixed, let me know how it goes...

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
They didn't really say what caused it. It looks like just a defect to me.

I've not had it on the track and only had 4800 miles on it.

If you haven't changed pulley / chip etc, meaning major HP mods then the car should be built to handle it's own power.

Don't try to let yourself believe you did something wrong.

These cars are built to run. Defects do happen though, and that's what I'm betting on.

I was just in stop and go traffic on the way home from work. Going about 10 miles an hour and the peddle just started vibrating and then I started hearing a squeal. I definitely was not racing.

The engine in my '01 GT gave out at 6,000 miles sitting at a stoplight.

Production lines and mass produced parts can have defects. That's what warranties are for. :)

Silver 03 Cobra

Thanks, Sly. Although the problem sounds very similar, I really think mine is in the yoke or TOB. 95 percent of the time the thing is smooth as silk like a new one. I'm taking it to another dealer. I have a buddy that is getting very good service at a non-SVT Ford dealer. If I find out it is something my dealer did on the original repair I will be very upset.

I know that Ford has a new fly wheel and it now only comes with a clutch assembly that is supposed to be revised. I'm wondering if the TOB has been changed. There are always screw ups. The dealer was able to order the original FW because it was still in Ford's system even though it was no longer available.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Make no mistake, my dealer thought it was the TOB originally too. They ordered the clutch kit and everything. Then they dropped the tranny and saw the real problem.

Just be sure to take it in no matter what.

Good luck to you.

I'm going to pick mine up in 30 minutes. FINALLY. :)

Silver 03 Cobra

Good luck.

I had my car in today to get some new F1's. They put it on the rack and lifted it pretty high so I crawled under it and looked. I had heard there is an inspection plate. I guess it is the big sheet metal boot/cover over the clutch yoke. Looks like you could probably see a lot with it off.

I set an appointment up with another dealer today. I plan on getting under it this weekend and see if I can see anything. The thing drove very well today and only once did it really start to make a noise. I would think that if the bearing on the output of the trans was bad it would show signs all the time. I wonder why they couldn't just replace the bearing on the trans instead of the whole trans. I take it in Monday so I should know something Monday afternoon. I'll post the results.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Its the throwout bearing retainer sleeve that came loose on mine, and they can't replace just that part because of the way it fits into the tranny apparently.

I saw mine out as I said, so they pointed out everything to me. You wouldn't be able to see the T Out bearing retainer sleeve unless you have the tranny off the flywheel. You have to look into the mouth of the bell housing to see it.

I got home a couple hours ago with mine.

They did the whole clutch kit / new flywheel and replaced the whole transmission.

The clutch is much smoother now also, and doesn't engage 1 inch from the floor anymore. It's still low, but a little more forgiving.

I have a lot of gear noise in 5 and 6, but as I recall when mine was new it had more noise as well. I'll give it a couple weeks to settle in.

I'm glad to have her back I'll tell you that. :) Just finished washing her.

Silver 03 Cobra

Sounds like that part would could not be damaged from abuse. I hope it works out fine for me. I just found out Friday they are closing my plant with a slim chance of a transfer that I will turn down if offered. I'm within two years of starting my own high performance parts manufacturing company. I should be able to find a job pretty easily because I can relocate. I plan on heading south.

RJTD34

Established Member
Mine was making a popping sound when letting the clutch out at low speed. Dealer initially replaced the tranny and then decided the clutch was the problem. After almost one month of waiting for them to get the right parts, finally got the car back. The service tech at the dealership said he was not sure how contact SVT and asked me for their phone number. I called SVT and got them to call the dealer to give them the correct part number for the clutch kit. Seems to be ok now. Very disappointed with the dealership in how they handled this problem.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Originally posted by 2003 Cobra
and a UPR firewall adjuster. After the installation of the quick release quadrant and adjuster

How'd you handle the bolt on the adjuster? I've read that you can't use the oem bolt since the head is too tall and hits the adjuster lock when you tighten it down. I have one ready to install. Just haven't done it yet :(

Silver 03 Cobra

I left work real late last night and it was probably in the low 40's. I cranked it up and was sitting there for a couple of minutes to let it warm up and I never touched the clutch after I cranked it and all of a sudden,"Pop, pop, pim, pang, boing,click,click". I just don't see how this can be the trans. It may be the clutch but I hope it is the TOB. I pumped the pedal a couple of times and it went away. It'll be at the dealer Monday and I'll post the findings.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
On mine like I say, it was the Tout bearing retainer sleeve, which is attached to the transmission.

That's why they had to replace the transmission.

Symptoms sound so much like what you describe.

Even at idle withe car running in neutral: pop pop pop, squeal.

Mines' back now and better than ever. Take that thing in already!! :)

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
Originally posted by slythetove
On mine like I say, it was the Tout bearing retainer sleeve, which is attached to the transmission.

That's why they had to replace the transmission.

Symptoms sound so much like what you describe.

Even at idle withe car running in neutral: pop pop pop, squeal.

Mines' back now and better than ever. Take that thing in already!! :)

I'm taking mine in on Monday for the same thing. For along time now it hasn't been squealing or doing anything unusual, which is good. But this week it has begun clank, clank, clank, clank (same as po po pop maybe) sound and squeal sound when I first start it up and also while driving slow. it happens sometimes at a stop light when its just sitting there in nuetral too. It doesn't happen all the time though so I'm hoping i can reproduce the problem when I'm at the dealer.

I'm thinking it is probably the retainer sleave but that is just a guess.

I'm also getting the lumbar inflatable support thing fixed in the seat. It doesn't work anymore and there is a big visable lump protruding from the back of the seat. I thinkthe lumbar air bag has an issue. maybe get a new seat perhaps.

anyways, wish me luck. I have the 2.93 DUB pulley on and I don't have the handy dandy SFPHQ dub remover tool to swap back the original. :(

So I'm going in with mods. They've always been pretty cool guys where I'm going so we will see what happens. I've made the mods so I'm not expecting any special exceptions to be made for me regarding warrenty coverage. But this tranny/TOB prob was happening since the 2nd week I've had the car back in July prior to any mods so I expect it to still be covered even with my mods.

:beer:

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
I need some advice on what to do

Originally posted by ygohome
I'm taking mine in on Monday for the same thing. For along time now it hasn't been squealing or doing anything unusual, which is good. But this week it has begun clank, clank, clank, clank (same as po po pop maybe) sound and squeal sound when I first start it up and also while driving slow. it happens sometimes at a stop light when its just sitting there in nuetral too. It doesn't happen all the time though so I'm hoping i can reproduce the problem when I'm at the dealer.

I'm thinking it is probably the retainer sleave but that is just a guess.

I'm also getting the lumbar inflatable support thing fixed in the seat. It doesn't work anymore and there is a big visable lump protruding from the back of the seat. I thinkthe lumbar air bag has an issue. maybe get a new seat perhaps.

anyways, wish me luck. I have the 2.93 DUB pulley on and I don't have the handy dandy SFPHQ dub remover tool to swap back the original. :(

So I'm going in with mods. They've always been pretty cool guys where I'm going so we will see what happens. I've made the mods so I'm not expecting any special exceptions to be made for me regarding warrenty coverage. But this tranny/TOB prob was happening since the 2nd week I've had the car back in July prior to any mods so I expect it to still be covered even with my mods.

:beer:

I just picked up my car after leaving it at the Earnhardt Ford Dealership here in Tempe, AZ this week.

I dropped it off for them to look at the Clutch/transmission problem that I've mentioned above.

The transmission makes a loud metalic clunking sound that you can hear from many many feet away from the car. And the pedal pulsates alot. Sometimes when I push in on the pedal it feels very soft and "clanky" pulsates and "waubles". THis is the best I can describe it.

Well, the service rep says that havn't got a clue as to the problem or how to fix it. They suspect the clutch release bearing though. The rep calls Ford and talks to someone who says this is a known issue with the 03's CLutch release bearing and that there is not a fix for it (yet).

So the rep calls me and says he's sorry but there is nothing they can do at this time.

THis sounds like a lame excuse to me. If they know it is the clutch release bearing then they should fix it! If they are not sure it is the clutch release bearing and they are only guessing then they sound like idiots who do not want to spend time in fixing it.

Either way, I feel like I'm getting screwed. They gave me an issue tracking # and a phone # to ford so that I can follow up on it more... but I don't think the Ford people really know what the problem is either since they were only relying on the Dealership to give them accurate info about the problem... since the dealership doesn't know what they are doing then I doubt the FOrd people were adequetly informed to my problem either.

Anyways, I'm pretty mad and probably not thinking clearly right now. My serv rep is away from work now to middle of next week... (he's having surgery done according to his voice msg). I'm calling him next week to vent a little more and to get more details on what exactly is going on and what to do to get this fixed once and for all.

I suspect it is the retainer thing but they ignore my input and continue to say they havn't got a clue.... okay... now I'm just rambling AGGHHHHH!

Any advice on this.... I'm going to a different dealer if after I talk to this guy again and the give me more of the run around.

Thanks in advance on any advice you can give :beer:

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Tell them they are full of it and any good aftermarket bearing would work way better than the POS they used. Ask anyone who's changed the stock TOB for a aftermarket one.

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
Originally posted by 94SVT Coupe
Tell them they are full of it and any good aftermarket bearing would work way better than the POS they used. Ask anyone who's changed the stock TOB for a aftermarket one.

If this is something that can be fixed with just a better aftermarket TOB then I will get one. Actually, I'd probably just invest in getting a whole new clutch assmbly, TOB, pressure plate, and whatever else... I don't even mind paying for it as long as it is fixed.

But I'm concerned that if it is the retainer sleave then the new clutch TOB, etc will not make a difference and just a waste of my money.

But I'll mention all of this to my service rep guy to see what he has to say about it.

THanks again :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread