03 & 98 instrument cluster

JAVZCOBRA

Established Member
Hey guys, I posted this in the tech section, but figured you guys might have a "Magyver" way of fixing my prob. My odometer quit wrking...but the Speedo and RPM still wrk. I was told by a friend that the gears of the odometer may have stripped and thats why the odometer doesnt turn anymore. Do I have to replace the entire cluster? and if so can I use the 03 cluster? If there is a easier way, plz let me know. Thx in advance!!!!

Javier

PowerCobra98

Yes, mine is better.
Established Member
Did you by change replace the bezel around the gauges with a different one? I did that and my odometer stoppped working too. The problem was that behind the "reset" button the plastic needed to be trimmed down. It's kinda hard to describe but if you did replace that bezel with something different then that's your problem.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
WTF ... say, I replaced the bezel on my '95, and the odometer quit working too! I took it back off and looked around, then put it back on. Are you saying that the reset shaft rubs on the lens as it passes thru? Here's my cluster bezel upgrade story:
http://users2.ev1.net/~w8368/bezel.htm

Dan

JAVZCOBRA

Established Member
Nope, in my case the car is all original, and it only has 23,000 miles on it. I thought it was weird that it just stopped but I have to have it fixed.

PowerCobra98

Yes, mine is better.
Established Member
Originally posted by Dano
WTF ... say, I replaced the bezel on my '95, and the odometer quit working too! I took it back off and looked around, then put it back on. Are you saying that the reset shaft rubs on the lens as it passes thru? Here's my cluster bezel upgrade story:

Dan

Kind of, but that's the problem. If you compare a 94-98 bezel with a 99+ you would see that the reset button on the 99+ has plastic around it where as the older ones don't. That is what you have to trim off. Just cut the plastic from the back of the reset knob off and then the tripometer will work again. I had a 35th anniversary bezel that I painted totally silver and figured out that was the problem. After trimming the excess away everything worked as it should.

JAVZCOBRA

Established Member
Even if I do replace the cluster...it doesnt come with a new odometer. So now wht do I do???

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
When mine stopped working (after I replaced the bezel, took it back off, and fooled with it, put it back on, etc.) I called a shop here in San Antonio that repairs speedometers, explained what happened to him, anf he said that it sounded like it had just failed! The cost to replace it was out of this world, so I've learned to live without the trip meter (it was just a back-up thing so I would know when to fill-up with gas, anyway.

Dan

JAVZCOBRA

Established Member
Do u know if "TRUE MILEAGE" can be read by hooking a computer to the car at a SVT dealership?

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by JAVZCOBRA
Do u know if "TRUE MILEAGE" can be read by hooking a computer to the car at a SVT dealership?

No

Users who are viewing this thread