03-04 w/ cams, ported heads

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Anyone with these mods? With or without stock blower.
I'm sure someone has the cams but both cams and ported heads? Just curious how much more power you gained.
If you purchased an Apten ported blower, ported heads and cams would you be in the same ballpark as the KB guys? Ultimately they would come out on top IMO but for the most part you'd be neck and neck on the streets. Anyone?

11secCobra

Way2Fast4These LS1 guys
Established Member
you could probobly pick up around 60-80rwhp just with ported heads if your running anything more than stock boost

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
I was hoping more folks would have done these mods by now. I figure the same tricks on 5.0's would work. Not many are cracking the valve covers off these things. I know it's gotta be way expensive to do but there must be tons of untapped power there! I really think you could be neck and neck with the KB guys. Hope to see someone do it soon! :)

lRageATMl

GO TERPS!
Established Member
I am...results very very soon, I don't even know where to start with what mods I am doing to my car (I probably forgot something but I think this is everything)...:

Power Mods:
-Block Bored over .020
-Diamond 15cc Pistons (raised compression to 8.7:1 or so)
-Stage 1 Ported Heads from LM Engines
-Stage 1 Cams from LM Engines
-Ported Blower from LM Engines
-2.80 No Slip upper, 4lb Metco Lower
-Billetflow Throttle Body and Plenum
-12inch Powerstack filter
-Pro-M 95mm MAF
-Kooks Stainless Steel Longtube Headers w/ Matching Off road X-pipe (from JDM...very good quality pieces)
-Custom Magnaflow 3inch Catback

Fuel/Cooling Mods:
-55lb Siemen Injectors and Adapters
-Focus Fuel pumps apten
-Cooling Mod from Apten
-2 SPAL Fans from Amazon Racing
-160 Degree Thermostat
-Manual Swtiches to turn on all fans and intercooler pump

Other Mods:
-Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter
-UPR Triple Hook Quadrant
-UPR Firewall Adjuster
-Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch

I was going to go to JDM at first to get the tune, but it looks like I will have to tow my car to the shop and AAA won't do it (too far, > 100 miles away).

So instead I am going to Kauffmans (< 100 miles away from me) on FRIDAY the 20th @ 1PM to get a Partial Tune (something I need anyways). Then I will be returning most likely a week later to get a WOT tune, both done with EFI Flash.

So very very soon!

Last edited:

lRageATMl

GO TERPS!
Established Member
I can say this in terms of what will be the limits of power....

#1, how much air the eaton can push, you can flow as much as you want but if the eaton can't supply the air to go through it then it will be useless.

#2, Fuel pressure and Duty Cycle/Load on the Injectors. I will not allow under 43psi of fuel pressure and more then 85% duty cycle/load on the injectors.

Some other things that I will have internally in my car also will be:

-Autometer Lunar Boost Guage (already have)
-Autometer Lunar Water Temp Guage (already have)
-Autometer Lunar Fuel pressure (need to buy...waiting for the best deal to come by)
-The Wideband A/F thing from dynojet, I'm on the list with xcessive to get the new wideoband a/f thingy.

I hope my car doesn't look too rice in my car with all the guages. I will have a instrument panel bezel and a A pillar bezel to store the guages inside the car.

Last edited:

03'Darin

Established Member
Originally posted by lRageATMl
I can say this in terms of what will be the limits of power....

#1, how much air the eaton can push, you can flow as much as you want but if the eaton can't supply the air to go through it then it will be useless.

#2, Fuel pressure and Duty Cycle/Load on the Injectors. I will not allow under 43psi of fuel pressure and more then 85% duty cycle/load on the injectors.

Some other things that I will have internally in my car also will be:

-Autometer Lunar Boost Guage (already have)
-Autometer Lunar Water Temp Guage (already have)
-Autometer Lunar Fuel pressure (need to buy...waiting for the best deal to come by)
-The Wideband A/F thing from dynojet, I'm on the list with xcessive to get the new wideoband a/f thingy.

I hope my car doesn't look too rice in my car with all the guages. I will have a instrument panel bezel and a A pillar bezel to store the guages inside the car.

Rage..... any idea how soon you will be doing the tuning on your car. I'm anxious to see your numbers.

Darin

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I am...results very very soon, I don't even know where to start with what mods I am doing to my car (I probably forgot something but I think this is everything)...:

Power Mods:
-Block Bored over .020
-Diamond 15cc Pistons (raised compression to 8.7:1 or so)
-Stage 1 Ported Heads from LM Engines
-Stage 1 Cams from LM Engines
-Ported Blower from LM Engines

I have been looking at L&M's web site and am wondering why you went with Stage 1 stuff? Is there any reason you didn't go with a more radical setup? Just curious...

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Originally posted by venom279
Not if the KB owners do the same thing.

:beer:

What I meant was most folks seem to be buying the KB and calling it good. What if someone spent the same money($4,000) on the motor and stock blower. Would power levels be close?
The ultimate blower car(stock,Apten,KB) would have the heads ported, cams, NOS and an aftermarket blower unit.
So if someone already has 700+RWHP how much would they have after a good port!

lRageATMl

GO TERPS!
Established Member
Originally posted by JPKII
I have been looking at L&M's web site and am wondering why you went with Stage 1 stuff? Is there any reason you didn't go with a more radical setup? Just curious...

Believe it or not, the car is still my daily driver. I've managed to get around without it (renting/borrowing cars from family sucks), but it is the only car I have.

lRageATMl

GO TERPS!
Established Member
Originally posted by 03'Darin
Rage..... any idea how soon you will be doing the tuning on your car. I'm anxious to see your numbers.

Darin

if you read my first post I stated that I will be at Kauffmans this friday to get my part throttle tune. After this I will drive the car around for about 500-1000miles to let the new motor break in. After that I will go back to kauffman's (about 1-2weeks depending on ho wmuch driving I can get in) and get my WOT tune.

03'Darin

Established Member
if you read my first post I stated that I will be at Kauffmans this friday to get my part throttle tune. After this I will drive the car around for about 500-1000miles to let the new motor break in. After that I will go back to kauffman's (about 1-2weeks depending on ho wmuch driving I can get in) and get my WOT tune.

Sorry, I missed that a the bottom of the post.

You have got to be excited with the end result being this close.:rockon:

Darin

lRageATMl

GO TERPS!
Established Member
Originally posted by 03'Darin
Sorry, I missed that a the bottom of the post.

You have got to be excited with the end result being this close.:rockon:

Darin

I am at the same time scared that something will go wrong...:??:

venom279

Established Member
Originally posted by 04MystiCobra
What I meant was most folks seem to be buying the KB and calling it good. What if someone spent the same money($4,000) on the motor and stock blower. Would power levels be close?
The ultimate blower car(stock,Apten,KB) would have the heads ported, cams, NOS and an aftermarket blower unit.
So if someone already has 700+RWHP how much would they have after a good port!

I know, I know, I was just flipping in some poo since I have a KB, didn't mean to disrespect or anything.

I think the Apten blower with the cams would be an awesome combination though!!:beer:

PS Take car of yourself over there!!

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread