03/04 Questions.

Wh1teLightning

how many people daily drive their cobras?
how reliable are they long term?
How reliable are they long term at bolt on level (450-500 ) rwhp.
any daily driven KB 03/04s?
what was the 03 tick of death? did 04s resolve this?
any major issue with them? at what power level is the motor a limitation?

and before JKD chimes in.. im asking for a friend..

STROKD

Takin pictures of stuff
Established Member
White_lightning said:
how many people daily drive their cobras?
how reliable are they long term?
How reliable are they long term at bolt on level (450-500 ) rwhp.
any daily driven KB 03/04s?
what was the 03 tick of death? did 04s resolve this?
any major issue with them? at what power level is the motor a limitation?

and before JKD chimes in.. im asking for a friend..
I'll try... answers to your questions
I do, 500-1500 miles a month
very as long as they are tuned right and not wrecked
see above answer
Not yet, over here anyways, but yes people have them as DD with lots of power (Womack, John)
it was caused by something bogus in the original head design, and can happen from lots of stress in fifth or sixth gear trying to go 180 lol... I've been 160 in fifth and no problems yet. It's best to not pull fifth or sixth, the car runs good up there, but it isn't necessary.
The rear ends suck. Get a girdle and keep it from hopping and it's all good. Don't launch it often on slicks till you upgrade the half shafts. Manny made 970 rw with his 100% stock motor till he put the stroker in it... it never popped as far as I know
You should get one, they are bad ass cars...
:coolman:

STROKD

Takin pictures of stuff
Established Member
White_lightning said:
so no 5th gear pulls? that limits them to what? 155ish mph?
how do the air/water ICs compare with strapping on a big FMIC?
yea 150-155 in fourth at 7K rpm or so...

the air to water is under the blower, that stays, you just upgrade the FMIC as you call it which is really a HE or heat exchanger... I think they are basically the same thing, but the HE cools the fluid off that comes out of the intercooler , at least I think that is how it works... it has an intercooler and the "FMIC" (HE), little different than a regular turbo setup.;-)

STROKD

Takin pictures of stuff
Established Member
White_lightning said:
Paul, how much power are you putting down.. any gas mileage stats?
i hear alot of complaints about heat soak after a few pulls.. any way to remedy this with out a $2000 FMIC?
Mine was only $640, and that is with the fans... you don't really need the fans, bt they help a lot at idle or at the track... I leave mine on when I race, to help cool it down real damn fast...:-D

04cobra408

NorCal SVTOA
Established Member
I daily drive my vert, and i have only had one exhaust leak in the 2yrs ive had the car (been modded since the 2nd week i got it) and i got 500whp+ and the one lil exhaust leak has been my only problem and the only time the car was down since ive had it. The car has been very reliable (knocks on wood)

Last edited:

Paul's_03SVT

Established Member
White_lightning said:
Paul, how much power are you putting down.. any gas mileage stats?
i hear alot of complaints about heat soak after a few pulls.. any way to remedy this with out a $2000 FMIC?
48X/47X. Like Matt was saying we don't really have fmic more like heat exchangers. I have a single pass HE I got used for 100 bucks, and works perfect.

I don't think these cars heat soak as much as people think. On the dyno; pull after pull will be less because there is no air going across the car.

I have been to the track a few times, and when I did back to back to back runs the mph/times/60's were consistent. If I was losing power like dynos show, after each run you would think the times would be different.

Also when racing I don't notice power losses. I don't recommend doing back to back to back anything though.

As far as gas mileage I am thinking 13 mpg (city). I havent checked in a while.

Last edited:

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
how many people daily drive their cobras? I do, but it's only a 20 mile commute. Coming up on 3 years old and only 17k miles.
how reliable are they long term? So far, so good. You'll see some in the Terminator forum with 60k+ miles.
How reliable are they long term at bolt on level (450-500 ) rwhp. 520/540 for me and no issues. Freak injector failure last summer but Manny and the guys at HPP found and fixed the issue.
any daily driven KB 03/04s? Not here
what was the 03 tick of death? did 04s resolve this? Many posts, try the search for the good, the bad, the ugly and the chances of this happening.
any major issue with them? at what power level is the motor a limitation? Several have 600+ rwhp and still daily drive them.
These are awesome cars. Not indestructible by any means, but as a whole, they've taken a lot of performance mods easily and have been reliable. Good luck to "your friend".

foofinator

Engineer/Lawyer
Established Member
Mine was awesome reliable at 502 rwhp.. then I added a 2lb lower and broke a million things.

A motor, a transmission, a rear end, 10 frps and a supercharger.. keep in mind this is after 40k miles of racing every 5 seconds. I drove the car to Austin and back the week before the wreck and it was reliable again.

Last edited:

$ickZ06

Established Member
I daily drive mine. I have had no problems whatsoever until yesterday when my damn alternator died at only 18k miles. Besides that it has been nice and reliable. I'm still on stock clutch.

I can't speak for everybody though, because my friend has a 04 Mystichrome and he hates that car because he has had so many problems with it and it's bone stock.

foofinator

Engineer/Lawyer
Established Member
The heatsoak isn't bad yet because you don't have a lower pulley.. I used to do back to back stuff all the time before the lower. The night I fried my engine was when I raced 6-8 times with the upper/lower combo.

STROKD

Takin pictures of stuff
Established Member
foofinator said:
The heatsoak isn't bad yet because you don't have a lower pulley.. I used to do back to back stuff all the time before the lower. The night I fried my engine was when I raced 6-8 times with the upper/lower combo.
sounds like the lower worked out well for you...:lol1:

Users who are viewing this thread