03/04 Engine Swap?

Hlistr_07RR

Angel's Daddy
Established Member
Long story short, I ran low on oil and the engine seized up on me. I had it towed up to a shop in PA and they added oil, changed the battery and were able to get it to start, but it runs rough and there are metal shavings in the oil. I'm thinking for the same amount of money for a rebuild, I could just put an 03/04 engine in.

I'm looking for someone who has done it in an 01. Do you need the wiring harness? What other parts would you need, if the engine came basically stripped, with just the eaton, a 2.8 pulley, the injectors and fuel rails?

Can I swap my engine parts onto it? Would you recommend changing to the 6 speed transmission while I'm at it? What problems would the 5 speed have?

Thanks guys

fst86410

Established Member
Just got done with doing this to my dads 01. Really easy, but he had all the assesories for the 03. I used the 01 harness, the only thing I had to do was extend the wires for the iat sensor to reach the iat2 sensor on the 03 motor. I also had to use the battery and starter cables for the 03. As for the transmission I would use a six speed. I don't think a stock five speed will handle the torque of the 03 motor.

Hlistr_07RR

Angel's Daddy
Established Member
How long did it take you to do it? You run into any other problems? I'm thinking the same thing about the tranny, I don't want to not change it, then run into issues later on.

fst86410

Established Member
Well I wasn't on any kind of time crunch, so I worked on it now and then when I got time. It took me about two weeks. But if I was in a hurry I would say as long as you have everything thats needed I would say you could do it in a weekend.

GoatSlayer

Banned
Just got done with doing this to my dads 01. Really easy, but he had all the assesories for the 03. I used the 01 harness, the only thing I had to do was extend the wires for the iat sensor to reach the iat2 sensor on the 03 motor. I also had to use the battery and starter cables for the 03. As for the transmission I would use a six speed. I don't think a stock five speed will handle the torque of the 03 motor.

I thought you had to use the 01 cobra transmission harness with the T56 since if you are using the 01 cobra engine harness, the T56 harness wont work with the 01 cobra engine harness because the pins at the connector dont match. I could be wrong though.

Doing the same swap

GoatSlayer

Banned
Long story short, I ran low on oil and the engine seized up on me. I had it towed up to a shop in PA and they added oil, changed the battery and were able to get it to start, but it runs rough and there are metal shavings in the oil. I'm thinking for the same amount of money for a rebuild, I could just put an 03/04 engine in.

I'm looking for someone who has done it in an 01. Do you need the wiring harness? What other parts would you need, if the engine came basically stripped, with just the eaton, a 2.8 pulley, the injectors and fuel rails?

Can I swap my engine parts onto it? Would you recommend changing to the 6 speed transmission while I'm at it? What problems would the 5 speed have?

Thanks guys

You can not swap your engine parts to it. One thing i will tell you, its not cheap. If money is tight, just buy a built longblock which will be cheaper than an 03/04 swap.
You will need a decent fuel system, injectors etc basically everything that 03/04 cobra has. You might be able to get away without using the EGR and other minor things.

If you dont beat on the car too much, your stock tranny will last a little longer. I decided to go with T56 just to get it over with.

Last edited:

fst86410

Established Member
I thought you had to use the 01 cobra transmission harness with the T56 since if you are using the 01 cobra engine harness, the T56 harness wont work with the 01 cobra engine harness because the pins at the connector dont match. I could be wrong though.

Doing the same swap

I'm sorry I guess implied that. Buy yes I use both 01 engine and transmission harnesses. Also you should up grade your fuel system. I forgot there was one other plug I had to swap and that is the oil pressure plug.

kezell

MW3-kezell17
Established Member
I did the complete swap. I swapped the engine, and every wiring harness, ecu, fuel tank, body harness, etc....

The only reason I did the compete swap was I had a donor car right on site. So every nut, bolt and plug was there.

With that being said, you can do it with out all the 03/04 wiring. Just have to do like the others have said and splice some wires, etc...

Its not going to be cheaper if you have to purchase most of this stuff. Well thats unless you are building a full blown motor.

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
Splicing your harness to work with the 03 engine should be too bad. You will need to do the IAT as someone mentioned, as well as the i/c pump and alternator pigtail for an 03. Your 01 transmission wiring harness will work on a T56, but an 03 T56 harness will not work with your 01 engine/body harness.

There is a bit more than just dropping the 03 motor in and wiring it up. Fuel system or one and you will need a tune in most cases. It would be cheaper to rebuild your motor and also easier too as its all for an 01. Of course you wouldn't have the blower though, but they can be had for about $2000-$2500 now which isn't too bad for a complete blower setup.

Hlistr_07RR

Angel's Daddy
Established Member
Now I'm not so sure. So I'd need an intercooler, different fuel pumps, a different wiring harness if I swap to the 6 speed transmission? The engine comes with 39 lb injectors. I can't use my alternator etc? I always thought these engines were basically identical, just didn't have the eaton.

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
You only need the T56 harness if you are running the 03 cobra engine harness. Your 01 trans harness will work with a T56. I have a T56 in my car and I have an 01. You should look at the eaton swap thread and you will see all the parts you need. Its a lot more than just a motor with an eaton on it. If this motor isn't complete you may be better of building your blown motor and picking up an eaton swap kit or a D1 procharger, Vortech, etc.

You can't use your alternator or the pigtail on your car now.

GoatSlayer

Banned
Now I'm not so sure. So I'd need an intercooler, different fuel pumps, a different wiring harness if I swap to the 6 speed transmission? The engine comes with 39 lb injectors. I can't use my alternator etc? I always thought these engines were basically identical, just didn't have the eaton.

No, these engines are not identical. Money wise, be prepared to drop more than $12000 depending on where and how you are getting the parts.

Last edited:

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
You only need the T56 harness if you are running the 03 cobra engine harness. Your 01 trans harness will work with a T56. I have a T56 in my car and I have an 01. You should look at the eaton swap thread and you will see all the parts you need. Its a lot more than just a motor with an eaton on it. If this motor isn't complete you may be better of building your blown motor and picking up an eaton swap kit or a D1 procharger, Vortech, etc.

You can't use your alternator or the pigtail on your car now.

I used my 01 Cobra alternator.

IMAG0339.jpg

IMAG0362.jpg

IMAG0363.jpg

IMAG0369.jpg

IMAG0371.jpg

The man behind these brackets is Terry Gorsuch @ [email protected].

Hlistr_07RR

Angel's Daddy
Established Member
Damn. 12k? I was thinking I spend 5k for the engine/tranny, maybe another 1-2k in misc parts and then the labor for someone to drop it in, unless I attempt to do it myself. You really think it'd be another 7k in misc parts?

Hlistr_07RR

Angel's Daddy
Established Member
I already have. It's in frederick, has 42k on it and comes with 39lb injectors and a 2.8 pulley. The tranny has 5k on the clutch.

Hlistr_07RR

Angel's Daddy
Established Member
A cheaper option. I've heard 96-98 Mark VIII engine's had the same longblock as my engine? Could I get one of those from a junkyard, and use my shortblock? They tore the engine apart and said basically that I'm better off getting a re manufactured engine, or a junkyard motor, because by the time they rebuild it it's going to be about the same amount of money.

01yellercobra

Established Member
A cheaper option. I've heard 96-98 Mark VIII engine's had the same longblock as my engine? Could I get one of those from a junkyard, and use my shortblock? They tore the engine apart and said basically that I'm better off getting a re manufactured engine, or a junkyard motor, because by the time they rebuild it it's going to be about the same amount of money.

The Mark's use the B heads. Why would you use your shortblock? Isn't it toast? You can use the Mark shortblock, but the crank isn't forged and you would need a 6 bolt flywheel. If your heads are ok I'd look into a forged shortblock. Or if your crank is toast but your block is good you could always go with a stroker set up.

Hlistr_07RR

Angel's Daddy
Established Member
Ok looks like I may be going with the 04 engine. Can you think of anything else I'll need besides an intercooler and the tubing for it? Do I need to do boost a pumps or any different type of fuel system? It's going to have the 2.8 pulley on it, other than that a stock 04 eaton motor. And probably a CAI. Will I need a tune?

Users who are viewing this thread