03/04 Eaton Blower plus a Twin Turbo kit!! Is it Possible?

TTSaleen

SWTDRMS
Established Member
I currently am running a twin turbo setup on a 99 aluminum block cobra, the other day I was wondering if anyone has seen a setup where they combined a roots style blower with a twin turbo system. The only thing I see being a problem would be the blower not seeing enough motor/pulley spin? or a lack of a better description, the blower would not spin due to the reverse airflow?
Any thoughts?

Luke :shrug:

SSSNAKE04

Established Member
HMMM interesting question you got me thinking, but why da hell what you want that anyways, if you want roots style SC, i can give you my set up for that TT LOL

v8musclecobra

Established Member
i wrote to hellion to see if it was possible with a single. he told me that it was but might take some power away from the turbo. Would be an insane set up which id also like to try. Just build up the motor first so it can handle a shit load of boost. But imo it would be the most fun car to drive cause of the power all the way through plus the solid increase when the turbo's spool. Only one way to find out if itd work for sure though... ;-)

TTSaleen

SWTDRMS
Established Member
v8musclecobra said:
Only one way to find out if itd work for sure though... ;-)

My thoughts exactly, well to be honest I just was thinking about turbo lag, not that its so bad with the small turbos, but if I could create a system that would allow for a complete "motor setup" if you follow me, I think it would be an unstoppable beast from just about any spectrum.

If the guy at hellion said it will possibly rob power from the turbos it might just be smart to just up the boost :shrug:

Any other thoughts would be appreciated, although it isn't unique any more I did think of the 4v-gt swap turbo setup a few years ago I just don't have the funds to put it together as quickly as most can.

I just wanna remain unique and this came to mind, :beer:

TTSaleen

SWTDRMS
Established Member
SSSNAKE04 said:
HMMM interesting question you got me thinking, but why da hell what you want that anyways, if you want roots style SC, i can give you my set up for that TT LOL

:lol1: nice try.... :beer:

SVECobraR

Established Member
volkswagon is releasing a production motor a 1.1 i believe thats superchargered and turbocharged and intercooled, but i don't think its coming to the states. But it makes like 180hp.

SpookSVT

Established Member
Its called twin charging, very intriquite setup. I've seen it used on alot of cars from saturns to a skyline. A lot of diesals use it to get moving and stay moving. It has been around a while. IIRC these setups were used on alot of WWII fighters to cram as much air in as possible, might have been just a couple turbochargers so don't quote me on that.

IMO I thinks it's more of a "wow" factor on the cobra platform as you'd have some serious traction issues and w/ modern turbo technology the blower would be holding back a lot especially at high boost. But if your looking to be unique go for it, it's doable w/ time, a lot of work/tuning, and a bit of money.

Cat Breath

Established Member
SpookSVT said:
IMO I thinks it's more of a "wow" factor...

Indeed. Whatever your target boost is you'd be making much less HP than a properly sized turbo setup w/o the eaton.

There's a couple different ways you could design such combo. One would be to let the supercharger build boost for low rpm HP and then open the bypass valve on the blower as the turbo builds boost, but of course you would still be spining the blower thus robbing you of hp, unless you were somehow able to convert it to a clutch driven setup. This option would give you the low rpm power of the blower and the top end of the turbo (minus the power to free spin the blower).

The easiest route would be slap on a thumper (T-100 or so) class turbo and add a minimal amount of boost to the intake of the eaton without the bypass trick. The roots blower provides boost at full throtle that is a constant multiplier of the engine size for a given air density (close enough for conjecture purposes). Thus if you are making 12lbs of boost on your eaton here in Denver (tell me how if you are lol) thats about a 2:1 ratio. To hit a target of 20lbs total boost, for example, the turbo would only need to supply 4lbs of boost (20lbs boost + 12lbs ambient = 32lbs total, half of 32 is 16 (the blower doubles what comes in at 2:1 so half the total), minus 12 pounds ambient gives 4 extra pounds). You could take better advantage of the higher efficiency of the turbo by starting with a lower multiplier for your blower, but of course you'd have less off the line omph.

Last edited:

moddestmike

2 Degrees/Still Confused
Established Member
Compound Charging- SCC magazine did a turbo/eaton style blower setup on an MR2, the torque curve was amazingly flat but the extra spin from the compressor would hydraulic the blower which would rob horsepower up top. Still made incredible numbers. I have also seen an eaton blower casing used as an inake manifold for a twin turbo setup. I would prefer a 3.0 whipple though.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
TTSaleen said:
I currently am running a twin turbo setup on a 99 aluminum block cobra, the other day I was wondering if anyone has seen a setup where they combined a roots style blower with a twin turbo system. The only thing I see being a problem would be the blower not seeing enough motor/pulley spin? or a lack of a better description, the blower would not spin due to the reverse airflow?
Any thoughts?

Luke :shrug:
The IAT's from this setup would be incredibly hot. Just stick with your turbos and skip this silly idea. If you want more low end, spray a 50-100 shot and be done with it.

TTSaleen

SWTDRMS
Established Member
badcobra said:
The IAT's from this setup would be incredibly hot. Just stick with your turbos and skip this silly idea. If you want more low end, spray a 50-100 shot and be done with it.

That was my original thought as stated in the my first post, but by no means is this a silly idea, you heard it hear first here, one day she will come. I don't have the R/E and bank roll to support this idea but someone someday will. :beer:

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
I just re-read your first post and I don't see anything in regards to IAT's. This type of setup would be a MAJOR choke to the turbo system. The stock intercooler is not efficient enough to handle this. The computer would pull mad timing because of the IAT's, and you would likely lose power over just running the turbos. A guy just had his turbo cobra tuned by Hermann. It's utilizing the factory intercooler system and his IAT's are much higher than front mount intercooler causing a big loss in power. You may gain some low end torque, but the sacrifice is not worth it in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread