03-04 Cobras:What RPM are you guys going threw the 1/4traps w/26 tall ET-Streets?

SJ-KY

Established Member
With the stock gear. Or if you dont pay attention to the tach,MPH would be good to. Im Just trying to figure out how tall of a slick I need to buy 26 or 28.

Z-06_Killa

slow and untuned!!!
Established Member
SJ-KY said:
With the stock gear. Or if you dont pay attention to the tach,MPH would be good to. Im Just trying to figure out how tall of a slick I need to buy 26 or 28.
see sig for MPH, i run 26x11.5x16 ET Streets @ 20psi on a 16" GT wheel(94-95 style) not sure on the width but i think they are 8.5" wide wheels. i would estimate the actual height of the tires on my car with these wheels is close to 27.5 to 28"s. Mickey Thompson advertises 26.6"s i think. only way i would run a 28" tire is if i was making alot more HP or if i was running a 4.10 gear.

SJ-KY

Established Member
The car should run around 119-122 on boost. I'd say 127-131 on a 75-shot. I guess my question should be will 4th gear w/a 26-tall tire and stock gears go 130mph?
Thanks

Z-06_Killa

slow and untuned!!!
Established Member
SJ-KY said:
The car should run around 119-122 on boost. I'd say 127-131 on a 75-shot. I guess my question should be will 4th gear w/a 26-tall tire and stock gears go 130mph?
Thanks

26" tall is equal to the hieght of the factory 275/40/17. i have had my car to 140 in 4th gear with the ET Streets on it, and with the stock wheels and tires. << no this was obviously not my trap speed LOL.

go here and type in 275/40/17....yes i know its mainly a 4x4 tire website but hey it does the conversion.

Last edited:

TheYellowCobra

Established Member
The ET Streets are taller than they advertise. I have the 26 x 11.5 x 17 and they look a lot taller than the stock tires which are around 25.66". The best trap speed I got with the ET Streets was 114.96 MPH. I was able to get 115.51 MPH with the stock tires and same mods. They definately hurt your gearing a little but the improved 60' times are worth it.

StngStr

Mustang-less
Established Member
a 26 inch tall tire, stock gears, @ 130 mph in 4th would be 5966 rpms. Just in case the 26 in tire is a bit bigger, 27 in tire, stock gears, @ 130 mph in 4th would be 5745.

The problem is....when you say 130 mph, are you talking about your trap speed, or the speed you're at when you cross the finish line? Because, a 130 mph trap speed could be 135 or more at the finish line. For example...when my trap speed is 115 (on the time slip), I'm actually hitting 120 when I cross the finish line.

So.....same as above, 26 in tire @ 135 mph is 6195 rpms, 27 in tire is 5966.

1slosnake

10 second pilot
Established Member
StngStr said:
a 26 inch tall tire, stock gears, @ 130 mph in 4th would be 5966 rpms. Just in case the 26 in tire is a bit bigger, 27 in tire, stock gears, @ 130 mph in 4th would be 5745.

The problem is....when you say 130 mph, are you talking about your trap speed, or the speed you're at when you cross the finish line? Because, a 130 mph trap speed could be 135 or more at the finish line. For example...when my trap speed is 115 (on the time slip), I'm actually hitting 120 when I cross the finish line.

So.....same as above, 26 in tire @ 135 mph is 6195 rpms, 27 in tire is 5966.
All mine that were stated where estimates never really bothered to study the MPH when I was going that fast :lol1: I will take a look I am going to the track on Sat. so I will know then. I just made sure I wasn't over 6k. I believe I was pretty close, thats the only thing I was worrying about. I am pretty sure you know this but alot of people don't, the track estimates your MPH it isn't an actually reading. So alot of times when you spin you get a better MPH.

Last edited:

TheYellowCobra

Established Member
1slosnake said:
All mine that were stated where estimates never really bothered to study the MPH when I was going that fast :lol1: I will take a look I am going to the track on Sat. so I will know then. I just made sure I wasn't over 6k. I believe I was pretty close, thats the only thing I was worrying about. I am pretty sure you know this but alot of people don't, the track estimates your MPH it isn't an actually reading. So alot of times when you spin you get a better MPH.

I believe there's two sensors a certain distance apart at the end of the track. Your speed is estimated/averaged between those two points by calculating the time it took you to pass through this zone.

TRIXSNK

DAILY DRIVEN!
Established Member
TheYellowCobra said:
I believe there's two sensors a certain distance apart at the end of the track. Your speed is estimated/averaged between those two points by calculating the time it took you to pass through this zone.
That's exactly right!

:beer:

1slosnake

10 second pilot
Established Member
TheYellowCobra said:
Which ones I could have sworn it was the 330 and the 1/4 but ain't positive.

TRIXSNK

DAILY DRIVEN!
Established Member
1slosnake said:
Which ones I could have sworn it was the 330 and the 1/4 but ain't positive.
Actually i believe they are just before the finish line and about 100-200ft apart if my memory is correct :rockon:

Rudy

Twin screwed
Established Member
Z-06_Killa said:
see sig for MPH, i run 26x11.5x16 ET Streets @ 20psi on a 16" GT wheel(94-95 style) not sure on the width but i think they are 8.5" wide wheels. i would estimate the actual height of the tires on my car with these wheels is close to 27.5 to 28"s. Mickey Thompson advertises 26.6"s i think. only way i would run a 28" tire is if i was making alot more HP or if i was running a 4.10 gear.

did you have to modify anything to make the 16 inch rims to fit

TheYellowCobra

Established Member
Rudy said:
did you have to modify anything to make the 16 inch rims to fit

I think just about any 16" rim will fit. If you go down to a 15" then you'll have to do some grinding to make them fit. I can't remember which company, but someone claims they makes a 15" rim that will fit over the stock brakes.

Z-06_Killa

slow and untuned!!!
Established Member
TheYellowCobra said:
I think just about any 16" rim will fit. If you go down to a 15" then you'll have to do some grinding to make them fit. I can't remember which company, but someone claims they makes a 15" rim that will fit over the stock brakes.

The fronts on my car are 15x4's they cleared on another cobra with just a spacer and 3" studs. Mine required that the weld on the inside of the wheels be polished down, and the brake caliper be ground down. The Rears are 96-98 GT wheels(silver 5 spoke i had the years messed up, unless they were used in 94-95 also) with ET Streets, 5lug 114.3mm lug pattern(5x4.5) any 16" wheel with this patter *should* fit especially if its off a mustang.

BTW i am trying to use 15x10 Centerline Telstars to match my fronts, but the other guy still hasnt got them in for a test fit on my car(he is solid rear).

I believe the Weld Racing Prostar XP series are the ones you are talking about that dont require any grinding or modifications to the brakes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread