03/04 Cobra Stock Heads

Dfresh15

Banned
I'm a noob to this Termi world. Been wanting one for many years and I finally have the money to get one. While doing some research I'm hearing about the possibilities of a TICK in the Driver's Side Head with these cars. Does ALL 03-04 Stock Cobra Heads have the same cooling and TICK potentials? Also I heard the 03's have 4 threads for spark plugs and 04's have 9 threads. So my question is should I lean more towards buying an 04' Cobra?? Or is the 03' just as good and reliable?? I have no plans on putting big power into this motor. Wanted to leave it mainly stock. Thanks

GodStang

Established Member
There was a great write up back in the day from Livernois I think it was about the 4 or 5 changes the heads went through in 03, 04, and finally 05. If you are not going big power I would not worry about the thread count as it was not as a big of a problem as the 2V had. As far as the tick if it has not had it by now pretty sure it will never get. Just make sure you get the car looked at before you buy it if you are worried.

cj428mach

Established Member
As far as the tick if it has not had it by now pretty sure it will never get. Just make sure you get the car looked at before you buy it if you are worried.

I think it has more to do with mileage than time.

My 03 had 7500 miles on it when I bought it 2 years ago, within 1000 miles the head tick was there.

I'm a firm believer in the head cooling mod now, and I suggest using e85 if turning up the power as it helps keep everything cool. I'm pretty sure my head tick started after playing with 600rwhp on gasoline, no head cooling mod, stock thermostat on a 100+ degree day. Probably the perfect recipe for getting the head tick lol.

The only head that had the "fix" was the 2005 revised heads which obviously never made it on a cobra from the factory. It seems like the later the head casting number the less likely to get the tick for whatever reason. The tick is actually loose valve seats so maybe Ford improved the seat fit after the first ticking heads.

Last edited:

GodStang

Established Member
I think it has more to do with mileage than time.

My 03 had 7500 miles on it when I bought it 2 years ago, within 1000 miles the head tick was there.

I agree but usually more time = more mileage. I know not all the time.

Dfresh15

Banned
If only you'd read the link that was already posted - all the answers are in it:

www.terminator-cobra.com/castings.htm

Obviously I didn't quite understand 100% of the info or I wouldn't be asking!! I thought that's what these forums are used for...INFORMATION THAT PEOPLE NEED HELP WITH. Just ignore my posts and you don't have to worry about it. Damn. You've told me this twice now since I created these Threads.

hotcobra03

Established Member
if it helps. .

mine is 03

4 thread and 9 thread went on mine

im now on newest

no issues on passenger

no cooling mod..

I also recall reading on another site a few yrs back on issue with valve seat and why with pictures

GodStang

Established Member
Obviously I didn't quite understand 100% of the info or I wouldn't be asking!! I thought that's what these forums are used for...INFORMATION THAT PEOPLE NEED HELP WITH. Just ignore my posts and you don't have to worry about it. Damn. You've told me this twice now since I created these Threads.

Don't get worked up he is just trying to plug his website.

If there is a specific color you want I would start there and if it is an 03 then take it one step at a time. Many 03s out there with zero issues and of course many of the 03s never ended up with the tick or had a fix done.

cj428mach

Established Member

Whats so hard to understand about what he posted. Its probably some of the best info out there and what I used when battling the tick on my car.

Many 03s out there with zero issues and of course many of the 03s never ended up with the tick or had a fix done.

I think a lot more Cobras tick than people really know. I've been around a lot of them and they just have a very light ticking noise that you can hear from the drivers side fender well. You almost don't hear it over the noise of the car, my car ticked really bad. Now that its fixed it doesn't tick at all.

Dfresh15

Banned

If there is a specific color you want I would start there and if it is an 03 then take it one step at a time. Many 03s out there with zero issues and of course many of the 03s never ended up with the tick or had a fix done.
Cool thanks man. I read the articles and seen how the heads were pretty much the same with the potential of the TICK and how the Spark Plug Threads were different from 03 to 04. So I guess my main question is the 04' more reliable than an 03' because of these Spark Plug Threads or any other 03' issue. Just a generic question cause I'm 100% new to the Termi world. And some guys already said it's ok and don't matter. My friend had a lightning and the plugs blew out of them heads so.....That's why I asked for opinions. Thanks guys

Quick Strike

Established Member
You don't see many threads about 4 thread plugs blowing out, but there are some. Lots of these heads are seeing cylinder pressure and HP close to double stock HP without issue. Many of the failures described are due to maintenance and procedural issues like leaving the plugs too loose, over tightening, lack of anti seize on the plugs and removing plugs when they are hot.

I have owned my car since new and have done all of the maintenance on it since with the exception of s few warranty issues. Being careful and consistent in these procedures may have more to do with success or failure in these heads then any inherent weakness.

Last edited:

Dfresh15

Banned
It's not that hard to understand. Since some of you supposively KNOW SO MUCH about these cars, I was just looking for a nice simple honest answer since I'm in the market to buy one. Thanks

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
From my perspective the mod motor heads are prone to the tick by the exhaust gasses torching the valve guides due to the lack of a boss cast around the guide (this was probably done to increase "flow"). Most all major manufactures extend the casting along the entire length of the exhaust guide to shroud them from the blast of the exhaust and to conduct the heat away from the guides. During an extended WOT run with the supercharger at max boost I can all but guarantee the exhaust guides are glowing red hot which softens the steel guides. # 7 and # 8 are the first to go because they get the least amount of coolant flow which is the reason for the cooling mod which I highly recommend.

Having only 4 soft aluminum spark plug threads is something Ford screwed-up and they had lots of warranty claim because of it which is why they switched to 9 in late 04. My advice is if you get a set of 03 or early 04 heads is to install steel "lock & stitch" inserts in all 8 holes regardless. I would drop down 1 or 2 heat ranges on the plugs to compensate for the less heat conductive steel inserts over the factory plug threads tapped into the heads.

If you buy used heads make sure the cam bearings are in good shape or you will have real problems.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Without a doubt this is the best Terminator reference site on the web bar none!

jrgoffin build thread on mods fords ain't bad either and is the first place where I would go if I'm not sure of something

:rockon:

Whats so hard to understand about what he posted. Its probably some of the best info out there and what I used when battling the tick on my car.

Thanks, guys. There is a ton of info that I have compiled over many years which is beneficial to anyone that owns or wants to own a Terminator. The key is reading. Some people crave the social interaction and spoon-feeding of a forum, so to each his own.

The Aluminator has cruised right along. All done as of this weekend, other than coolant and oil, along with a couple minor items, and I'll be ready to turn the key (link in sig).

So, what? See what I wrote above.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread