03-04 cobra OEM flywheel - is it aluminum or steel?

paradigm

Established Member
Can anyone tell me if the 03-04 Cobra flywheel is aluminum or steel? If aluminum, can it be resurfaced (i.e. does it have a removable friction plate)?

I am trying to see if I can get a used one locally to resurface and put into my 2000 GT (anyone know if this will fit, my '2000 GT uses an 8 bolt Windsor crank).

Thanks

cbr repsol

Established Member
Oem is aluminum, I hear they can be resurfaced. They dont have a removable puck like some aftermaket ones. It is a 8 bolt so it should fit if u have a 8 bolt crank.

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
Oem is aluminum, I hear they can be resurfaced. As far as fitting your gt , I dont think it will. The non forged cranks are 6 bolt and forged cranks are 8 bolt.

correct. However, they shouldnt be resurfaced. Should be replaced as a whole unit.

paradigm

Established Member
My GT uses an 8 bolt crank (it is a Windsor motor). The Cobra flywheel would fit, but it needs to be mated to an 11" clutch, as it is not drilled for a 10.5". Also the friction plate on it is steel and can be removed and replaced, however it is difficult as it is apparently riveted in.

Quick Strike

Established Member
Aluminum with a steel insert riveted to it. They can generall be resurfaced once if the damage is no too deep. Then you will need to look into a unit with a replacable bolt in insert.

Users who are viewing this thread