03-04 Cobra NEW headlight assembly with 3M film or are there detailing options?

The long and short of it is, that I am getting ready to install a new headlight assembly from LMR, on my passenger side.

My oem headlight housing on that side was tore up, and I messed up trying to restore the headlight housing. Rookie detailing mistakes.

But is there a way to make the new headlight housing more resistant to hazing and wear, through detailing products as opposed to using the 3M clear film that AmericanMuscle sells?

The reason I'm asking is because for whatever reason, that pretty much has me perplexed, since driver side headlight housing is still in pretty good shape.

My passenger one was just in awful shape, which is why I tried one of the headlight restoration kits. I don't understand why my passenger side one would wear more badly than my driver side one. And I have a set of the Ford OEM headlight housings.

Any input, suggestions, etc. would be gratefully appreciated. :beer:

jdcobra

Established Member
Either jet seal from chemical guys or cquartz sealant work pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Either jet seal from chemical guys or cquartz sealant work pretty good.

Thanks for the suggestion bud. I have JetSeal and have been real impressed with it on my exterior, prior to using Collinite845.

I wasn't aware that it was also beneficial on our plastic headlight lenses.

Never heard of cquartz sealant. What's your experience with that particular sealant?

jdcobra

Established Member
Yea jet seal is really good for plastics that oxidize as well, chemical guys have used it in a couple of their headlight resto vids. Cquartz is top notch, no other way to explain it. It may be pricier but I think if you use jet seal once every six months or so you should be good.

Yea jet seal is really good for plastics that oxidize as well, chemical guys have used it in a couple of their headlight resto vids. Cquartz is top notch, no other way to explain it. It may be pricier but I think if you use jet seal once every six months or so you should be good.

Thanks for all the great info.

I'm going to buy Cquartz. I'm always interested in new products that I haven't tried. Thanks again for mentioning that sealant. :beer:

First I've ever heard the name of that product. Been reading some real impressive things about it. And I can't resist giving it a try. From what I have been reading, seems to have real strong gloss properties but more importantly, seems to have a real strong resistance to many of the elements my car is subjected to.

jdcobra

Established Member
If you have Instagram or Facebook, check out clarity auto detailing. Those guys are the best here in Houston and use cquartz on everything lol.

No problem man, glad I could help! :beer:

Weslsew

Established Member
I coated my headlights with cquartz dlux after restoring them. Cquartz dlux is the version made for plastics. It's only been about 6 months so I can't tell you much about how long it lasts but it's holding up great so far. Also, you can coat all of your plastic trim with it too

mooch29

Low n' Slow
Established Member
I have mine wrapped in clear Lamin-X film. I just wax it with whatever I'm using. Still looks brand new. If you're worried about restoring your headlights, I personally would buy a new set and put some nice film over them.

Users who are viewing this thread