03/04 Cobra - GT500 5.8 swap?

bomrrman84

Established Member
anyone know if this swap has even been considered or ever done? swapping a 5.8 from one of the new GT500's into an 04 cobra? could be a cool project also, what about swapping a GT500 5.8 motor into a 99 lightning :) any thoughts on this?

itSSlow98

Established Member
I think for the price of the engine/blower combo you could build a lot better shortblock wth a bigger blower.

Cobra03SC

Established Member
like they said, you can build yourself a much stouter 4.6 variant and strap a big twin screw on it for alot less and make more power safer. I think in a few more years there will be more and more 5.8 swaps, but to me the prices right now are too high compared to other options.

stangfreak

Established Member
The 5.8 is expensive. Ford racing sells the block itself and its way to much money. Keep in mind, its a bare block. I was going to do it but I couldn't justify the price. It is nice to have the cubic inches.

I want to put together a 5.0 boss block, high compression and do a twin turbo setup or keep my current 2.9. leaning towards the turbo's though.

stangfreak

Established Member
5.0 boss block with a 4.0 whipple . Zero fabrication and all you would have to do is change the hood.

The 4.0 whipple, you will have to run 25-30lbs at all time. can you drive it on the street? I guess. would I consider it a street friendly blower? not really. That blower will produce so much heat drivng around. don't let that "twinscrews run cooler" fool you. Its a huge blower that wants race gas and high timing. plus most of us don't have e85 or willing to test out the fuel every time you fill up the car and maybe need to change the tune. The biggest I would go for our cars is a 2.9 whipple or a 2.8 mammoth kb setup.

My friends 2.8 mammoth on a stock motor through a 4r70w auto made 740rwhp on 25lbs and mustang magic doesn't have a high reading dyno. But its off the car and now has turbo's.

If you want major power, going from a 2.3, 2.6, then a 3.4, then a 4.0, your going in circles and wasting money. Im guilty of doing that. The turbo setup will walk away from that 4.0 blower. Now if your happy with 700-750, keep the blower.

musclefan21

Established Member
Why even build the cobra motor. Throw a big blower on and turn up the moost. Sooo many folks in the 800rwhp+ with a bone stock motor and beating the shit out of them without any issues. Have the proper supporting and cooling mods, properly tune, you are good.. If you want more than 850-900rwhp, then yeah go build something.

Users who are viewing this thread