03-04 bilsteins on my convertible

01BlueCobraVert

Established Member
Should I look for coupe or convertible struts since my cars a convertible? With them being valved different and the cars being heavier in the front, are the coupes better for me?

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
If I recall the coupe springs are actually valved more aggressively, but I may be wrong. I think either could work but hopefully someone else will chime in.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
Good question. I know if you buy new Bilsteins, MM will (or at least did at one time) recommend Sports for coupes and HDs for verts. I don't know if there's a difference between OEM Bilsteins between coupes and verts though.

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
found this, hope it helps:

"Looking at the other Bilstein post, you are looking for the Bilstein HD units. The -h1 were replaced with -h3 some years ago. These struts I have are not the ones you are looking for.

The 03 Cobra ones are approximately 1" shorter than the HD units, to compensate for the factory lowering for the 03 Cobra. 03 Bilstein Coupe version should also have revised damping rates than the HD units to match the higher rate springs used on the 03 Cobra (600lbf/in for the 03-04 Cobra vs. 470 lbf/in for HD). These dampers I have would only work well with stiffer springs rates similar to the 03-04 Cobra coupe springs.

Bilstein Convertible version are matched to 500lbf/in springs. These would be equivalent to the HD you are looking for, with the exception of the shorter strut length to compensate for the factory lowering."

"the vert is 115-120lbs heavier and the springs/shocks/struts vary (are softer) and they have less stiffness overall"

SilverNotch

Established Member
Are the factory 03 cobra shock/struts any good? Would they be an upgrade? I have steeda springs would they work well?

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
^I ran that combination for a number of years and it was fine. 03 Bilsteins would be better than the stockers, but you're still probably under-dampened.

Lefty10

....Slow....
Established Member
I picked up a set of 03/04 Termi Vert Bilsteins for mine. Definitely better than the stockers from the '01 and I'm very happy with them so far.

SilverNotch

Established Member
So would the vert vs. coupe what would be better for my lowered 01 cobra coupe with steeda springs? Also, do the factory bilsteins have any kind of lifetime warranty? If so, what does this warranty cover?

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
So would the vert vs. coupe what would be better for my lowered 01 cobra coupe with steeda springs? Also, do the factory bilsteins have any kind of lifetime warranty? If so, what does this warranty cover?

There's no warranty on the factory shocks/struts. You can have them rebuilt by Bilstein and then they'll be warrantied. The cost was less then half of a new set IIRC.

Lefty10

....Slow....
Established Member
Maximum Motorsports said if you're going to be using their coilover kit for Bilsteins and you want to use factory 03/04 Bilsteins, that you should have the ones from a coupe Termi. Give them a call to double check.

Users who are viewing this thread