02 sensors and x pipe

palehorse

Established Member
Questions about O2 sensors, extensions, and simulators.

My friend who drives a Red '98 Cobra just recently had a new x-pipe put on. It got rid of his Cats. Two of his O2 sensors are not long enough to reach the bungs to screw in. We know we need extensions.

A speed shop told him he will need O2 simulators as well because his light will still come on.
Does he need simulators without cats to make his light stay off or will he be ok with just some extensions?

We saw some exhaust ones you plug into the bungs. They were advertising they work better than the electronic simulators.

How do you think he should go about fixing this issue so that he can get licensed and emissions done with no problems?

MOmystic

WashMOmystic
Established Member
palehorse said:
Questions about O2 sensors, extensions, and simulators.

My friend who drives a Red '98 Cobra just recently had a new x-pipe put on. It got rid of his Cats. Two of his O2 sensors are not long enough to reach the bungs to screw in. We know we need extensions.

A speed shop told him he will need O2 simulators as well because his light will still come on.
Does he need simulators without cats to make his light stay off or will he be ok with just some extensions?

We saw some exhaust ones you plug into the bungs. They were advertising they work better than the electronic simulators.

How do you think he should go about fixing this issue so that he can get licensed and emissions done with no problems?
My car has passed emissions several times and I have an off road x pipe also. All that I did was put O2 extensions on and my computer was programmed to keep my check engine light off.

palehorse

Established Member
Thanks for the reply, so if i understand your tuner turned off the back 02 and the it passed fine? what about MIL, I see that referred to her but don't know what that means? Do you have those on your car?

Last edited:

txSVT

Established Member
i am running mil eliminators that i spliced into my o2 sensor wiring. they are cheap and the check engine has stayed off...flowtech longtubes into bassanis.

MOmystic

WashMOmystic
Established Member
palehorse said:
Thanks for the reply, so if i understand your tuner turned off the back 02 and the it passed fine? what about MIL, I see that referred to her but don't know what that means? Do you have those on your car?
I used to have MIL eliminators on my car, but I sold them because the only thing those are used for is to turn off your check engine light with offroad exhaust. I did'nt need them because my car was already tuned to have the check engine light not come on. My car has passed emission testing for the last 3 times I've got it done flawlessly. If you ask me, I think the emissions is a bunch of bull. They don't even look under the car to see if you have cats.

PACIFICGREENSVT

Established Member
i bought the bbk sims and the light still was on . so when i got it tuned the dude turned em off. so the rear o2s are just pluging the holes.

Cobra Was Here

I Miss My Cobra
Established Member
Those extender wires are usually for longtubes... at least that's what mine were used for. Those MIL elims do both extend and "send a signal back to the ECU saying that there is a change in the o2 readings." My MILs didn't do crap haha. So, the extender wires are made for longtubes because the o2 fittings move down so much. The MIL eliminators are for the non-catalytic x-pipes. If you want to save some money, just plug those holes with the o2 sensors without hooking them up and use that 60 bucks you saved towards a tuner which will turn off the o2 part of the computer.

Users who are viewing this thread