02 gt vs 05 srt4

Modestoe3

Established Member
I've known this guy for a while he ha had his srt4 for about 2 years. Back when I had my sn95 he was behind me in a one way street and decided to do a fly by and just pass flying by me in a 2 lane neighborhood. Ever since I never seen him driving again. Until a week ago, and this time he pulled up next to me at around 2 am and I was driving my 02 mustang gt with is full bolt on 373 and a bama tune. I had my friend with me and he was alone. So I honk it off and I pulled on him by a car, I was waiting for his turbo to spool to catch up and pass me but his front bumper bearly reached my door and once I went into 3rd I started pulling away and we did it again and it was the same thing all over again. I have him a thumbs up and and he said good race. The other night at a car meet my friend raced him with his Evo x and it was a close race to, they both ended up saying each other's mods and he had mild bolt ons. I was wondering how you guys do against srt4? I know those things can be pretty quick

Kiohtee

Established Member
I'm not sure what "mild bolt-ons" consists of, but as an SRT-4 owner I think you beat the driver (all bias aside). I could totally see this outcome with your full bolt-on and geared GT versus a stock SRT-4, but a "mild bolt-on" SRT-4 should make more horsepower than your GT, identical torque (to the SRT-4's HP) and weigh less. They don't really suffer from lag with a stock turbo at stock boost but maybe it had boost leaks?

Either way, good kill. 2Vs can still hold their own and SRT-4s aren't the sleepers they used to be. :beer:

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
Considering a mopar stage 3 Neon on HOM was an easy 11.9 @ 118-120 mph trap car I doubt he had any if very few mods to his car. You could easily make 350 whp on a 2800 pound car. I had the older brother of the srt4 the Caliber version. On stock turbo, stock intercooler, stock O2 housing I was making 360/370 fwhp. Car was a sleeper from a roll. Car never hooked in 1 nor 2 second on a street tire. Third gear...wow.

Famine

Established Member
Considering a mopar stage 3 Neon on HOM was an easy 11.9 @ 118-120 mph trap car I doubt he had any if very few mods to his car. You could easily make 350 whp on a 2800 pound car. I had the older brother of the srt4 the Caliber version. On stock turbo, stock intercooler, stock O2 housing I was making 360/370 fwhp. Car was a sleeper from a roll. Car never hooked in 1 nor 2 second on a street tire. Third gear...wow.

Hey before the SHO, I contemplated that as my beater for day to day. You don't see too many of them around, and there is adequate space in them. I'm not sure if the interior is as shitty as the neon's though. I had an 04 back in the day with boltons. Loved it other than it being a neon lol.

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
Hey before the SHO, I contemplated that as my beater for day to day. You don't see too many of them around, and there is adequate space in them. I'm not sure if the interior is as shitty as the neon's though. I had an 04 back in the day with boltons. Loved it other than it being a neon lol.

Ha, I traded my Srt4 Caliber in on 13 SHO. Ran 12.9 with Unleashed tune. Traded it for my stang. Lol.

They are not too bad. Plastic mainly inside. I miss my Caliber. Fun as shit to drive.

Famine

Established Member
Ha, I traded my Srt4 Caliber in on 13 SHO. Ran 12.9 with Unleashed tune. Traded it for my stang. Lol.

They are not too bad. Plastic mainly inside. I miss my Caliber. Fun as shit to drive.

That's where I'm at now. Saving for the unleashed tune with dp, thermostat, plugs, and 3bar map sensor. Quick off-topic question: Which dp would you go with? I want catless, but are you not able to eliminate the cel for going catless with the sho based on how the ecu does the checks? I'm just trying to understand that correctly. I haven't looked too much into it since I just finished with the 5.0 and wasn't spending money on the sho quite yet.

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
That's where I'm at now. Saving for the unleashed tune with dp, thermostat, plugs, and 3bar map sensor. Quick off-topic question: Which dp would you go with? I want catless, but are you not able to eliminate the cel for going catless with the sho based on how the ecu does the checks? I'm just trying to understand that correctly. I haven't looked too much into it since I just finished with the 5.0 and wasn't spending money on the sho quite yet.

What I did is just removed the second (shared) cat. Just had two straight pipes welded in. I did the 3bar map and actually did quit a few logs for Torrie as some field development for him. You need to have him back the shift points down to 5200-5400 tops. At 6k rpms the car is loosing major hp and tq. The car is done making power after that and you want back into the meat of the torque curve. After my 3bar, second cat delete, and lowered shift points the car got real fast. Never ran it after those additional mods, but my guess is easy 12.5. Don't bother with the front cats. It also really helped the car from a roll btw... ;)

Last edited:

Modestoe3

Established Member
I'm not sure what "mild bolt-ons" consists of, but as an SRT-4 owner I think you beat the driver (all bias aside). I could totally see this outcome with your full bolt-on and geared GT versus a stock SRT-4, but a "mild bolt-on" SRT-4 should make more horsepower than your GT, identical torque (to the SRT-4's HP) and weigh less. They don't really suffer from lag with a stock turbo at stock boost but maybe it had boost leaks?

Either way, good kill. 2Vs can still hold their own and SRT-4s aren't the sleepers they used to be. :beer:

Well all I seen was a k&n intake exhaust and a diablo sport. Then he mentioned having a bov and other things I can't remember. So I thought I would just say mild bolt ons, lol but yeah those things run pretty fast I was surprised I was able to beat it but there is a yellow one around town that's pretty fast and is a cool guy I'll ask him if he wants to do a run to see how the difference would between those two. Cause I do know that yellow was only available in 03 and those came with less hp but I'm not really fully knowledgeable on those cars! But I did read an article on them and they made great power with bolt ons! Much better then out 2v's!

Kiohtee

Established Member
A win is a win is a win, so don't worry. I have both a 2V and an SRT-4. :beer:

A Neon SRT-4 with intake, exhaust and a DiabloSport should be good for about 260-265whp and identical torque.

MineralCobra

Established Member
Thats a good run. I had an 03 GT exhaust , 373 gears bigger tb plunum tune and got walked by a bolt on srt4 back in the day. Srt4s were dangerous when they came out light weight and made great power. Bearly see any on the road these days.

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
Srt4 roll monsters. I owned a 2000 GT and it was not even close IMO to (regardless of bolt on 96-04 GT mods n/a) to the 4 banger snail...

Hybbs

Established Member
I think when the SRT 4 came out, they were the fastest car for under 20k. I saw a pretty stock one in Gainsville running mid 13's on hot night. I had a 01 Mustang Gt with a few bolt ons, and I was running low 14's @ 100mph with stock tires....traction was an issue. I could see you hanging with one....

Users who are viewing this thread