02 GT mechanical help

KITT

Established Member
Well, I've had my 2002 GT since about 2005/2006 and I plan to keep this car as long I can see as it will most likely land in the hands of one of my kids.

Anyways, it's reaching close to 100K miles and well, it's still running fine but really needs to have some work to get it to par. It will need a minor overhaul and will need to get the typical tune up and fluid changes however I need to figure out a couple things that are bugging me.

1) My IAC had been acting up and caused my RPM's to raise about 3-500 RPM'S at random (idle and cruising). I cleaned it real quick and the RPM's will still raise maybe about 100 RPMS but ALOT better than it was, I was going to clean it again maybe alittle better and see if that helps. I hear a click right before it raises....any other ideas to take care of this?

2) I suspect maybe something in the motor mounts or U-joints perhaps? But when I let off the gas after acceleration I hear a clunk or clunk clunk. It's not smooth at all. This only happens when letting off the gas. Almost like being in too high of a gear or not enough gas strating from a dead stop and it starts to buck som. I have a 5 speed too.

My car would be so much more enjoyable to drive if I could get his 2 things solved.

-Curt

Last edited:

KITT

Established Member
I'm thinking it's the U Joints as well. I know it's not hard to replace the U Joints specifically, but how hard is it to remove the driveshaft and such? Easy to do at home?

Hissss5

Oni 1
Established Member
Have you clean your MAF sensor and the other sounds like your motor mounts.Mine was doing the same thing ( also a 5 speed), come to find out both motor mounts and the transmission mount was shot... metal to metal. If it was your u joints you would have a very bad vibration when your driving around.

Last edited:

spike_africa

Established Member
Driveshaft bolts can be stuck. I would slide under the car and hose down all the bolts on the rear end with lube a few hours before I touched them. The double wrench method is a must for removing them.

KITT

Established Member
I am almost thinking it might be all of these. I am going to have to setup some time to take a look at all this. I have not cleaned the MAF yet but know it should be regardless.

My car is getting ready to have a bunch of work done to it. I am starting key list of work.

Users who are viewing this thread