02 GT Engine Hesitating/Missing Problems

KITT

Established Member
I thought I would see what others may think would be causing this so I don't have to waste any more time/money than I need to.

I have a stock 5speed 2002 GT with 102K miles currently. The car overall has been great and I haven't needed to really do anything to this car since I bought it with 24K. However with having just over 100K miles it's hit where alot of things need to be addressed.

Moving forward one issue that popped up out of no where after I put the car away for the last 6 months was a hesitating/jerking issue happening usually when it's under load. Most noticeable is when I get on the highway and go into 5th, going about 60ish it would jerk the car pretty hard. Dropping down to 4th helps but I'm running at about 3500 RPMS at that point. I first thought perhaps a fresh fuel filter would do the trick as it seems like a fuel issue. Swapped the fuel filter (hasn't been changed ever) and although it helped in other areas it didn't fix this issue. I'm thinking less of a fuel issue now and more so the spark. So I picked up some copper plugs and will be swapping those in as that would be my next guess (they need to changed anyways). Other thoughts I was thinking were maybe the coil packs, fuel injectors or fuel pump. I don't believe things like the TPS, MAS or IAC would cause this but any suggestions would be great. It doesn't happen when idling and only when I'm on the gas. 92 octane seems to help some but not fully and I don't have a performance tune, just the factory so I should be able to run 87 octane just fine.

Longtubes

Established Member
I thought I would see what others may think would be causing this so I don't have to waste any more time/money than I need to.

I have a stock 5speed 2002 GT with 102K miles currently. The car overall has been great and I haven't needed to really do anything to this car since I bought it with 24K. However with having just over 100K miles it's hit where alot of things need to be addressed.

Moving forward one issue that popped up out of no where after I put the car away for the last 6 months was a hesitating/jerking issue happening usually when it's under load. Most noticeable is when I get on the highway and go into 5th, going about 60ish it would jerk the car pretty hard. Dropping down to 4th helps but I'm running at about 3500 RPMS at that point. I first thought perhaps a fresh fuel filter would do the trick as it seems like a fuel issue. Swapped the fuel filter (hasn't been changed ever) and although it helped in other areas it didn't fix this issue. I'm thinking less of a fuel issue now and more so the spark. So I picked up some copper plugs and will be swapping those in as that would be my next guess (they need to changed anyways). Other thoughts I was thinking were maybe the coil packs, fuel injectors or fuel pump. I don't believe things like the TPS, MAS or IAC would cause this but any suggestions would be great. It doesn't happen when idling and only when I'm on the gas. 92 octane seems to help some but not fully and I don't have a performance tune, just the factory so I should be able to run 87 octane just fine.

I'm by no means an expert, but I'd do every basic checklist item and tuneup first, then maybe look at transmission mounts or maybe a fluid flush.

Massie02GT

Established Member
My thoughts would be with spark plugs. Are you throwing any check engine lights? I would guess a coil pack going bad, but that would cause a misfire and hopefully a check engine light.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I would do spark plugs and coil packs first. Those can go bad without throwing a code.

Users who are viewing this thread