02 Focus - What should I look for?

Kafn8td

Viperia Aspis
Established Member
Going to look at an 02 SVT Focus, not sure on the options, has 42,000 miles on it. Motor was replaced under warranty (crate motor) when it had an oil issue. It also has a new clutch (under warranty). It was originally a buy back from Ford for the stall problem. He is asking $8,000 for it. What do you guys think and anything else I should be looking for?

Primaris

Established Member
The stalling problem is an ECU issue. If the latest factory tune doesn't help the car you can go with an after market tune.

Why did the car loose oil?

I would play up the buy back and try to get it for less.

If you are aware of the standard SVTF issues and the car doesn't have any major problems because of the standard issues I'd just look for regular used car stuff:
@42k I would think the stock dampers are shot.
Look for worn linkages/ball joints.
Cat?

elliot400

Certifiable SVT Poster
Established Member
Agreed. Listen for the clutch at idle with pedal in, then out. Brakes are probably gone. Heat shields, lower motor mount movement. Only problems I can think of. E-

Kafn8td

Viperia Aspis
Established Member
Thanks for the replies. I was told it was bought back before the stall fix came out. I am going to see it this afternoon. The owner is in our SVT club, and I know he takes good care of the outside and interior.

Primaris

Established Member
I just realized you are looking at an '02. The '02s had more problems with the intake. Some developed leaks. On '03's and up they used worm clamps to solve the problem. I've also noted a lot more '02 owners complaining about DSI problems; the controller and at the DSI clip.

Kafn8td

Viperia Aspis
Established Member
Let's see, Motor was replaced about a year ago under warranty (oil starvation). New updated clutch instaed shortly there after under warranty. New (updated?) intake installed a few moths ago along with the DSI. Car is in great shape and drove very nice. No squeaks or rattles. Brakes are in great shape (may have been replaced?) He's asking $8k.

Primaris

Established Member
Can you find out the part numbers for the version of the updated clutch in the car? I'll check them against the latest TSB info that I have.

Why was there an oil starvation issue?

I think 8k might be a bit high for a car with such a torrid history, though.

Kafn8td

Viperia Aspis
Established Member
I can get the part numbers. The SVT Tech that did the clutch intake and a bunch of other things is a good friend of mine. Paperwork doesn't say why, it just says oil starvation, replaced under warranty. As clean as it is, I was thinking 8k was pretty fair, new engine, new clutch, new intake...

wagonman72

Established Member
My 05 is under investigation for lemon law with the BBB as we speak. I love the car, but it likes to visit the dealer for issues too much. I've tried to negotiate with Ford corporate for awhile but no one ever responds to my calls. So far the offer is for reimbursment of the money I have paid towards the extended warranty. While I appreciate the gesture all I really want is to get out of the car and into a Mustang GT. The car has left me stranded a couple of times and been in for every issue spoken about on this forum except the clutch. My SVTF used to leak oil like a sieve to the tune of about 10+ visits to fix the leak, I had thought they finally had it fixed about a year ago but the leak returned about 2 months ago. I still refuse to be a Ford hater and while this car has been a pain in the rear since new it still out steers, stops, and is just plain more fun than any other car I have ever owned. Anyway enough ranting, If you do buy the car either get it cheaper than 8k or make sure it comes with some sort of Ford factory warranty, You'll need it. Oh and one more thing, my SVTF currently has about 45,000 miles on it.

Users who are viewing this thread