'01 vs '03

VintagePorscheG

Old School SVT Poster
Established Member
As my first love (after God and family) is all things Porsche, I can say that the boxter S is a great car, it is also faster than my Grand Prix GTP. It is not as fast as my 916-6 GT with a 3.6 liter 911 motor in it. The cobra is faster than the Boxter but most likely not as well built. The cobra is most certainly no 911. But for 38995 plus tax title and tags I can't have any of the others new. I can't even have a regular Boxter new. It will be a stretch for me to be able to have a 03 Cobra and I am just thankful that God has let me have the means to have one. Lots of people cant have a car like that....

fangstang

Established Member
Originally posted by TTAFB_SVT
SlvrSnke 01

I ma about 40 minutes from pittsburg,i live in a town called point marion near uniontown. I didn't really notice in the engine compartment. I'm gonna order my exhaust soon. I'm going long tubes,o/r x,cat back. Any opinions?

I'm going the same route you are w/exhaust. I havnt decided on which brands to chose cause I'm sure JDM will come out w/headers for the 2003. I want BBK longtubes, O/R spintech X-pipe, and either the FR500, or Spintech exhaust. Its up in the air right now. I will be putting my K&N, and Tri-ax shifter on the first week I get it. Oh yeah, I also have 4.10's sitting under my bed waiting to be installed!:coolman:

Daniel Moran

Established Member
01 vs 03 and BMW tech

Read Jim Campisano's comments on future development of the mod motor in the August issue of MM&FF (page 50). He cites the BMW M3 development as a model for Ford and the mod mill as I did back in my April posting to this thread.

Nino

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
I own a Zinc Yellow '01 Cobra coupe and, like many others, have contemplated trading it in for a '03 Cobra. But I think I'm going to stick with the '01 and make it a threat to any '03 stock Cobra, all while staying naturally aspirated. It's certainly possible as many '99+ owners have run low 12's while staying n/a.

My plan involves not only increasing the power of the Cobra with bolt ons (I'm not touching the motor, except for adding a spare intake that will be ported), but also reducing the weight of the car as much as possible. If you want to beat your opponent you have to know his weaknesses, and weight is probably the '03 Cobra's biggest weakness. There's a great thread on the Corral listing a bunch of ways to reduce the weight of the Mustang. I'm also considering going to a solid axle which not only drops about 85 lbs off the car, but also aids in launching harder.

Another "weakness" I see is that most (not all) '03 owners will probably not soon add any mods because, (1) they just dropped more than 35 large ones on a car, and (2) because of the fear that the dealerships are going to be trigger happy to void their warranties when they spot a mod. That means that super sticky tires like Nitto drag radials are probably not on their list since they have brand new tires. I still have my old Nittos from my '97 Cobra so this will definitely give me an advantage off the line. Add 4.30s or 4.56 gears and my Cobra will probably have the upper hand, or at least match them, on take off.

That's the skinny on my plan: improve the power to weight ratio and maximize the equiptment that I already have. Oh, and one other thing: practice launching and shifting!

Cheers!:beer:

Daniel Moran

Established Member
01 vs 03

Nino, my 01 is a yellow coupe also. I talked to my dealer today and for a G note downstroke I can reserve his last allotted 03 from the first batch, my color choice and, at or near MSRP. I did some soul-searching on the subject, took an hour walk and decided to keep my 01. It looks too good and runs too sweet. It has no mods and will likely get none. I figure in 18 months the car mags will be plastered with photos of the next gen (2005) mustang and if it sucks I'll get a late production example of the current blown cobra. By then it ought to be debugged and the best mods will be well documented. Given the effort Ford put into the 03 It's likely Ford will have even more juice in the 05 (blown 5.0 32v ?). I agree that the dealers will be on the lookout for pullies or exhaust work on the 03s and may be quick to void warranties. The Lightning crowd may have some input on this.

Nino

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Daniel,
Yup, if anything I'm waiting to see the next-gen Cobra. My current Cobra is pretty nice and at 0% interest, I can't afford to take a hit on the trade in for a more expensive car. I'll just have to mod it to keep up with the Joneses.

Steve

Established Member
Re: 01 vs 03

Originally posted by Daniel Moran
Nino, my 01 is a yellow coupe also. I talked to my dealer today and for a G note downstroke I can reserve his last allotted 03 from the first batch, my color choice and, at or near MSRP. I did some soul-searching on the subject, took an hour walk and decided to keep my 01. It looks too good and runs too sweet. It has no mods and will likely get none. I figure in 18 months the car mags will be plastered with photos of the next gen (2005) mustang and if it sucks I'll get a late production example of the current blown cobra. By then it ought to be debugged and the best mods will be well documented. Given the effort Ford put into the 03 It's likely Ford will have even more juice in the 05 (blown 5.0 32v ?). I agree that the dealers will be on the lookout for pullies or exhaust work on the 03s and may be quick to void warranties. The Lightning crowd may have some input on this.
That is EXACTLY the same thing I was thinking. I have a feeling the '05 is gonna be really great, I might save up for that. If I don't like it, I buy the last of the '04's. I am too much in love with my '01 to give it up now, especially the way she sings at 4K RPM. :-D :coolman:

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Is this true?

I was told that the 2003 cobra motors were tested so brutaly that they blow-up motors just to get the ultimate bottom end. Is that true? If so, than the 2003 cobra motors is probably able to make over 550 hp safely unlike the 99 and 01 (with a intake and Vorteq or something like that to forcing that much air) with a STOCK bottom end, who cares if its heavy iron. The reasoning behind my question is, I want to supercharge my motor, I'd be happy with 450rwhp (who wouldn't) and I don't thing the stock bottom end will hold-up as well as the 2003 bottom end would? IMA it would be easier to buy a 2003 bottom end rather than build a motor with better pistons,rods etc.... Any one out there with a 99 or 01 with a S/C with a stock bottom end, making over 450 rwhp safely. Anythoughts?

Also, per-say I got 450 rwhp, now the rears gona go, right? The stock sh*t cann't handle that for sure. But the 2003's are those the parts we want? Ford states that they increase the performance (rear?). With the extra power did they beef up the cv-joints etc.... , are the parts interchangable 99-01's? My ears(eyes) are wide open. Anythoughts? :bored:

SVTman74

stupid people make me mad
Established Member
I dont know if it has been discussed or not, but the 03 cobra has the radiator from the R and basically the rear end including half-shafts to support the increased torque. The block was designed to handle the SC it has dual throttle bodies, and the heads have been tweaked, forged pistons, and forged crank Iron block. John Coletti was quoted saying they blew up 9 engines before they got this one, also saying the engine was bullet proof.

of course engineers said the same thing about my car back in the day, and the tbird sc goes threw head gaskets like a baby goes thru diapers ( on most cars, not mine yet) If the engine in the SC can handle 450 HP ( 3.8 v-6) which some are at. Then there is no problem for the 03 cobra reaching 500+

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
S/C 99 cobra to take a 03

SVTman74, thank for the follow-up. I guess theirs not to many 99 or 01 cobra with S/C on this board. Just want to see how long they would last on a stock bottom end. Also I've read that the 99 and 01 are under compress rating. More the 99 than the 01's. If this is true its only better for a S/C? Right?:??:

Leftywayn

Established Member
TTFA says...
If I'm worried that people will say "hey you had to buy it supercharged to beat me" then I'll say "so?" Seems simple. Either that or I'll take it to aricer spot and pop the hood and tell them I did it myself. They'll never know.

And run the risk of one of them knowing the truth, then being labeled a complete bullshit artist for the rest of your life.

But then bullshit artists run that risk all the time anyway, don't they.

TTAFB_SVT

BETHA'S BACK !!!!!!!
Established Member
Originally posted by Leftywayn
TTFA says...

And run the risk of one of them knowing the truth, then being labeled a complete bullshit artist for the rest of your life.

But then bullshit artists run that risk all the time anyway, don't they.

You no understand sarcasm so well eh? It'll be alright. I don't really much care if a ricer thinks I'm bullshitting.

On a side note,since this post I decided on a 01 cobra so I could choose my own blower. Now I can tell all the ricers I did it myself and have no fear of my bluff being called. Ain't life grand?

DLV

Established Member
Swayed

Glad you're seeing things my way.:D And remember:
2001 vs. 2003
Thanks to Arthur C. Clarke and Stanley Kubrick, 2001 will always sound cooler than 2003.
Now I just have to work on Jimbo keeping his '98, whether or not he gets an '03.:thumbsup:

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Re: Swayed

Originally posted by DLV
Now I just have to work on Jimbo keeping his '98, whether or not he gets an '03.:thumbsup:
Don't have to convince me :-D, I know the right answer. Problem is we have a two car garage and I can't fathom parking such a rare and beautiful car, outside for the South Texas elements to destroy (and before you say it, I won't be parking the wife's Infiniti outside either...LOL). Besides, I can take comfort that someone else will get to enjoy the '98, as much as I do...:thumbsup:

mike99

Established Member
I have a 99 and an 03... the 03 feels like a big block car while the 99 would be a small block... The 99 is an excellent car but I always wished it had more torque. My prayers were answered!

SVTNICK

Established Member
Lets face it..all our Cobras are cool..fast..fun to work on and modify...and better yet...not so hard on the wallet....persoanlly..if you are a car guy, you love all fast american muscle cars...and we love eating rice for dinner...lol.

btw..for all other 96-01 cobra people, SVT told me today that FOrd will be releasing the SC for purchase sometime soon. Thats if you are like me an into the roots type blowers(ive given up on KB for the their 01 system..bastards)

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
ok then

:beer: SVTNICK, you the man. Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm with ya on the roots style blower also. I want the low rpm torque, not up stair 6,800 rpm power. Ford should be releasing alot of sh*t soon for the 4v cobra. :p

Users who are viewing this thread