'01 vs '03

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Re: 01 vs 03

Originally posted by Daniel Moran
I think a dose of that tech plus more displacement and tuning refinements could have kept the Cobra under 30k.

if the '01 sticker was 29,825 (with all 3 options mind you, but i haven't seen one yet that didn't have them) , i don't see how you could add ANYTHING and keep it under 30K....

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Re: 01 vs 03

Originally posted by Daniel Moran
Are iron engine blocks and high-rise hoods the way of the future for Ford performance?
No, and there never will again. This is the last of an era of musclecars. That's what makes the "Terminator" special...:-D

TIAMAT

Established Member
The thing that is great about this thread is that it will never die. The power and cockiness a 4-wheeled rocket will give you is staggering. The 03' is bad ass and the 01' is great. The problem with these cars is their resale. The person who picks up their 03' tomorrow will want an 04' when they come out. No matter what you have in the driveway no one is content. I'm never content. I have the fastest pickup on the streets and i'm still looking at every new hot rod that comes out. The thing about the f-body cars is complete brute force. It's the throwback idea, big motor uncomplicated chassis. Bang for the buck nothing matches it except for it's twin. The mustang has gotten better but a little soft around the edges. I hope this cobra holds it's value well in its new configuration. Everyon enjoy what you have and whats on the way. I wouldn't run out for an 03' if there is nothing wrong with my 01'. If you can afford the big hit of trading in a car that doesn't hold it's value well, get an 03'. Never be a slave to a car payment. Easier said then done!!!
Burnouts for all my men---- J-mart

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
Well I could rename this thread 98 Vs 99.. comparing the sleekness of the 98 body to the sharplines on the 99, the agressive hood scoops on the 98 to the 99.. BUT looks of a car are just that.. LOOKS and will always be personal subjective..

VintagePorscheG

Old School SVT Poster
Established Member
Go and pick up the new Road and Track Magazine.

Its got a green car on the front....

Within its pages you will find an article on the first drive of the 2003 Cobra, I think its page 36.

There the comment is made that the 2003 makes the 2001's peak torque number at like 2600 rpm.

So, Do we really need to argue this any further...

Hands down a stock '01 will get dusted by a stock '03...

Sure the money is obscene, but isn't that what makes America great?

I have been trying to figure out a way to put the following on a licence plate:

" Hey all you hippie bastards, get a load of this overpowered, gas sucking, ozone depleting, obnoxious display of wealth and move your hybred electric piece of crap outta my way... "

just kidding.... lol

VintagePorscheG

Old School SVT Poster
Established Member
No but they did talk about the tail wanting to break loose when you get on the throttle.

Road and Track is a bigger fan of cars like Porsches and BMW's... I think they are going to like this Cobra alot because of what it will be able to do to a BMW on a road course.

Still guys its no 911.

Looks forward to getting mine.....

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by VintagePorscheG
Sure the money is obscene, but isn't that what makes America great?
Wasn't the '01 coupe $30,000? $5,000 for a supercharger/intercooler, T-56, 17X9s, 00R IRS, Bilstein suspension and an aluminum driveshaft (all with a warranty) sounds like a bargain...:-D

Daniel Moran

Established Member
MSRP on my 01 was $28,605 (base). With chrome wheels($395), spoiler($195), and mats($30), it stickered at $29,225. Shipping was an additional $600.

DLV

Established Member
For the price, the '03 is a wicked deal. I've never had a problem with the price, I'm just a N/A purist, because anybody can force induction to make a car faster. Hence its popularity with the street racers. Of course a stock '03 will dust a stock '01, and a stock '01 a stock '98, and a stock '96 a stock '95, etc. I just said that for me, there are other considerations. I realize that I'm in the minority in that regard. And I actually do like the exterior appearance of the '98 better than the '99/'01 (especially blue). But I wanted new, had the cash at the time, and got the extra benefit of more power, IRS, dual seating surface, and euro signals. But as I stated, nothing beats the '96-'98 Mach III hood. And I guess I've gotten my fix of the throttle breaking the tires loose with my '92 5.0...:D

TTAFB_SVT

BETHA'S BACK !!!!!!!
Established Member
well i just got home from work and wanted to share my news with everybody here. i went to a dealership yesterday and traded in my 01 gt for a slightly used 01 cobra coupe. it has 6000 miles on it,tinted windows and eibachs. it's in better than perfect shape. someone also painted the door jams where the windown switches are yellow to match the car ala saleen. it's an awesome car and now i have to cancel my 03 order. i would have loved to have the new cobra but i really wanted to have a vortech on my cobra so i bought an 01 and now i'm saving pennies for the blower. it's a great car but now it's time for mods. i would still love to have an 03 but i only had the gt for 6 or 7 months and i'm definetly gonna have to keep this one way longer. probably wait maybe for the next gen mustang and save up for the cobra. i can now see why everyone raved about the 4v. thanks for the help guys.

TTAFB_SVT

BETHA'S BACK !!!!!!!
Established Member
Thanks jimbo. I am absolutely amazed at how much tighter this car is overall than my gt. i just feels like another class of car. the seats are a huge leap in the right direction. for instance,when you are slowing down in second,and you downshift to first,the gt just lunged forward where as this car doesn't really do that at all. If you jump on it from 2000 r's you really don't feel real impressed but if you do the same thing at 4000 then it's just a complete mind numbing experience. i can't really say enough about how different a car this is than the gt. anyone getting a 03 should consider themselves blessed. it will be the best of both worlds. power at any rpm. cobra's get so many stares but that my have something to do with it being yellow.;-)

Daniel Moran

Established Member
zinc yellow coupe

I know the feeling. My yellow 01 seems to draw a lot of favorable comments from strangers. By the way, SVT told me there were only 347 zinc yellow coupes built for 01 (out of 3867 total coupes). You've got a rare car, mister!

SlvrSnke01

Established Member
TTAFB_SVT,

Congrats on the 01 Cobra. I also has an 01GT until the motor blew, you are dead right about the cars being completely different.

One thing you may have noticed is that the GT's motor compartment in primered, while the Cobra gets full paint and clear coat. Talk about a world of difference if you plan on showing the car. I assume every Cobra is this way?

Where in PA are you located?

Bill

Crusader

Established Member
Torn between the two

I have my 01 for sale, and an 03 on order, but everyday I waiver between selling the 01 for the 03 and keeping the 01 and getting started on the mods. I'm telling you, the cast iron and forged pistons are great, but aside from that, I can modify anything else to my liking on the 01. If I want the six speed, no problem I just snap second gear in this one, and tell the dealer I'll pay the difference on the warranty. Huh? Man I wish I could make up my mind. The aluminum is the way to go, hey does anyone know whether or not the 5.0's had forged pistons? I know they had the cast iron. Hell I'll just buy a 95 and put a roots type supercharger on it. Then we'll talk about the 95 having the 03's peak torque at like 3000 RPM! Huh? Can we stimulate some more discussion about this... the 01 vs. the 03. There's lots of cast iron out there...

Daniel Moran

Established Member
Car and Driver 03 test

According to a couple of posts over at Stangnet forum, the new issue of Car and Driver has a full test of the 03 Cobra coupe. It weighs in at 3738 lbs. and runs 4.5 sec. to 60 mph, 12.9 sec @ 111 mph in the quarter.

Last edited:

TTAFB_SVT

BETHA'S BACK !!!!!!!
Established Member
SlvrSnke 01

I ma about 40 minutes from pittsburg,i live in a town called point marion near uniontown. I didn't really notice in the engine compartment. I'm gonna order my exhaust soon. I'm going long tubes,o/r x,cat back. Any opinions?

fangstang

Established Member
I havnt seen the Road&Track yet, but, I have the new Motortrend, and the did a little test on the new cobra. They said that SVT is competing with the M3? They said that while driving it on the test track that it reminded them of the Boxter S. Thats a good comparo. The Boxter S is a very well balanced car with perfect weight distribution. Its also very fast. I think the comparo has more to do with the balanced chasis. They also said that the cobra is a very well balanced performer worhty of the comparo with the M3.

Users who are viewing this thread