'01 Oil Leak

Yellow Horse

Established Member
I took my Cobra to my SVT dealer for two leaks. A fitting on the power steering is leaking and I have a substantial oil pan leak.

I noticed a dirt film collecting around the crank pulley shortly after I bought my Cobra. I got up under the car and noticed a bad looking rolled over extrusion coming out of the front of the oil pan. It is pretty hard. It wasn't really leaking where you could see oil pouring. Just a film. It has gotten worse and worse. When I dynoed this past Saturday, I actually created a puddle 3 inches in diameter sitting on the dyno.

I call my SVT dealer and set up an appointment for Tuesday morning. I ask about the free loaner car for '01 SVT buyers and they tell me only for extended repairs. I tell the that is not what the policy says and they give no response. I ask what they consider a extended repair and they say 24 hours. They take the car in the back and shortly thereafter pull it back out front. I go into the service department and they tell me the power steering leak is under warranty. I ask what about the oil leak. They say you put U/D pulleys on the car and bent the oil pan. I say no I didn't and that it is the gasket that is sticking out. They told me the service manager was out until Monday and that he would make the call. I drove off pissed as hell.

When I got home I decided to call the GM of the SVT dealership. He is nice and says he will check with his service people. HE calls me back and reaffirms what his service people stated to me. I told him that his service man is stupid if he thinks that oil pan is bent. The flange is not even flush with the front of the motor. I told him you would have to stretch it out and pull it down. He then tells me how trained his tech is and theat he is almost a master mechanic. He then tells me that even if the leak is a under warranty, the mods that I have done will cause additional work and cost extra money out of my pocket. I told him that L/T headers would not cause his tech any additional work. He told me that I could either take it to another dealer or wait until Monday. I hung up and called SVT.

They said they could not help with warranty problems. I asked them about the loaner and he said you should get a car no matter the length of repair time. I also asked him if I could take the car to any Ford dealer even if they weren't an SVT dealer and he said yes. The back of the SVT supplemental handbook clearly states that any warranty can be performed at any Ford dealer.

I call another Ford dealer and ask them if I can bring in my car and they tell me they can not do warranty work on a SVT vehicle. I tell them that that's funny because I just got off the phone with SVT and they say that I can and that the handbook also says that it can be warrantied at any dealer. She says really. I say really. I then thank her and tell her that I will file a complaint.

I am going to get this fixed under warranty with no expense out of my pocket. I am about to call the GM again at my SVT dealer and take the car back down and get under it with hime and his dumbass tech and ask him how he can confuse a gasket with an oil pan flange.

Federal law states that the dealer has to prove that a mod caused the problem. Damn I'm glad they fired Nasser from Ford. Maybe now we will see what Ford used to be all about. I know that when they tightened down the oil pan, the gasket extruded and that to get the crank pulley on without it rubbing the gasket, the used a mallet and bent it back.

Yellow Horse

Established Member
Stradt, if you look under the car, there is a 45 degree fitting coming directly out of the pump, that is where mine leaks. It must use an o-ring to seal like a swivel fitting. The line coming out is loose, but the nut is tight.

fangstang

Established Member
I havent had any oil leak, but if I park my car at any kind of a downward angle, even the slightest, it will leak anti-freeze from time to time.

Users who are viewing this thread