01 Irs

snake_01

Crazy SVT
Established Member
I have a solid axle in my 01 and I have my IRS just laying around in my garage. My question is since my 01 has 31 splines, that means my differential must be for 31 splines. Is it as strong as the 31 spline differental that ford sells that was put in the 03 read ends or would I be wasting my time taking it out and putting it in my soled with a set of 31 spline axles?

Jamie R.

Established Member
I don't see a problem with doing that. The '03-'04 had a kevlar clutch pack (I think) but otherwise it was the same.

Jamie R.
'01 Cobra

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Dont waste your time with the stock diff. If your going to that much work get an eaton, auburn LSD etc etc. Anything is better than stock.

Jamie R.

Established Member
Dude the differential is as strong, the clutch pack is just made of a different material. The stock differential's are'nt that bad and can be rebuilt. I've got a stock 31 spline differential in my Factory Stock car and it's held up pretty good.

Jamie R.
'01 Cobra

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Dude, for straight line stuff they maybe fine but anything else and the rebuilding gets much more frequent. Rebuilding them is a hassle I didnt want to deal with so I upgraded. Do what you want I dont care, its not my car. Later dude.

Jamie R.

Established Member
I was just giving my opinon based on my experience, I was'nt trying to start anything dude. I see you road race, I imagine road racing would be harder on a diff. I always feel like the person should buy what they feel comfortable with. Take it easy.

Jamie R.
'01 Cobra

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Im just being a smartass cause you started your post with 'dude'. It made me laugh so I replied the same way. I think all posts should start with dude from now on!
I always feel that if a part can be upgraded while something is all apart then by all means go for it. That's especially true if the upgraded part saves headaches further on down the road. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread